Is Religon mankinds first attempt to communicate with Aliens

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Andrew_Fireborn
Jedi Knight

Post by Andrew_Fireborn »

The main point I'd always heard harped upon with the "pyramids = alien construct" crack pot, was how several small shafts lined up with a few stars.

Which discounts both our ancestors ability to build things, and the power of boredom, and the observations it causes.
Rule one of Existance: Never, under any circumstances, underestimate stupidity. As it will still find ways to surprise you.
Astarial
Redshirt

Post by Astarial »

Andrew_Fireborn wrote:The main point I'd always heard harped upon with the "pyramids = alien construct" crack pot, was how several small shafts lined up with a few stars.
But stars move. They may line up NOW, but in a few hundred years they won't, and a few hundred years ago they didn't. :?

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." ~Stephen F. Roberts
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Astarial wrote:
Andrew_Fireborn wrote:The main point I'd always heard harped upon with the "pyramids = alien construct" crack pot, was how several small shafts lined up with a few stars.
But stars move. They may line up NOW, but in a few hundred years they won't, and a few hundred years ago they didn't. :?
They never lined up. They supposedly lined up in 10,000 BC, thus the reason why they claimed the Pyramids were much older than Archaeologists claimed they were. You can see the massive logic dysfunction here, I think--they had a theory about the what the shafts were for (that they were aligned to the stars), and instead of throwing this theory out when the evidence didn't fit it (that the shafts didn't align), they altered the evidence so that it would fit, despite the fact this would require a ludicrous and unparsimonious idea, and then invented a whole pseudoscientific alternate history to the human race to support it!
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.