Rebellion in Paradise.

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

*WHISTLE*

So the Trimunitive, instead of going with the flow, will actually try to directly intervene to save itself from having to reevaluate, by taking a side itself... :?
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yea!

WOO HOOO!

....::cough::......

Very nice chapter. Thank you
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

YAY!!! *CLAPS*
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

Glad to see this fic isn't dead.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Edward Yee wrote:*WHISTLE*

So the Trimunitive, instead of going with the flow, will actually try to directly intervene to save itself from having to reevaluate, by taking a side itself... :?
That's pretty much my intent; if you follow. Section is the preverbial 'conspiracy' imho. So I intend to treat them as such. BTW; what do you think of the 'Trimunitive' , as a concept?
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

A-Wing_Slash wrote:Glad to see this fic isn't dead.
Never!

Though, as I'm sure I've noted before. I write in bursts, and I have what? Three projects going right now? Ok, I have more than that, but I only post.....two.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

Yesss! Another update! Thanks.

Should be interesting to see who the civillian backers of the rebellion are. Hard to believe a handful of admirals would expect to run their own Federation.

Zed Snardbody wrote:
I rather like the run down that she gives to Picard. It drew a nice line in the sand between her ideas and his. People like me, who have read the fic that Steve is writing I think have adopted his view of what life is like in the federation.

I think it would be better served by you when you flesh out your rebellion, to point to the sheltered lives of those on earth, versus those on the colonies and the things that those in starfleet have seen. The faluir's of the war, the separation of the haves and the have nots, and just a difference in the mind set of these different sets of people.
I thought Perim was being a little short-sighted, though understandably still grieving.

The Federation home front is perpetually warm; superbeings and unaligned powers, many still undiscovered, in addition to known threats and rivals playing 4X to the best of their ability. There was an episode of TNG, "The Survivors", where a superbeing called a Douwd eliminated a hostile civilization called the Husnock for killing his wife; not just the raider vessel but the entire species. Keeping the Enterprise, with a fixer crew skilled in exploration, diplomacy, and paramilitary operations where they were doing what they did best, seems like a smart move. The Dominion Wars was a meatgrinder best handled by better militarized vessels and crews. One more Sovereign wouldn't make or break the war, but could make a crucial difference elsewhere.

I know they were desperately short on ships for that war, but that would be in the context of having the capability to contain other Alpha quadrant problems.

Actually, its kind of surprising the Klingons, Romulans, or Ferengi haven't picked a fight they coudn't end; extraordinary contact only seems to happen to the Federation. Perhaps one reason for the nature of the Federation is that they fear a Harry Mud with attitude/ineptitude coming across sensitive alien tech, flubbing a first contact, or bringing home a superinvader. A lot of dead civilizations cluttered TOS, burned out on the endless frontier.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

darthdavid wrote:YAY!!! *CLAPS*
Yes, its great that Knife is hard at work at his FORGE. 8)

Nudge. Bump. Hint-hint.
General Brock
Jedi Council Member

Post by General Brock »

:oops: Um, could a mod please remove my last post (and this one); I had no idea dd was in trouble till I checked out the Senate, and The Aliens wrote Valley forge. My screwup mars this thread, and I am really sorry about that. :oops:
Admiral Johnason
Sith Devotee

Post by Admiral Johnason »

Can't wait for the big showdown.
Liberals for Nixon in 3000: Nixon... with carisma and a shiny robot body.

never negoiate out of fear, but never fear to negoiate.

Captian America- Justice League

HAB submarine commander-
"We'll break you of your fear of water."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Admiral Johnason wrote:Can't wait for the big showdown.
*yawns*

Outrage....blah blah blah....Thought there was an update.....yeargh blah blah rage.....blah blah....what point was there for that.....generic mob incitement chant...

No rage, just echoing other threads, such as Starcrossed or Kuja's stuff.

Well while i'm posting might as well praise the author. It is developing rather nicely into a full blow conflic.t But I like how you have managed to keep the Rebellion more believable. Some authors would have had half the Federation turning tables, but you have a small fraction that is steadily growing into something larger. It doesn't seem like much maybe to some, but I like it. The Section 31 stuff is good and I trust you'll keep the wank out of it.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
Well while i'm posting might as well praise the author. It is developing rather nicely into a full blow conflic.t But I like how you have managed to keep the Rebellion more believable. Some authors would have had half the Federation turning tables, but you have a small fraction that is steadily growing into something larger. It doesn't seem like much maybe to some, but I like it. The Section 31 stuff is good and I trust you'll keep the wank out of it.
I don't like wank, so I will give it a try.

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Seems nicely done so far in terms of characters, although it really reads like one big indulgence in "rar i hate the federation so i am going to smash it". I hope the pro-status-quo Feds start to put up more of a challenge, because otherwise this is going to get silly after awhile.

I also strongly disapprove of what is effectively Bateson firing while cloaked (if the Feds never manage to even pick him up, he was effectively never uncloaked the whole time, and so he was effectively firing while cloaked), that seemed like such a cheap victory and it sets the rebellion up for near-invulnerability against anything less than a battle fleet with coordinated sensors or a starbase.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Uraniun235 wrote:Seems nicely done so far in terms of characters, although it really reads like one big indulgence in "rar i hate the federation so i am going to smash it". I hope the pro-status-quo Feds start to put up more of a challenge, because otherwise this is going to get silly after awhile.
You caught me. I don't like the Feds.
I also strongly disapprove of what is effectively Bateson firing while cloaked (if the Feds never manage to even pick him up, he was effectively never uncloaked the whole time, and so he was effectively firing while cloaked), that seemed like such a cheap victory and it sets the rebellion up for near-invulnerability against anything less than a battle fleet with coordinated sensors or a starbase.
Bateson really only did what Klingon's have done for the last 100 years to the Feds, and 30 years on TV. Cloak to move to a better firing position, uncloak and fire, recloak and move.

Ship on ship, such tactics would work and indeed I would think that Bateson would know them well, since he's from Kirks time and would presumbably either have been in such situations or atleast been briefed on them. With multiple enemy ships, such tactics become null and void. Wtih multiple firing arcs, then can support each other better and bottle up the cloaked ship.