Civil War #7 - Spoilers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:For those of us who haven't kept up with Iron Man, what the hell is this extremis they're talking about?
A weird virus/nanotech thing he used on himself at the beginning of his current series. Increased his reaction times, let him interface with his armour (and any other technology) directly with his mind and gave him a minor healing factor.
Sounds like he ripped off Jake 2.0.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

She just means the next logical stage in development (as viewed by her) since I very much doubt she thinks we are going to naturally gain the power to interface our minds with computers (or rather our Children's children's etc would).

There is no Voyager like million years (and generations) of natural selection at the flick of a button being suggested.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Manus Celer Dei wrote: A weird virus/nanotech thing he used on himself at the beginning of his current series. Increased his reaction times, let him interface with his armour (and any other technology) directly with his mind and gave him a minor healing factor.
Also worth mentioning is that it inspired paranoia and aggressive behaviour in lab animals exposed to it (and the only other human exposed went on a killing spree to crush the imagined conspiratorial federal government).
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sriad wrote: I wonder though, are there any Right-wing comic fan web boards out there where they think this all ended the right way?

.......why would they?

I mean, why would conservatives like it if the Federal Government used a UN police body to enforce US Law, forced US citizens to sign up to serve in it, and also reserved the right to recruit and employ superhuman police agents to the Federal Government only, effectively forbidding the States from operating their own superhuman police teams?

I don't know what section of Idiot-Land is the one filled with people who think that right-wing means evil goose-stepping fascists who want to crush gay people and atheists under their boots with the Power of Christ and force us all to obey the Bible on pain of death while letting mega-powerful companies rape the Mother Earth for oil (is it next to the section filled with people who think that left-wing means evil Communist American-hating atheists who want to shit on crosses and burn the American flag and force us all to live on collective farms under the enlightened rule of the UN?), but would you please leave it and come back to Reason-Land, where people use their brains for something other than skull-weights and realize that political ideology and policy is not determined by a simple left-right axis and that there are conservatives and liberals who value following the Constitution, were pro-Cap, and are pissed off with the outcome to "Civil War" because it was so fucking stupid and offensive?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Yes because...the Right has always been a bastion of civil liberties and equal rights. Especially for gays, minorities, women and such. You need only look at any Fox News broadcast to see a stunning example of Rightist philanthropic idealism. Yep.
Kanye West Saves.

Sunstreaker
Padawan Learner

Post by Sunstreaker »

Steve wrote:
Sriad wrote: I wonder though, are there any Right-wing comic fan web boards out there where they think this all ended the right way?

.......why would they?

I mean, why would conservatives like it if the Federal Government used a UN police body to enforce US Law, forced US citizens to sign up to serve in it, and also reserved the right to recruit and employ superhuman police agents to the Federal Government only, effectively forbidding the States from operating their own superhuman police teams?

I don't know what section of Idiot-Land is the one filled with people who think that right-wing means evil goose-stepping fascists who want to crush gay people and atheists under their boots with the Power of Christ and force us all to obey the Bible on pain of death while letting mega-powerful companies rape the Mother Earth for oil (is it next to the section filled with people who think that left-wing means evil Communist American-hating atheists who want to shit on crosses and burn the American flag and force us all to live on collective farms under the enlightened rule of the UN?), but would you please leave it and come back to Reason-Land, where people use their brains for something other than skull-weights and realize that political ideology and policy is not determined by a simple left-right axis and that there are conservatives and liberals who value following the Constitution, were pro-Cap, and are pissed off with the outcome to "Civil War" because it was so fucking stupid and offensive?
To answer your sudo-retorical question, I've found a site: Seibertron.com. Here's the link to the specific forum topic: ++http://www.seibertron.com/forums/viewto ... art=0&sid=++

I’m “God Sunstreaker” over there. Anyway, enjoy.

Oh, yeah, and I didn't like how the comic ended.
Autobot-Cybertron's Finest

"I've been through alcohol, marriage, and network television. If you want to kill me, you're gonna need kryptonite." - Sam Donovan, Sports Night
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

Incidentally, Sunstreaker, if I may quote/respond to the comment (by you) that you yourself quoted in that link...
The America he wanted to protect didn’t exist anymore.
Which I found interestingly to be the point of Sally's response to Cap's jailhouse talk -- and unlike the last one, which to be fair was a bit of an ambush of the still-on-the-run Cap, this one made more sense (albeit by being more targeted).
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Steve wrote:

.......why would they?

You're totally right. I missed the part of my post where I said all conservatives love fascism.

No wait, I missed that part of my post because it DOESN'T EXIST. Thank you for flying off the handle and assuming I hate all people who are unlike me based on a single rhetorical line of text speculating on hypothetical people's response to a comic book.

Putz.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sriad wrote: You're totally right. I missed the part of my post where I said all conservatives love fascism.

No wait, I missed that part of my post because it DOESN'T EXIST. Thank you for flying off the handle and assuming I hate all people who are unlike me based on a single rhetorical line of text speculating on hypothetical people's response to a comic book.

Putz.
Oh yes, sorry, you didn't actually say that in words. You asked specifically if there were right-wing boards discussing the comics and presupposed a response, as if they might be predisposed to thinking this ended "the right way".

I'm sorry that I might have taken your comments a step too far by inferring something that you might not have meant but which, going by your phraseology or perhaps by the fact that it occurred to you to link the two things in the first place, you most likely do at least think?

Yup. I'm very sorry I have an itchy trigger finger.
Yes because...the Right has always been a bastion of civil liberties and equal rights. Especially for gays, minorities, women and such. You need only look at any Fox News broadcast to see a stunning example of Rightist philanthropic idealism. Yep.
Which wasn't what I said. I asked if it was to be pre-supposed that the right-wing support the SHRA when it has led to things that are rather contrary to the principles of most American Rightists, like allowing a UN police body to enforce US law or allowing the Federal Government to expand it's powers at the expense of individual States (which, while the current Republicans in power have no problem doing so they can keep the electorate and special interests bribed with pork, is generally contrary to most conservatives who favor limiting federal power).

I won't argue that the Right is a bastion of civil liberties because, quite frankly, I think government itself tends to work against liberty because by it's nature it accumulates power until it is barred somehow, and those seeking government are tempted to use power to silence and otherwise oppress groups they don't like? (Hell, the public do the same thing. How many State bans on homosexual marriage were passed by democratic vote?) Hence the need for a Bill of Rights that, even with it being part of the very legal foundation of our government, has been ignored or violated enough times in our history to demonstrate the reason for my views of government and of Power in general.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Gah, punctuation typo. *smacks head on keyboard* Last paragraph, first sentence was supposed to have a period, not a Q-mark.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Steve wrote:
Sriad wrote: You're totally right. I missed the part of my post where I said all conservatives love fascism.

Putz.
Oh yes, sorry, you didn't actually say that in words. You asked specifically if there were right-wing boards discussing the comics and presupposed a response, as if they might be predisposed to thinking this ended "the right way".

I'm sorry that I might have taken your comments a step too far by inferring something that you might not have meant but which, going by your phraseology or perhaps by the fact that it occurred to you to link the two things in the first place, you most likely do at least think?

Yup. I'm very sorry I have an itchy trigger finger.
A very creative inference. Apparently there's a place in Steveland where

"are there any Right-wing comic fan web boards out there where they think this all ended the right way?"
=
"right-wing means evil goose-stepping fascists who want to crush gay people and atheists under their boots with the Power of Christ and force us all to obey the Bible on pain of death while letting mega-powerful companies rape the Mother Earth for oil."

I suppose it must be next to the place where questions are statements and some=all.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I wonder though, are there any Left-wing comic fan web boards out there where they think this all ended the right way?
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I can't see how anyone thinks Civil War ended in a way that wasn't completely asinine.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

As a whole, I liked Civil War. My only complaint is that Cap seems extremely out of character right at the end, in the last few pages of Civil War #7 and during Front Line #11.

The way Cap should have reacted when he realized how much damage was being caused was to order his men to take the immobilized Iron Man and unconscious Mr. Fantastic and teleported out of there, capturing the Secretary of Defense of the United States and the only guy that knows how to operate the whole 42 security system. Then Cap can retreat, cause no more damage, and he has the entire leadership of the pro-registration camp hostage.
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Frontline #11 was.......a huge waste of paper.

The two reporters had a complete 180, from being shocked at Ironman's War Profiteering, what he's done to start a potential war with Atlantis, all of it.....

.....to say he was right and Captain America was wrong the entire time?

Incase they didn't get it, Iron Man and Captain were both forcing themselves towards the last big battle, it wasn't all just Captain America going "rawr, crush smash kill" and Tony sacrificing to make everything good. Stark was being a complete dick, was ultra heavyhanded, violated constitutional rights...hell, the asshole even actively recruited a army of some of the most dangerous supervillans in the USA to help him get the job done!

But yeah..he was right. Good job, your such a Hero Mr Stark. Don't beat yourself up for what you did.

Fuck you Millar....your a major fucking hack.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
Sunstreaker
Padawan Learner

Post by Sunstreaker »

Edward Yee wrote:Incidentally, Sunstreaker, if I may quote/respond to the comment (by you) that you yourself quoted in that link...
The America he wanted to protect didn’t exist anymore.
Which I found interestingly to be the point of Sally's response to Cap's jailhouse talk -- and unlike the last one, which to be fair was a bit of an ambush of the still-on-the-run Cap, this one made more sense (albeit by being more targeted).
Hey dude, respond as much as you like. :)
Autobot-Cybertron's Finest

"I've been through alcohol, marriage, and network television. If you want to kill me, you're gonna need kryptonite." - Sam Donovan, Sports Night
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

DarkSilver wrote:Frontline #11 was.......a huge waste of paper.

The two reporters had a complete 180, from being shocked at Ironman's War Profiteering, what he's done to start a potential war with Atlantis, all of it.....

.....to say he was right and Captain America was wrong the entire time?

Incase they didn't get it, Iron Man and Captain were both forcing themselves towards the last big battle, it wasn't all just Captain America going "rawr, crush smash kill" and Tony sacrificing to make everything good. Stark was being a complete dick, was ultra heavyhanded, violated constitutional rights...hell, the asshole even actively recruited a army of some of the most dangerous supervillans in the USA to help him get the job done!

But yeah..he was right. Good job, your such a Hero Mr Stark. Don't beat yourself up for what you did.

Fuck you Millar....your a major fucking hack.
Millar didn't write Frontline.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

I still blame the entire fucked up series on him.....

Except for Wolverine and X-men's Civil War Tie-ins. Those were actually pretty decent.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I guess I have been reminded of why I stopped collecting marvel and most of DC.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

DarkSilver wrote:I still blame the entire fucked up series on him.....

Except for Wolverine and X-men's Civil War Tie-ins. Those were actually pretty decent.
Wolverine's were the worst of the lot. It implied that the entire war was started on purpose by 'teh 3v1l war profit33rs' at Damage Control to make money, and Wolverine just ran around killing people.

Not to mention Maria Hill being an utter retard and assuming that annulling his mutant powers would stop his claws too, and handcuffing him.

The only good part was watching the Sentry beat Wolverine up, but it begs the question, why didn't Sentry just knock out Captain America in the first ten seconds of the battle in Civil War #7 and end the whole fight?
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

GuppyShark wrote:I dislike the "Iron Prick" sig. Don't blame the victim.
Too bad; I'm not pulling the plug on the uploaded image unless Krauser gives the word... 8) :twisted:
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you know what this series would have worked perfectly, is if you had a pull out, shot of Mephisto laughing, and going on about how he loves it when his plans work perfectly. :twisted:

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

DarkSilver wrote:I still blame the entire fucked up series on him.....

Nah. I'd go with Runaways/Young Avengers -- which was only aimaible in the story means, and suffered due to a bad Colorist (because the artist does/did good work on "Hack/Slash"), if only because fans of both teams have been waiting for it for so long, I was glad that it didn't serve as to big a dissapointment.

Though sometimes I wish that the next 'big event' would focus on this crop of young heroes that Marvel's got going (I'm saying it's "Generation 4" -- as you can track a 'generation' by X-Men classes (Original X-Men, New Mutants, Generation X and New X-Men, repectivly)).

It'd probably keep the cast down, too.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Post by KrauserKrauser »

JME2 wrote:Too bad; I'm not pulling the plug on the uploaded image unless Krauser gives the word... 8) :twisted:
I like it too much and agree with the statement too much to get rid of it anytime soon.
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

KrauserKrauser wrote:
JME2 wrote:Too bad; I'm not pulling the plug on the uploaded image unless Krauser gives the word... 8) :twisted:
I like it too much and agree with the statement too much to get rid of it anytime soon.
Bah, Iron Man is awesome.

Who wants to support the wussy hippie wanker? I mean, seriously.

And he has a butler.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka