The heavy metal thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zadius
Jedi Knight

Post by Zadius »

Some of my favorites, mostly folk-black/viking metal.

Finntroll - Svartberg
Equilibrium - Met <--love it
Moonsorrow - Kivenkantaja
Amon Amarth - Death In Fire

Pretty much anything from those bands is good.
Superman wrote:And Metallica is the most overrated shit-stain music ever.
plz die
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I prefer classic metal

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

I am a big fan of Otep. Black/Nu metal at its razor-edged best, with intelligible and meaningful lyrics.
Otep : Ghostflowers
Buried Alive

I also love Powerman 5000's older stuff from before they became Just Another Metal Band.
Powerman 5000 : Nobody's Real
When Worlds Collide
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I saw Static-X in concert this past weekend, and I must stress the my original statement: they are insanely loud. Louder than Gwar. Louder than Manson. Louder than Disturbed. Louder than Korn. Louder than Disturbed. It's awesome, but for the love of bob, bring ear protection!

Also, Shadows Fall and Three Inches of Blood are surprisingly good. I recommend seeing them, too.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
NomAnor15
Padawan Learner

Post by NomAnor15 »

Alferd Packer wrote:I saw Static-X in concert this past weekend, and I must stress the my original statement: they are insanely loud. Louder than Gwar. Louder than Manson. Louder than Disturbed. Louder than Korn. Louder than Disturbed. It's awesome, but for the love of bob, bring ear protection!

Also, Shadows Fall and Three Inches of Blood are surprisingly good. I recommend seeing them, too.
Oh man, you think Static-X is loud....I saw them at Ozzfest, and would have agreed, had I then left. But right after Static-X was Lamb Of God....which was without question the loudest thing I've heard in my life.

EDIT: Does this mean you've seen Disturbed live? You lucky, lucky bastard.
"I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish." - Homer Simpson
Huh. That's less than 10 condoms per person. Though, assuming an even split between gender, that's almost 20 condoms per penis, so I certainly hope that would suffice for the three weeks they're there. -Alferd Packer

This sentence is false.
ArcturusMengsk
Padawan Learner

Post by ArcturusMengsk »

Diocletian had the right idea.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

NomAnor15 wrote:Oh man, you think Static-X is loud....I saw them at Ozzfest, and would have agreed, had I then left. But right after Static-X was Lamb Of God....which was without question the loudest thing I've heard in my life.

EDIT: Does this mean you've seen Disturbed live? You lucky, lucky bastard.
While I don't dispute this, I can only cite my personal experience. I've seen Static-X four times live (three in the past year alone, lucky me), and were in not for ear protection, I would've been completely deaf after each. As it stands, I was only without ear protection once, and indeed, I couldn't hear anything less than a shout until the next morning.

And yes, I had the ridiculous pleasure of seeing Disturbed, back in December of 2005 and in August of 2003. They're great live, but by no means did they damage my hearing. Nevertheless, the 2005 show was nothing short of amazing, and they closed the show with Pantera's Walk. Beeeeeaaaauuutiful!

How long have they been working on their album now? A year? Can't wait for them to get touring again.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Reposting from a different board, I found some cool black metal songs that need to be shared:

Arty stuff:

Arcturus - The Chaos Path

Arcturus - Ad Absurdum

On the more industrially side of things:

...and oceans - tears have no name

Aborym - Mental Stricken Terror Action

Dimmu Borgir - Puritania

And my favourite song: Anaal Nathrakh - When Humanity is Cancer

And the orchestral stuff:

Dimmu Borgir - Mourning Palace

Anorexia Nervosa - Enter the church of fornication - probably the best orchestral black metal band, imho.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Dimmu Borgir is great; they sometimes play them on the Sirius Heavy Metal station. I really like their cover of "Burn In Hell", as well as "The Serpentine Offering."

Another good metal group which I don't think has been mentioned is Scum of the Earth. Think PM5K and Rob Zombie mashed together, because that's exactly what they are. Actually, now that I think about it, their second album was released today. I'm gonna have to go order it!