Kefka vs. Sephiroth

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Kefka or Sephiroth?

Kefka
70%
Sephiroth
15%
MAD
9%
Tie
2%
WTF?!
4%

Total votes: 46

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

bah, supernova didn't do nearly as much damage as it made out to be. with the right equipment it barely touched my party. on the other hand iirc, one of kefka or the goddess' attacks is enough to reduce your characters completely down to 1hp.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Darth_Zod wrote:bah, supernova didn't do nearly as much damage as it made out to be. with the right equipment it barely touched my party. on the other hand iirc, one of kefka or the goddess' attacks is enough to reduce your characters completely down to 1hp.
I'm not talking about game mechanics. Everyone of mine was level 99 and Sephiroth was a cakewalk too. But then again... So was Kefka. If we're going by game mechanics Ultimecia owns all. The point is we see Sephiroth destroy planets and make the sun almost explode.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

well . . .if sephiroth was capable of destroying planets and the like, it begs the question of why didn't he do that instead of going through the trouble to get the meteor materia.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

He didn't want to destroy Gaia. That's my whole point. He wanted to wipe the slate clean so he could create a world where he ruled as god.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Lazy Raptor wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Honestly, what has Seph got going for him?
Supernova. Forget Meteor, it was supposed to cause a KT level disaster that would allow him to do whatever he and his mommy wanted to do. The guy can destroy planets and he can cause stars to go critical. Seriously, am I the only one that had to endure that attack?
The solar system being destroyed is more than likely some sort of visual projection designed to instill fear. After all, he can use the attack more than once in a battle, which would be impossible if the solar system was destroyed the first time.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Joe wrote:The solar system being destroyed is more than likely some sort of visual projection designed to instill fear. After all, he can use the attack more than once in a battle, which would be impossible if the solar system was destroyed the first time.
Yeah, that makes sense. I only got hit with it once. Oh, well... *sigh*
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Lazy Raptor wrote:
Joe wrote:The solar system being destroyed is more than likely some sort of visual projection designed to instill fear. After all, he can use the attack more than once in a battle, which would be impossible if the solar system was destroyed the first time.
Yeah, that makes sense. I only got hit with it once. Oh, well... *sigh*
I've had it hit 5 times. *sigh*

And I've had three characters die after Kefka used Fallen One and followed it up with either Goner or physical attacks.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Yeah, you want to hit Kefka quick. The Genji Glove + Offender combo with a beefed up Sabin works pretty well, and then you just pound him with Ultima.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Sephiroth is an angsty pretty-boy that tried to destroy the world (or whatever) because his mommy told him to. He, along with Castlevania Dracula's son Alucard, was the prototype for the long, silvery-haired bishounen type that became so popular in Japan afterward. He was also from the shallowest, most-overrated game in the series.

In other words, Kafka could probably take Sephiroth, much less Kefka. :P
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

What by turning him into an angsty roach....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

He, along with Castlevania Dracula's son Alucard, was the prototype for the long, silvery-haired bishounen type that became so popular in Japan afterward. He was also from the shallowest, most-overrated game in the series.
Nah, they were popular long before that. It's a long-standing (and really annoying) type. I think Americans simply saw more of it after that.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Smiling Bandit wrote:
He, along with Castlevania Dracula's son Alucard, was the prototype for the long, silvery-haired bishounen type that became so popular in Japan afterward. He was also from the shallowest, most-overrated game in the series.
Nah, they were popular long before that. It's a long-standing (and really annoying) type. I think Americans simply saw more of it after that.
Well, it became popular enough that a lot more of it showed up here, then.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Kefka takes Sephiroth and beats his incompetent ass. Real evil gets the job done. :wink:
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

SirNitram wrote:Honestly, what has Seph got going for him?
Weapons.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth_Zod wrote:bah, supernova didn't do nearly as much damage as it made out to be. with the right equipment it barely touched my party. on the other hand iirc, one of kefka or the goddess' attacks is enough to reduce your characters completely down to 1hp.
Seph has that attack as well, Pale Horse.

Anyway, Seph wins, because whilst Kefka is pulling the wings off insects, lasering villages with the Light of Judgement, or generally just flouncing around like a great big tit, Sephiroth ups and stabs him.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

The 18 year old PS2 addict that we call "Space CAdet" at work had this reply.

SC: Sephiroth wins, umm where's "Kefka" from?
Me: Evil clown/general who kills the goddess, absorbs all magic, destroys three worlds, and generally makes everyone miserable in FF6.....
SC: *ulp*

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Vendetta wrote:
Seph has that attack as well, Pale Horse.

Anyway, Seph wins, because whilst Kefka is pulling the wings off insects, lasering villages with the Light of Judgement, or generally just flouncing around like a great big tit, Sephiroth ups and stabs him.
i'd like to take a moment to point out that prior to absorbing the power of the goddesses, general leo attempted offing kefka with his own sword. kefka laughed after getting ran through, like it were nothing and promptly proceeded to vaporize the good general. who i might add would kick sephy's ass any day. :twisted:
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Darth_Zod wrote: i'd like to take a moment to point out that prior to absorbing the power of the goddesses, general leo attempted offing kefka with his own sword. kefka laughed after getting ran through, like it were nothing and promptly proceeded to vaporize the good general. who i might add would kick sephy's ass any day. :twisted:
I thought that General Leo fought a phantom image of Kefka, and then the real evil clown killed him. Celes ran Kefka through with her sword, but at that point he might already have absorbed the power of the goddesses (he'd murdered the Emperor Geshahl but hadn't moved the statues out of alignment).
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

hrrm. i don't know for certain. been awhile since i've played through that part. although i do recall he'd absorbed a great deal of power f rom various espers, but hadn't quite gotten to the goddesses by that point, i don't think. it's been too long since i've played through.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Mayabird wrote:
Darth_Zod wrote: i'd like to take a moment to point out that prior to absorbing the power of the goddesses, general leo attempted offing kefka with his own sword. kefka laughed after getting ran through, like it were nothing and promptly proceeded to vaporize the good general. who i might add would kick sephy's ass any day. :twisted:
I thought that General Leo fought a phantom image of Kefka, and then the real evil clown killed him. Celes ran Kefka through with her sword, but at that point he might already have absorbed the power of the goddesses (he'd murdered the Emperor Geshahl but hadn't moved the statues out of alignment).
He hadn't just yet.

Essentially all he had were the Espers since he was in the process of moving the statues...and the blow delayed him but not kill him.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Really, when you say Sephiroth in his final incarnation you're talking about JENOVA since you also had the Weapons going for it.

Given Ruby Weapon was fucking badass and far harder than Sephy, it makes you wonder. But they were all puppets to JENOVA, the plan with unleashing the weapons to keep everyone busy before Meteor was summoned and hit the planet wasn't somethingthe original Sephiroth would do, IMHO.

In terms of coolness, I don't know. I prefer Sephiroth even if he's the usual long blonde/grey haired, angst ridden, silent evil type as seen in so much animé from Gundam Wing to Cowboy Bebop. Ignore that Marilyn Manson image of the new Advent Children movie, that's so wrong.

http://www.rpgdreamer.com/rpgworld/ff7/sephiroth.jpg

http://www.nealok.com/img_insanity_kefka.jpg

Kefka probably scares more like a certain Stephen King clown.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth_Zod wrote:i'd like to take a moment to point out that prior to absorbing the power of the goddesses, general leo attempted offing kefka with his own sword. kefka laughed after getting ran through, like it were nothing and promptly proceeded to vaporize the good general. who i might add would kick sephy's ass any day. :twisted:
In counter to that I must point ouit that Sephiroth did what has only been done in two other games in the entire Final Fantasy series.

He <i>permenantly killed</i> a party character, people who can be shot, stabbed, blown up, poisoned, vapourised, incinerated, or even have entire star systems blown up around them and be back on their feet with no ill effects after chugging a quick Potion. These are people who are so pernicious and hard to get rid of that even if you <i>do</i> kill them sometimes they don't stop, and he just ups and *bam*, gone.

His sword can batter through character shields that Janeway would be proud to own.
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

One too many love interests on the field means someone's gonna die.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

I don't think Sephirith gets credit for killing Aeris, though. You gotta give that one to Cloud who quite obviously thought she wasn't worth using a Phoenix Down.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Smiling Bandit wrote:I don't think Sephirith gets credit for killing Aeris, though. You gotta give that one to Cloud who quite obviously thought she wasn't worth using a Phoenix Down.
Phoenix Downs restore KOs, not death.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter