Psychology questionnaire: God in school.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Semage wrote:
Lazy Raptor wrote: Non-disruptive is not the same thing as undetectable. The point is school property is not a place for organized worship. No one's stopping kids from praying silently at lunch, recess or study hall. But this "gather at the flagpole" nonsense has got to stop.
How is that disruptive?
Simple, you have an obvious group of people who are obviously using school grounds and school time to conduct their religious business. And if the morning prayer at the flagpole is anything like what I saw back when I was in high school a quarter of a lifetime ago, the groups who sponsor these events go out of their way to actively encourage other students to attend these events (either in person, or through the daily school announcements.) Hence, it is disruptive.
Well then that doesn't fit the definition of "not disturbing anyone," now does it? That being the case, the flagpole prayer meetings are obviously not what the question's asking about and is therefore an invalid objection.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: Psychology questionnaire: God in school.

Post by Rye »

Sex: M

1) Do you believe in God? No

2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow? Scientific pantheist.

3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity? No.

4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too? No. Schools shouldn't "support" religions. Religions are private matters.

5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school? I'm not sure what you're asking, so i'm going to say "no."

6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow?I have no idea what the FCA is.

7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School? Yes.

8 ) If yes, do you believe it should be a required class? Yes.

9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased? Probably, but they'd be at penalty of losing their job for teaching the subject matter in that way.

10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this?Yes.

11) Why or why not? Education of other people's religions/cultures is a good thing, encourages understanding and informs people.

12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course?Yes.

13) Why or why not? Well, RE is a required subject over here, or at least was in my school. I found it most interesting.

14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct? Er..yes?

15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle? No.

16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them? Yes.

17) What about witnessing to people?No. Unless you'd be open to satanic black masses being performed on school grounds too.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
lazerus
The Fuzzy Doom

Post by lazerus »

ge:
Sex:

1) Do you believe in God? No.
2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow? Athiest.
3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity? Yes.
4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too? No.
5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school? No
6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow? Moot.
7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School? Yes.
If yes, do you believe it should be a required class? Yes.
9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased? Yes.
10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this? Yes.
11) Why or why not? So they can see how millions of people have had faith in thousands of different gods. And that all of their faith was totally meingless.

12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course? Yes.
13) Why or why not? Learning never hurts.

14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct? As opposed to what?
15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle? No.
16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them? Yes.
17) What about witnessing to people? No.
3D Printed Custom Miniatures! Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pro ... miniatures
lazerus
The Fuzzy Doom

Post by lazerus »

I can't edit so, i'll add........

3D Printed Custom Miniatures! Check it out: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pro ... miniatures
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Rogue 9 wrote:Well then that doesn't fit the definition of "not disturbing anyone," now does it? That being the case, the flagpole prayer meetings are obviously not what the question's asking about and is therefore an invalid objection.
Every one of those at my school was completely innocuous. That's not the point. And I never said they were disruptive. The questionaire was loaded and the wording deliberately vague. What does he mean by "prayer" and what does he mean by "not bothering anyone"? I'm not bothered when a Muslim kisses the ground. He can suck sand all day for all I care. But unless he was really talking about your invisable "stealth prayer" the fact stands that it is a misuse of school property. Schools are a secular educational institution of the secular government. Not a temple, church or shrine.
justifier
Rabid Monkey

Post by justifier »

Sex:Male

1) Do you believe in God?
No

2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow?
Atheist

3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity?
No
4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too?
No
5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school?
No
6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow?
No
7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School?
Yes
8) If yes, do you believe it should be a required class?
No
9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased?
Yes
10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this?
Yes
11) Why or why not?
Because even if I don't believe in something it is helpful to know the views of others and appemt to know how they will react.

12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course?
Yes
13) Why or why not?
, on the condition that it was taught with the intention to educate about different religions, and not to be a thinly veiled class about Christianity. Also that the instructor themself was not heavily biased towards or against any religion

14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct?
Yes

15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle?
No, anyone who thinks this is either just dumb or really, really high

16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them?
Yes

17) What about witnessing to people?
No
KILL BILL and The Punisher coming APRIL 16!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Sex: male
No
Atheist
Yes, they prop up christianity. However, they arent legally supposed to.
No, see question 5
No
6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow?
Not on campus
7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School?
Yes, so long as it is comparative religion
If yes, do you believe it should be a required class?
No
9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased?
Yes
10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this?
Yes
11) Why or why not?
So that they know why religion is bullshit.
Yes
13) Why or why not?
Because the debates would be excellent.

14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct?
Yes... but religon is not historically accurate.
15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle?
No, if anything it would increase
16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them?
Yes
Yes, so long as they dont get bitchy and defensive when the person doesnt follow like a sheep.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Slayen
Padawan Learner

Post by Slayen »

Sex: Male

No

Deism

Seems that way sometimes so, Yes

I don't think they should support religions period so, No

No

N/A

Sure

No

Not neccesarily, so, No

If its an unbiased course that covers more then the big 3 (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam), Yes

11) Why or why not?
So long as it fits the above, cant see any reason why not.

I am already taking a class on religion, so sure.

13) Why or why not?
See above.

N/A

Not likely

If they are just doing it privatly by themselves such as during lunch or before a test, then sure.

N/A
"We are imperfect reflections of the universe around us. We cannot change the past, we can only learn from it, try to create a future in which such errors do not reoccur. Sadly, we are still working on that last part." , Gkar aka Andreas Katsulas: May 18, 1946 - February 13, 2006 R.I.P.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

1) Do you believe in God? Nah

2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow? Atheism

3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity? Many do

4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too? If they have to support religions, then yes

5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school?Not in any major capacity

6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow? Sorry I odn't know what the FCA is

7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School? Offered, yes

If yes, do you believe it should be a required class? No

9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased? Yes

10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this? Yes

11) Why or why not? Becasue religion is a part of modern society, and worth study

12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course? Yes

13) Why or why not? I find religion interesting

14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct? I would.

15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle? Nope

16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them? Yes

17) What about witnessing to people? Again I don't understand the term
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Rogue 9 wrote:Well then that doesn't fit the definition of "not disturbing anyone," now does it? That being the case, the flagpole prayer meetings are obviously not what the question's asking about and is therefore an invalid objection.
You're missing the point, as usual. The point is that schools are not a place for organized religious worship. They are state properties. They have these things called "churches" for organized prayer and worship. Perhaps you've heard of them; there's one of a different denomination on every god damn block.

No one is stopping a single student from praying at lunch or before a test, but collective, organized religious services are unacceptable.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I know that and agree with you, which you seemed to miss. I'm saying that several people said that no, students should be disallowed from prayer in school. My point is how the hell does anyone intend to stop them? I could be praying and you'd never know it; its not like you have to fall on your knees with folded hands. I'll grant that the question is way too broad, but so are some of the answers. I hope that made my position clearer. I do not support open prayer groups for all the school to see; that's just unnecessary.
No one is stopping a single student from praying at lunch or before a test, but collective, organized religious services are unacceptable.
Agreed in every particular. Can we let it go now?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Please explain why you were advocating "gathering at the flag pole" if you agree with me.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Durandal wrote:Please explain why you were advocating "gathering at the flag pole" if you agree with me.
Advocating? What the hell? *Rereads.* I don't remember saying that.

Okay, I said that if the flagpole meetings were disturbing people, then the question's not about them because the question asked about non-disruptive prayer. I would assume that it presupposes that disruptive prayer would be dealt with in the same manner as any other disruption and be banned already. I fail to see how that is advocating it. You misinterpreted what I said, and I admit the wording could have been more clear. Now can we drop it?
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Semage
Village Idiot

Post by Semage »

First, let me say that this is not my questionnaire.

Second.
Slartibartfast wrote:If most people have something like that (specially if it's the same questions) it's indicative that the questions are loaded.
Or that they did not read my, and Allie’s directions and my tip.

What I say, from here on, is not necessarily what she meant by what she said, but how I read it when I took the survey.
Slartibartfast wrote: 3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity?
Here, you don't specify what kind of school. You're obviously asking about public schools (not Christian schools), therefore "If you mean public schools, then yes" is a valid answer to your ambiguous question.
“School” is a very general word. This means all schools. Do all schools only support Christianity? Some Christian schools do, as will as some universities. Yes, even some public schools. However, there are some which do not. Thus, the statement that schools only support Christianity is not true in all cases. So the answer is “no”.
Slartibartfast wrote: 4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too?
This implies that Christianity is exempt of this. Note that in question 3 you didn't ask "SHOULD", you're asking if they're currently doing this.
Then the question assumes schools support Christianity, regardless of your answer to 3. So answer the question as if they do.
Slartibartfast wrote: 5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school?
"Have religion" is a vague question. Does this mean Christian symbols, people with religious beliefs, a church, religion classes, preaching, what?
It means “Have religion”. Should she have listed everything which falls under the heading “religion”? That would take days. It is meant to be vague.
Slartibartfast wrote: 7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School?
"Class on religions" is vague. It could refer to a theological class - one which discusses what the religions ARE. Or it could refer to indoctrination lessons: classes that teach you to BE a Christian, or a Islamic (sp), or Greek Orthodox, or Buddhist
Right. And again, that is how it is meant to be.
Slartibartfast wrote:Transexual Satan.
HAHA! It’s kind of funny you say that. She and I have this inside joke about that very subject.
Slartibartfast wrote: 9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased?
You aren't giving us details of the teacher, but expect us to know if he will be biased. The most generous answers are "depends on the teacher" (we all know the truth tho if the teacher is a Christian and has to teach Christianity along with other religions)
If the answer is “depends on the teacher”, then the teacher is not biased in all cases, thus the answer is no.
Slartibartfast wrote: 10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this?
Only a nitpick, parents don't have "students".
Heh. She’ll love that one. :D
Slartibartfast wrote: 14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct?
How can a religion be "historically correct"? A religion by definition is based on myth. Are you saying whether it's historically correct that the Spanish Inquisition killed a lot of people in the name of christianity, or that Jesus actually existed or if Zeus and Odin and God are really gods. The question is ambiguous again.
It says nothing about the religion being historically correct. It says if the teachings were historically correct.
Slartibartfast wrote: 15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle?
"Kept" implies that religion has been a part of school all along and people are trying to remove it.
It implies that religion was once part of school and has been removed.
Darth Wong wrote:
It is clearly implied that by "religion", the people writing the survey really mean "Christianity", as opposed to Scientology, Satanism, Japanese doomsday cults, Jedi, or humanism.
Actually, she meant “religion”
Darth Wong wrote:
It is almost certain that any Christian taking the survey will interpret these questions thusly.
Actually, most of the Christians who took it interpreted “religion” as “religion”. As far as I have seen, “religion” (in this case) has not been interpreted as “Christianity” but by you guys.
Darth Wong wrote:
However, this obvious connection is not made clear in the question. The questions are therefore quite misleading, and their conclusions quite misleading, because you don't actually know for sure how someone is interpreting it. A typical Christian might think "yes, it's OK to witness to people" while simultaneously becoming furious if he discovered that Satanists were aggressively trying to convert students at his child's school.
Like I said, there is no inherent connection.
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:
Simple, you have an obvious group of people who are obviously using school grounds and school time to conduct their religious business. And if the morning prayer at the flagpole is anything like what I saw back when I was in high school a quarter of a lifetime ago, the groups who sponsor these events go out of their way to actively encourage other students to attend these events (either in person, or through the daily school announcements.) Hence, it is disruptive.
So visible means disruptive? Or am I inferring the wrong thing, here?
Like the waves on the sea
Were the battles
Until crashing at once
As the great beginning
One mass of order
Turned instantly
To chaos.

And now
[url=http://_semage.livejournal.com]The Reconstruction.[/url]
Darth Wong
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Wong »

Semage wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:It is clearly implied that by "religion", the people writing the survey really mean "Christianity", as opposed to Scientology, Satanism, Japanese doomsday cults, Jedi, or humanism.
Actually, she meant “religion”
So Satanism, Scientology, and Japanese doomsday cults are all included?
Darth Wong wrote:It is almost certain that any Christian taking the survey will interpret these questions thusly.
Actually, most of the Christians who took it interpreted “religion” as “religion”. As far as I have seen, “religion” (in this case) has not been interpreted as “Christianity” but by you guys.
How do you know? Did you interview them all and ask them whether their answers were meant to apply equally regardless of which religion was being discussed, even if it was Satanism or Japanese doomsday cults? You didn't even bother asking the people who answered this thread how they interpreted it before speaking on their behalf! I smell the overwhelming stench of bullshit from you.
"It's not evil for God to do it. Or for someone to do it at God's command."- Jonathan Boyd on baby-killing

"you guys are fascinated with the use of those "rules of logic" to the extent that you don't really want to discussus anything."- GC

"I do not believe Russian Roulette is a stupid act" - Embracer of Darkness

"Viagra commercials appear to save lives" - tharkûn on US health care.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Mike/RantMode/Blurbs.html
Faram
Bastard Operator from Hell

Post by Faram »

No

None

No

No

No

No

If yes, do you believe it should be a required class?
No

Yes

No

11) Why or why not?
Religion is not something that shool should teatch children, that is the parents domain.

No

13) Why or why not?
I don't belive in any god so any course in religion would be a waste of time for me.

Yes, I am intrested in history.

No

No

Not in shool. The shool is for learning not to advance some religious agenda.
[img=right]http://hem.bredband.net/b217293/warsaban.gif[/img]

"Either God wants to abolish evil, and cannot; or he can, but does not want to. ... If he wants to, but cannot, he is impotent. If he can, but does not want to, he is wicked. ... If, as they say, God can abolish evil, and God really wants to do it, why is there evil in the world?" -Epicurus

Fear is the mother of all gods.

Nature does all things spontaneously, by herself, without the meddling of the gods. -Lucretius
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Semage wrote:Or that they did not read my, and Allie?s directions and my tip.

What I say, from here on, is not necessarily what she meant by what she said, but how I read it when I took the survey.
That doesnt invalidate the point of loaded questions. They are too vague with too many unknowns for them to be of any use whatsoever save in validating whatever the conclusion the creator of the survey had in the first place.
It means ?Have religion?. Should she have listed everything which falls under the heading ?religion?? That would take days. It is meant to be vague.
And thus completely fucking meaningless as a survey, it can only be used to validate a predetermined position rather than providing any real information thanks to it's totally stupid nature.

Right. And again, that is how it is meant to be.
Again, that makes it totally fucking useless to do anything but validate a predetermined answer.
Slartibartfast wrote: 9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased?

If the answer is ?depends on the teacher?, then the teacher is not biased in all cases, thus the answer is no.
Bullfucking shit. Yet again, a pointless question as it offers no actual information.
Slartibartfast wrote: 14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct?
How can a religion be "historically correct"? A religion by definition is based on myth. Are you saying whether it's historically correct that the Spanish Inquisition killed a lot of people in the name of christianity, or that Jesus actually existed or if Zeus and Odin and God are really gods. The question is ambiguous again.
It says nothing about the religion being historically correct. It says if the teachings were historically correct.
The teachings about the religions being historically correct and not myth would mean that they would have to throw out all the myths that make religions "religions" rather than history....so, you've got yourself another bullshit question.
Slartibartfast wrote: 15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle?
"Kept" implies that religion has been a part of school all along and people are trying to remove it.
It implies that religion was once part of school and has been removed.
It's also, bullshit...that is not something a survey really has anything to do with. Its like asking "Purple would reduce drug usage?" Yet again it can serve only to validate a predetermined set of results coined by the creator of the survey, which the "kept" part shows to be very much the case.
Darth Wong wrote:
It is clearly implied that by "religion", the people writing the survey really mean "Christianity", as opposed to Scientology, Satanism, Japanese doomsday cults, Jedi, or humanism.
Actually, she meant ?religion?
I'm sure she did, but for christians, religion does mean christianity till someone points out differently.
Darth Wong wrote:
It is almost certain that any Christian taking the survey will interpret these questions thusly.
Actually, most of the Christians who took it interpreted ?religion? as ?religion?. As far as I have seen, ?religion? (in this case) has not been interpreted as ?Christianity? but by you guys.
So, they were all for Satanism in schools? Excellent.

Oh, and see just above.
Darth Wong wrote:
However, this obvious connection is not made clear in the question. The questions are therefore quite misleading, and their conclusions quite misleading, because you don't actually know for sure how someone is interpreting it. A typical Christian might think "yes, it's OK to witness to people" while simultaneously becoming furious if he discovered that Satanists were aggressively trying to convert students at his child's school.
Like I said, there is no inherent connection.
Yes there is, you just need to see the refrences to christianity at the start and realize it is aiming at validating a christian position based upon the completely vague questions that can be interpreted in so many ways a Yes/No answer is less than meaningless.
GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: Simple, you have an obvious group of people who are obviously using school grounds and school time to conduct their religious business. And if the morning prayer at the flagpole is anything like what I saw back when I was in high school a quarter of a lifetime ago, the groups who sponsor these events go out of their way to actively encourage other students to attend these events (either in person, or through the daily school announcements.) Hence, it is disruptive.
So visible means disruptive? Or am I inferring the wrong thing, here?
It can.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
2000AD
Emperor's Hand

Post by 2000AD »

Sex:Male

Nope
Atheist
Nope (at least in the UK)
See below
Nope
NA
NA
8 ) If yes, do you believe it should be a required class?
NA
Yes
Yes
11) Why or why not?
If they want to study religions i don't think i have a right to stop them even if i think it's a pile of bollocks

Nope
13) Why or why not?
Rather take something that i like and would actually come in useful for getting a job.

Nope
Violence: no
Drugs: Yes / maybe
Nope.
If it's against school rules, it's against the rules. The people who go behind the bike sheds / gym / <whatever> to smoke aren't bothering anyone but themselves but they'll still get told off if they're caught as they are breaking (most) school rules.
I don't know what this si, but going by some of the posts it appears to be trying to convert someone to your religion. IMO this is a definate no, especially if the "no religion" rule from the previous question applies.
Ph34r teh eyebrow!!11!Writers Guild Sluggite Pawn of Chaos WYGIWYGAINGW so now i have to put ACPATHNTDWATGODW in my sig EBC-Honorary Geordie
Hammerman! Hammer!
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Okay, a lot of people seem to be missing this, so I'll explain. On the last one, "witnessing" in this sense = proselytizing, or attempting to convert others to your faith. The word witnessing is usually used in this manner by Jehovah's Witnesses (thus the name) and Southern Baptists. Just so its clear to everyone.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yes

OOGABOOGA!!!

No.

No

No

GUMMY BEARZ!!!

Yeah....whatever :?

No.

Yes.

Yes.

11) Why or why not?

Because he can do whatever the fuck he wants.

Yes. Since I want to be a good Christian although not an evil hatemongering one.

13) Why or why not?

Since I want to be a good Christian although not an evil hatemongering one.

Yeah.

No.

Yeah.

Huh? Umm...I guess that's okay. pssst....Billy Joe Jim-Bob, what the dang hell is witnessing to people?
InnerBrat
CLIT Commander

Post by InnerBrat »

Sex: F

1) Do you believe in God? no
2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow? strgon athiest
3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity? no
4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too? yes
5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school? yes. Let me explain. I believe that students should be taught about religion, and not restricted from following it. there should be no offical endorsement of religion.
6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow?yes if the students run it themselves
7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School?yes
8 )If yes, do you believe it should be a required class? no
9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased?no not necessarily
10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this?yes
11) Why or why not?because understanding the others point of view is vital
12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course?no
13) Why or why not?I have other academic priorities
14) If not, would you be interested if you knew for certain that the teachings would be historically correct? no
15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle?no
16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them?yes
17) What about witnessing to people?yes as long as it's students, and not endorsed.
"I fight with love, and I laugh with rage, you gotta live light enough to see the humour and long enough to see some change" - Ani DiFranco, Pick Yer Nose

"Life 's not a song, life isn't bliss, life is just this: it's living." - Spike, Once More with Feeling
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

pssst....Billy Joe Jim-Bob, what the dang hell is witnessing to people?
:roll: Look at the post right above yours.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Semage wrote:First, let me say that this is not my questionnaire.
Then assume when I say "you" I mean the author of the questionnaire.
Slartibartfast wrote:If most people have something like that (specially if it's the same questions) it's indicative that the questions are loaded.
Or that they did not read my, and Allie’s directions and my tip.

The directions are very nice, but then the questionnaire goes out of its way to ask questions vague enough so that people aren't comfortable replying "no" or "yes" to an ambiguous question. Is this a poll or a set theory test?
Slartibartfast wrote: 3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity?
Here, you don't specify what kind of school. You're obviously asking about public schools (not Christian schools), therefore "If you mean public schools, then yes" is a valid answer to your ambiguous question.
“School” is a very general word. This means all schools. Do all schools only support Christianity? Some Christian schools do, as will as some universities. Yes, even some public schools. However, there are some which do not. Thus, the statement that schools only support Christianity is not true in all cases. So the answer is “no”.
The problem with this survey is clear enough now: it's not an opinion survey (like most people would be led to believe), it's some sort of clever "test" to see how people answer to loaded questions. Sure, you said it was a "psychology survey" but it still looks like a damn poll. You should correct that.
Slartibartfast wrote:Transexual Satan.
HAHA! It’s kind of funny you say that. She and I have this inside joke about that very subject.
Not an inside joke per se, it's a reference to The Naked Gun.

... other quotes snipped, as this is obviously not an opinion poll.
GoldenFalcon
Jedi Knight
Location: Busy practicing with a bokken, come near me and I'll whack you with it.

Post by GoldenFalcon »

No.

Lack thereof/Atheism.

In some cases...sadly yes. But in many, I'd say no.

Most definitely, it's never good to discriminate.

No, mainly because even if all religions were taught one would somehow manage to become dominant.

Hmm, yes. More diversity in choices = better.

As long as it doesn't become a "MINE IS BETTER!" fest, then yes.

No, religion is not like Math and English; not required for everyday life.

Varies with instructors, but I'm sure that there are many that are completely objective about that stuff.

It's up to them, yes.

11) Why or why not?

Because I don't see a good reason as to why not.

If I had an interest in the workings of some form of religion, yes.

13) Why or why not?

Already mentioned.

Yep.

No, I highly doubt it. As long as the students inside such a school don't start mini holy wars, then it's safe.

Yeah it's alright, up to them to pray.

Witnessing people pray doesn't change much, if you are bothered by praying then it's up to you to watch it being done or not.
Babylon 5: In the Beginning quote:

General Lefcourt: "My people can handle themselves. We took care of the Dilgar. We can take care of the Minbari."
Londo Mollari: "Ahh, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you."

Coming soon: Firebird Productions
SyntaxVorlon
Sith Acolyte

Post by SyntaxVorlon »

1) Do you believe in God? No
2) If not, who/what do you believe in/what religion do you follow? I'm an atheist so, that or N/A as it isn't a religion.
3) Do you believe that schools only support Christianity? No
4) Do you believe that schools should support other religions, too? No
5) Do you believe that schools should have religion in school? No
6) If yes, should there be programs like FCA for the other religions that members of the student body follow? NA
7) Should a class on religions be offered to the students at Cookeville High School? Yes
8) If yes, do you believe it should be a required class? No
9) Do you believe that if such a class was offered, the instructor(s) would be biased? Depends on the instructor. If the instructor isn't actually a social sciences teacher, but just some generic educator from the employment pool, then bias is almost impossible to stop. A professional teacher would be able to hold back their personal feelings on a topic enough to teach the material.
10) If you are/were a parent, would you allow your student to take a course like this? Yes
11) Why or why not? Understanding human culture is necessary for any well rounded education.

12) If you are/were a student, would you take this course? Yes
13) Why or why not? A nice social sciences course is helpful to one's intellect now and again. And I enjoy learning about different cultures and belief systems.

15) If religion was kept in school, would the violence rate and/or drug usage dwindle? Not likely to have any effect.
16) If religion was not allowed in school, would it still be all right for a person or a group of people to pray as long as they were not bothering anyone else around them? Sure, it's their right.
17) What about witnessing to people? Evangelizing is infringement on privacy in my view, so in basic courtesy, no.
WE, however, do meddle in the affairs of others.
What part of [ Image,Image, N(Image) ] don't you understand?
Skeptical Armada Cynic: ROU Aggressive Logic
SDN Ranger: Skeptical Ambassador
EOD
Mr Golgotha, Ms Scheck, we're running low on skin. I suggest you harvest another lesbian!