To Walk the Line Between, part Three

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Spyder
Sith Marauder

To Walk the Line Between, part Three

Post by Spyder »

To Walk the Line Between, - Original Fiction by Spyder

Truly it was one of the most beautiful things Eric had ever seen. He felt the rumble beneath his seat as the Huntley’s engines boosted their output. A stream of energy was fed into the gravity system and the Huntley gently lifted off the ground. A quick adjustment to the vessel’s attitude controls and the vessel lurched forward and powered on an upward ark. He could almost feel the power coursing through the aging vessel as it ascended into the evening sky. The red evening haze subsided and turned to darkness and stars.

Eric had seen it all before, but this time it was different. This time the ascending vessel was his own. Once on course he stretched back in his seat, a bead of sweat trickled down his brow, although this wasn’t his first time piloting, this was the first time there wasn’t anyone there to back him up, apart from Dev anyway. He glanced over the console. The life support gauges were in the green, AG was looking good, reactor output could have been higher but Eric was expecting this.

With the course set for the lunar colony Eric un-strapped himself from the chair and stepped through the bridge door into the narrow corridor that ran down the front section of the vessel. Around a small bend and in another door Eric was then standing in Dev’s quarters/engineering alcove.

“And if we look out the right side of the spaceship you will see a magnificent view of the planet Earth, otherwise known as the cradle of human existence.” Clearly excited, Eric grinned as he blurted out his tour guide impersonation.

Dev glanced at the brown metal wall to his right then looked at Eric, “there aren’t any windows in here.”

“Yeah, I know. I was just doing a thing.” Eric stood there for a moment while thinking of something better to say. “So, how’s she running?”

Dev typed in a command and brought up a console window showing various readings on the Huntley’s performance. “The reactor’s only doing 90%, it’s not too bad but we’re,” Dev pauses, “loosing fuel efficiency.” Dev spoke in his usual sleepy voice.

“Once we’ve made a few deliveries I’ll get the cell replaced. Until then we’ll have to make do. But anyway, you must be pretty excited too, getting back in space after being Earthbound for so long.”

“Yeah, it’s pretty cool.” Dev spoke in monotone without turning his attention away from the monitor.

“Well, we should be arriving at the lunar colony before too long. I’ll be on the bridge.”

The far away star system dubbed by its discoverer ‘Corsica Nova’ had always held the interest of a number of Earth’s nations. Useful natural materials were abundant, and the first planet, Corsica Prime, could easily support life with a few adjustments. Atmospheric processors gradually increased to oxygen and nitrogen levels allowing humans and Terran plant-life to survive naturally. Nearly a hundred years ago the Northwest and European Blocs colonized Corsica Prime and placed domed colonies on its three moons.

Although their patron nations intended the colonies to function independently the colonists would often enter situations where they would benefit from co-operation and trade. Over the years restrictions on colonial activities have become more intrusive. The current working generation in Corsica Nova grew up there and have never known any allegiance to the flags that still fly on Corsica prime. Nations are not prepared to allow the secession of the source of their economic stability, nor is the business sector willing to suffer the loss of billions of credits worth of colonial investments. Tighter controls would be needed to ensure that the colonists would remain loyal.

The nations would restrict travel between colonies and relax labor laws so the colonial industries could increase their output. Curfews were imposed and security forces were given the right to search colonial property without notification or warrant from the colonial magistrate.

Protests had started becoming more and more frequent in recent years. With the exception of one or two minor incidents they had always been peaceful, until now.

Under the dome on Corsica Nova’s second moon there was a storage warehouse in east section of the central hub. The place was dark and quiet apart from a faint whisper.

“I’m only showing two of them. Confirm the target.”

“Target confirmed. Go get them.”

In a small room at the corner of the warehouse two were sitting quietly at a table having an evening meal when five armed security agents stormed into the room, weapons at the ready.

“Freeze! Move and you’re dead!”

The two immediately dropped their forks, frozen not so much from his command but from the shock of the situation they currently faced.

“Hands were I can see them!” The lead agent pointed his SMG directly at the back of one of their heads as they slowly raised their hands. Their hands were swiftly bound behind their backs before they were both hauled to their feet.

“What’s going on?” One of them trembled.

”Frederick Blake and Alex Carson.” The agent spoke. “You are both under arrest for conspiracy to commit sedition. You will both be taken before the colonial magistrate where you will be trailed for crimes against the citizens of the Northwest Bloc. Come with us now and there wont be any trouble.” As if they had a choice.

Alex was immediately hauled out the door with Frederick close behind.

“We haven’t done anything wrong!” Alex cried as he was lead off.

“You bastards! You and your fucking magistrate will rot in hell!” Frederick yelled as he was being dragged off he kicked out at the security agents and managed to dislodge his side-arm. Frederick caught the gun in his bound hands behind his back, squeezed the safety off while he squirmed on the ground and blind fired the weapon at the agents behind him. Alex suddenly felt a sharp blow to the head before two of the agents rushed him outside.

Alex found his face against the floor of the superstructure as one of the agents pressed his knee into his back. “Blake!” He cried. The silence lasted only a moment before a single gunshot was heard from within. The security agents emerged immediately afterward and casually walked away from the entrance.

“No!” Alex cried. “You didn’t have to kill him...” Tears ran from Alex’s eyes as he lay face down in the street.

“We’ve got one of them, the other was killed while resisting.” One of them called in.

“Fucking colonials should know where they belong.” Another removed his helmet and brushed his hair back immediately before taking a bullet in his head.

The others snapped around to see their comrade fall lifeless to the ground with a soft thump as if it were livestock under the pneumatic hammer.

“Sniper!” The security agents immediately dove for cover and pointed their weapons upward.

One of them ducked around a corner, the next sound that all throughout the colony could hear was the loud piercing rattle of an automatic weapon as the contents of an entire hollow-point cartridge was pumped into the security agent. Each impact sent a fine mist of blood spraying back over the walls. The remains of the carcass fell back into the street leaving a pile of bullet-ridden flesh.

“It’s an ambush, send help now!” The three remaining agents frantically scanned to see the local population closing around them from behind vehicles, buildings and the rooftops.

“God damn it! Fire!”

“The dome!”

“The dome’s thicker then you are damn it, just shoot!”

Bullets began to fly as the three, soon reduced to two, returned fire with their SMGs loaded with needle cartridges. Back at the security station, officers were suiting up for armed combat. None of them knew how many combatants they were up against or how they managed to get weapons into the colony but if they didn’t act fast the situation was only going to get worse.

“Hey, what the hell’s that noise?”

The incoming rocket exploded through the front of the building, killing another four security agents and wounding several others. Colonial security was losing control much more quickly then they had thought.

“This is Eric Sedden of the trade vessel Huntley, I’d like docking clearance thanks.” Eric sat patiently awaiting a response. He casually glanced from side to side, the com-channel was open, everything appeared to be working. After a few moments he searched the main console trying to figure out why no one was responding.

“This is Eric Sedden of the trade vessel Huntley, can I please have some docking clearance?” Still nothing. Eric taps the intercom. “Dev, what am I doing wrong?”

“You need to say who you’re talking to.”

Eric sat in the chair for a moment trying to work out why that wouldn’t be obvious. “Okay.” Eric tapped the com-link again. “Uh, moon people, this is Eric Sedden of the trade vessel Huntley. I request docking clearance.”

Again a moment of silence passed.

“Trade vessel Huntley, this is Lunar control. Are you requesting docking clearance?” Came the response.

“Ah, that’s an affirmative.” Eric answered. “Lunar control,” he whispered, “shit.”

As the Huntley approached, Eric was able to get a look at some of the vessels that were in the area.

Eric could see a large ship in a high lunar orbit. The twin hull design and central conning tower gave away the fact that it was a carrier, that and the numerous fighter bays down either side. Eric could also make out NWB markings on the side. ‘NWB Lysander’ was etched into the side of its massive hull.

Not far away Eric could see another large vessel, a cruiser, but the markings were different. The writing was in Russian and he couldn’t understand and the marking was that of the Eastern Continental Union, a union encompassing all of Russia and stretching down to Bosnia. After the end of the 4th world war, any of the nations in northern Asia and Europe that didn’t become part of the European bloc became part of the ECU.

Eric watched as the ECU cruiser glided passed, ignoring the NWB carrier. “Hey Dev, is it normal have warships from different blocs this close together?”

“Yeah, they get pretty close sometimes. I think there’s some kind of treaty preventing them from doing anything this close to Earth though.”

“Trade vessel Huntley,” the voice of lunar control came over the com-link, “docking clearance is granted. Transmitting docking corridor to your autopilot. Stand by.”

“Oh yeah,” Eric flicks a switch allowing the autopilot to accept the new data, “keeps things simple.”

With the autopilot engaged the vessel effortlessly glides through the open docking bay doors and sets down on one of the enclosed docking hangers. The hanger seals itself before pressurizing. Eric flicks the main console off and heads out the door, meeting Dev in the narrow corridor.

“You ready?”

“Yeah.” Dev responds. The pair proceed through the airlock, one after the other. Once outside they were greeting with metal and plastic walls and a small group outside the ship.

“Eric Sedden?” The one in charge asked.

“Yeah, that’s me.” Eric smiled.

“I understand that you have something for me.” The man said. Dev looked on, unsure of what exactly was happening.

“Yes I do, ready to conclude our transaction?” Eric asked.

“That depends,” the man smiled, “if you got the bread to conclude it.”

Dev was becoming quite sure that he didn’t like where this was going. Eric immediately pulled a remote out of his pocket and thumbed the control. The Huntley’s cargo bay door slid open revealing a large pile of stacking crates.

“One hundred and sixty eight containers of whole wheat sandwich rolls, delivered on schedule.” Eric proudly smiled. Dev was still clearly mystified. “I thought it would be nice to have something in the hold before taking off.” Eric said to Dev. “The Huntley just completed its first trade run.

“You’re running bread?” Dev raised an eyebrow.

“Had to start somewhere.” Eric shrugged.

The interior of the lunar colony was little short of a self-contained bustling metropolis. It was the oldest of the colonies and was home to people originating from all parts of the Earth. The entire city was bathed in a multitude of neon lights and signs second only to Tokyo. The bright lights of the lunar dome were easily visible from Earth.

It was a short walk for Eric and Dev to the nearest registry office. “Well, for this to be worthwhile we’re going to need to find some better contracts. Those sandwich rolls wont cover fuel costs over any great distance.”

“Yeah.” Dev automatically responded.

The pair entered the registry office where a few people were standing around. “Hmm, a newbie.” A woman muttered. Eric immediately stopped in his tracks, for he had seen them on the news and various tabloid shows but this was the first time he’d ever seen one in the flesh. Standing near the registry desk was an eight-foot tall creature with grey skin, long thin arms and two opposable thumbs on each five-fingered hand. The creature’s breathing apparatus covered the lower half of its face. Air could be heard being periodically released from it.

Eric approached the woman behind the desk. “Uh, hi.” He said, trying to pretend he hadn’t noticed the alien standing just to his right. “I’m looking for trade vessel contracts. Has anyone lodged anything?”

“One moment please.” The woman taps away at her keyboard. “Hmm, not showing a lot today I’m afraid. The only one I have here is a run through to Corsica Nova delivering dome components. It’s a bit far out but they’re offering a very good rate for the job.”

“I see, thanks anyway, I might check back a little later.” Eric steps away from the desk.

“Not taking it?” Dev asked.

“No, Corsica Nova’s twenty thousand light years away. We could get attacked by pirates, hostile aliens or just about anything. I want to get some practice at smaller runs first before trying something like that.”

“Okay.” Dev nods with typical blank expression. Eric briefly glances at the alien. No one else seems to care that its there. It must come here often. Eric thought to himself. He recognized the species, Ardaci; a bipedal species from closer to the galactic core. Eric had been told that it was incredibly unusual to see an alien this close to Earth. Most species, especially in the case of the Ardaci, were busy with their own problems to be concerned with the humans.

Whatever it was here for, it wasn’t any of Eric’s business. The pair continued on their way.
:D
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Come to think of it, what kinds of things do people actually like to see in an original fic anyway?
:D
Ravenwing
Padawan Learner

Post by Ravenwing »

nice :) but id put in one or two explanations as to whats happening and how they got there
Image"Iv got little devils running round the place eating socks and pencils, earlier tonight we sobered up someone who thinks hes a god of hangovers and half my wizards are trying to cheer up the cheerful fairy." -Terry pratchett, the hogfather
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Not bad.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.