Free Dr Pepper for everyone in the US! (also some new album)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

YT300000
Sith'ari

Re: Free Dr Pepper for everyone in the US! (also some new album)

Post by YT300000 »

So the album is out. And it's magnificent. :D

The first two tracks are just too modern for me, the tone completely jarring and ragged. It's almost as if Axl is daring everyone to stop listening after this. Because after they're done, the music slides neatly into the new style. We get some nice ballads, some sweeping orchestra songs, and just some great chugging fury. The record has turned out exactly like the songs they played live - the sound is very different, though it does recognizably pick up from where Use Your Illusions left off, but it's still Guns N' Roses. Or, to put it more bluntly - it's still Axl Rose.

Yes, I miss Slash, though he wouldn't have quite fit in on this album. But the amazing licks he played on Don't Cry were just channeling what Axl's song made him feel, hence his solo material and Velvet Revolver not living up to the same standard. Yes, I do miss Izzy's wistful writing style, but after 14 years, Axl has accrued more than enough maturity to fill any holes that Izzy left in the writing. I also miss Duff's pummeling presence, though he'd probably be buried under the mountains of guitar and synth on this album, so his absence isn't really felt.

The point is, Use Your Illusions were straining the limits of the 5-man band, and Chinese Democracy is completely outside of them. Everything is triple-tracked, and the mix is very thick, but very well-done, and only occasionally do certain parts fall victim to excessive compression or poor balancing. It sounds more like old GN'R than one would think, while still managing to have utterly insane song structure. If the World has a funk-jazz-James Bond title song-dance beat-metal-flamenco sound to it. There are literally 6 genres fighting for supremacy, and the balance shifts back and forth from section to section.

If this is what rock n' roll is today, then I'm not sure what rock n' roll sounds like anymore. But it feels like rock n' roll. It's excessive for the sake of being excessive. It's self-indulgent, it's layered, it says what it wants, how it wants, and doesn't care for being shoehorned into any labels, or forced to play in any style. It logically shouldn't work at all, but it does, and it excels. As far as this sad decade for music goes, this is probably the best record of the last 8 years. And if you need further convincing, just look up the songs Street of Dreams or Catcher in the Rye on youtube. But you won't probably won't agree, and Axl doesn't care if you don't agree. And that's why it's still the same music. Because he's been misunderstood, criticized, demonized, wrongfully accused and exiled. But now he's been vindicated.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

lol does this album honestly have buckethead on it?
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

I got the album Friday, too, and my thoughts of it are pretty much: "huge pile of 'Meh'". It isn't exactly godawful overall, and it quite certainly is NOT the best album of the last 8 years, but hey, tastes are different ;)
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

charlemagne wrote:I got the album Friday, too, and my thoughts of it are pretty much: "huge pile of 'Meh'". <snip>
So it's pretty much just like the Use Your Illusion albums? :D
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Tsyroc wrote: So it's pretty much just like the Use Your Illusion albums? :D
Muha :D Well, in my opinion Use your illusion I + II could have been just one really great album by cutting all the filler crap.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

It has the Chinese Government all hot and bothered:
China state media blast new Guns N' Roses album

Nov. 24, 2008, 7:24 AM EST

BEIJING (AP) -- A newspaper published by China's ruling Communist Party is blasting the latest Guns N' Roses album as an attack on the Chinese nation.

Delayed since recording began in 1994, "Chinese Democracy" hit stores in the U.S. on Sunday, although it is unlikely to be sold legally in China, where censors maintain tight control over films, music and publications.

In an article Monday headlined "American band releases album venomously attacking China," the Global Times said unidentified Chinese Internet users had described the album as part of a plot by some in the West to "grasp and control the world using democracy as a pawn."

The album "turns its spear point on China," the article said.

China's Foreign Ministry did not respond to faxed questions about the article, although a spokesman speaking on routine condition of anonymity said: "We don't need to comment on that."

Spokesmen for the Culture Ministry and State Administration of Radio, Film and Television, government bodies that regulate album releases and performances, could not be reached for comment.

The Global Times article referred only to the title of the album and not to specific song lyrics. The record's title track makes a reference to the Falun Gong meditation movement that was banned by China as an "evil cult" and warns "if your Great Wall rocks blame yourself," in an apparent message to the country's authoritarian government.

Songs from the album could be heard on Internet sites such as YouTube and the band's MySpace page on Monday and it was not immediately possible to tell whether China's Internet monitors were seeking to block access to it.

Monitors use content filters that highlight and sometimes block messages containing words such as democracy. That prompted some Internet users to combine English and Chinese characters in their postings about the album to skirt such monitoring.

China approves only limited numbers of foreign films and recordings for distribution each year, partly due to political concerns but also to protect domestic producers.

Live performances are also closely regulated, with bands forced to submit set lists beforehand. The Rolling Stones were asked not to play several songs with suggestive lyrics during their 2006 China debut, including "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Woman," "Beast of Burden" and "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Earlier this year, bandleader Harry Connick Jr. was forced to make last-minute changes to his show in Shanghai because an old song list was mistakenly submitted to Chinese authorities to secure the performance permit for the concert. Authorities insisted he play the songs on the original list, even though his band did not have the music for them.

That came just a week after Icelandic singer Bjork embarrassed authorities by shouting "Tibet!" at the end of a Shanghai concert, prompting stricter vetting of foreign performers.

Despite such restrictions, computer file sharing and pirating of DVDs, computer games and music CDs is rampant in China, meaning that much banned material is available through alternative channels.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

But, what about the free pop?
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I listened to it on their myspace yesterday, I wasn't impressed, but I was never big for GnR anyway. I've heard worse but I've also heard a lot better.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

TithonusSyndrome wrote:lol does this album honestly have buckethead on it?
Yeah, the chicken-hatted freak's fingers are all over the album. :lol:
charlemagne wrote:
Tsyroc wrote: So it's pretty much just like the Use Your Illusion albums? :D
Muha :D Well, in my opinion Use your illusion I + II could have been just one really great album by cutting all the filler crap.
See, that's where we disagree, I think those albums had no filler, and all the songs served to develop the mood. That is, with the possible exception of The Garden of Eden on I (that quick burst of punk always seemed misplaced), and My World on II, which I think was just a joke to break the seriousness, sort of like the credits of Being There. Otherwise, it's a regretful but defiant tour through the memories of failed loves and false friends, bookended by two versions of Don't Cry - one at the start, before the narrator realizes just how much he's lost, and one after he takes stock and decides to move onwards.

But, well, you can see how much I love this band. :D
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman