Your favorite Sci-fi WMD?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

OmegaGuy wrote:I see and raise you Yuki Nagato.
Yuki hasn't got the same sort of area of effect, though her effects are probably far more varied - given she was able to give a baseball bat a homing mode. However, the largest area we ever see her affecting reality is the size of a classroom. Yuki's boss could probably do it though.

Certainly, if you want cute girls of mass destruction from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, then you can't go further than Haruhi herself. If she's not happy, the entire universe could just go away. To be replaced.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I think I'd have to say the Galaxy Gun.

I mean, it's like the final word in artillery, so far as I'm aware. :D
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Somebody hasn't actually read the thread, then.:D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Batman wrote:Somebody hasn't actually read the thread, then.:D
Guilty as charged, but good heavens, man, its seven pages long! :lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And you think 7 pages is bad? Maybe this isn't the place for you. :)
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Note my use of the :lol: smily. :wink:

I've taken part in threads as long as 41 pages from conception to slow termination. Mind you, I started it, so I think that's easier...
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

I stand corrected, then. :D
Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Dahak wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote: spoilers for Void 1of3
In the book one guy use several of these when he is breaking into a memory vault.
He is not. He is using Nilling-sponges, using the same effect as Nilling d-sinks. It's no Hawking m-sink.
Are you sure? I though it was when ANA heard about the break in that got ANA worried that their blackhole tech had escaped from them.
They were worried when it was used to deal with Troblum's machine. In the vault, it were Nilling-sponges to suck up the energy of the weapons.
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Dahak wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Dahak wrote: He is not. He is using Nilling-sponges, using the same effect as Nilling d-sinks. It's no Hawking m-sink.
Are you sure? I though it was when ANA heard about the break in that got ANA worried that their blackhole tech had escaped from them.
They were worried when it was used to deal with Troblum's machine. In the vault, it were Nilling-sponges to suck up the energy of the weapons.
I just got my copy of The Dreaming Void shipped in from Foreign Parts, so won't be reading any of this or joining in the discussion, even though I normally leap gleefully into black hole talk.

If the thread is still active in a few days though...
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

question, what would happen to a culture vessel if it attempted to effectorize a ship with an improbability drive?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Dahak wrote:
Gustav32Vasa wrote:
Dahak wrote: He is not. He is using Nilling-sponges, using the same effect as Nilling d-sinks. It's no Hawking m-sink.
You're right. I'm sorry.
[spoilers]
I forgot about his planetary hyperdrive. I hope they'll use it.
"Ha ha! Yes, Mark Evans is back, suckers, and he's the key to everything! He's the Half Blood Prince, he's Harry's Great-Aunt, he's the Heir of Gryffindor, he lives up the Pillar of Storgé and he owns the Mystic Kettle of Nackledirk!" - J.K. Rowling
"Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on
the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your
hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Ford Prefect wrote:
OmegaGuy wrote:I see and raise you Yuki Nagato.
Yuki hasn't got the same sort of area of effect, though her effects are probably far more varied - given she was able to give a baseball bat a homing mode. However, the largest area we ever see her affecting reality is the size of a classroom. Yuki's boss could probably do it though.

Certainly, if you want cute girls of mass destruction from The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, then you can't go further than Haruhi herself. If she's not happy, the entire universe could just go away. To be replaced.
In the fourth novel she rewrote the entire universe.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Lord Relvenous wrote:You know i was gonna mention Cerebro. Definately a WMD, but you have to trick someone into using it wrong... so kinda unreliable.
Unless you have people trained to do it that don't give a shit.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

OmegaGuy wrote:In the fourth novel she rewrote the entire universe.
Do you mean Yuki? Because that's just silly. That was supposed to be the exclusive providence of God Herself, if she gets upset.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Do you mean Yuki? Because that's just silly. That was supposed to be the exclusive providence of God Herself, if she gets upset.
Yes I do. I'd explain it but it would be a spoiler.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Haruhi has the stated power of being able to destroy and recreate the universe. Yuki can merely re-write recent history.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

One that just occurred to me is the machine from the book Contact. Somebody pops up with the idea that this machine is intended to wipe out anybody advanced enough to, possibly, become a threat to the transmitting aliens. They send us the plans to a giant WMD, and we eagerly build the thing. It's like having somebody build their own gallows, thrust their neck through the noose, and pull the trapdoor. A nice, elegant method of wiping out a planet.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

An interesting theory, but not exactly a good idea in general. The problem is that in order to actually build the device, they need to already understand the basic principles. For example, suppose someone sends the plans for a nuke back to the 1850's. No way anyone can actually build it, not with the technology to enrich the uranium. You would have to give detailed instructions on how to2 build not just the weapon, but also the infrastructure to build the weapon. That runs the very real risk of the receivers figuring out exactly what the weapon does.

This, is, of course a major problem for your weapon. You now have a group that (1) knows you have genocidal objectives and (2) now has plans to a WMD, that they wouldn't otherwise have. Way to shoot yourself in the foot.

And this, of course, assumes the recipients have much lower technology level than you. If they don't then you're WMD is useless anyway.
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Why bother actively giving something out? You just leave interesting artefacts littered cross the galaxy that attract sentient space-faring species and alert you to a culling. You then don't intentionally help out a race become a threat to you, or have to go around scanning every possible system for life.