Magister
Magister

Re: Good Medieval or Knightly movies?

Post by Thanas »

...It also sucks.

The 13th warrior is an abomination.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Thanas wrote:...It also sucks.

You see, no movie is going to be 100% accurate for any particular time period; however, action, drama, compelling characters in a good legend/myth like atmosphere? Yeah, I think it's just fine.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Knife wrote:
Thanas wrote:...It also sucks.

You see, no movie is going to be 100% accurate for any particular time period; however, action, drama, compelling characters in a good legend/myth like atmosphere? Yeah, I think it's just fine.
Compelling characters? WTF?

The 13th warrior was boring and an insult to the very idea of the vikings. You know, freaking neanderthals?

EDIT: Sorry for sounding like a raging madman. It is just that whenever I hear of that movie, I fly into some kind of blinding rage.
Last edited by Thanas on 2009-10-27 05:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

A Knight's Tale (featuring the late Heath Ledger) is perhaps worth a go, although it was mis-marketed and didn't seem to know what tone it should've had.

Although not about knights in particular Robin and Marian (1976) is still highly recommended, and it starred Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Robert Shaw, and Richard Harris. It featured a knight as a prominent bad guy.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Brilliant film, due entirely to Morgan Freeman and Alan Rickman.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Darth Wong wrote:Does Robin Hood count as a legitimate knight movie? I think that in order to be a knight movie, the film should focus primarily on (you guessed it) knights, and Robin Hood is no knight.
Well it isn't knightly, but the medieval theme might fit. To be honest I can't think of many non-Fantasy films or series that fit the bill.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Few knights but one badass cruel evil dragon...Dragonslayer!

flight of the dragons was a decent kids dragin movie, like the villain though (hell it should be a favourite here to some, fantasy is defeated by LOGIC and SCIENCE!)

BTW: The robin hood movie does include knights, just norman knights instead of your romantized knights. The setting would have been 1192 and the norman influnce was still present.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Robin of Sherwood as a series does have some knights in it, including an episode with Templars, but its primarily for the medieval setting.
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I'm rather partial to "Robin and Marion" with James Bond and Holly Golightly.

oh and if you have the stomach for it, Flesh and Blood.
Robin and Marian is depressing. My mom wanted that movie because she like Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn. It's a pretty good movie but don't go in thinking it's going to be some big adventure movie. It's more of a character thing with an older Robin and Marian.

Flesh and Blood (aka Flesh+Blood). I like this movie too. It definitely does not sugar coat medieval times. IIRC it was Paul Verhoven's first English Language movie. It stars Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Thanas wrote:
Compelling characters? WTF?

The 13th warrior was boring and an insult to the very idea of the vikings. You know, freaking neanderthals?

EDIT: Sorry for sounding like a raging madman. It is just that whenever I hear of that movie, I fly into some kind of blinding rage.
To each their own, of course. I also rather enjoy the Kingdom of Heaven mentioned earlier but...

However, it does highlight something, there isn't enough medieval films. About time Hollywood got off it's super hero kick.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Another Rutger Hauer "knightly" movie is Ladyhawke (1985). It's not the main focus of the film but it's there. The movie is more of a romantic tale with some action and magic involved than it is an action movie. At one time it was one of my favorite movies. Probably because I had a crush on Michelle Pfeiffer at the time. :-)

It also stars Mathew Broderick and Leo McKern. Actually, looking at IMDB, it appears that Broderick gets top billing in the movie. It does tend to focus on things as he sees and experiences them.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Braveheart's medieval...a little sparse on knights, and it shits historical accuracy, though.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Frank Hipper wrote:Braveheart's medieval...a little sparse on knights, and it shits historical accuracy, though.
Also extremely long. I was never able to make it through the full thing, definitely not one I'd recommend. :P
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Another Rutger Hauer "knightly" movie is Ladyhawke (1985). It's not the main focus of the film but it's there. The movie is more of a romantic tale with some action and magic involved than it is an action movie. At one time it was one of my favorite movies. Probably because I had a crush on Michelle Pfeiffer at the time
I already mentioned it on the first page. :)

The 'magic' is very low-key- just a curse where Michelle Pfeiffer is a hawk in the day and a woman at night, and Rutger Hauer is a man in the day and a wolf at night. Freaking awesome (and of course very sad) curse.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Tiriol
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tiriol »

Two Swedish movies, Arn - The Knight Templar and its sequel, Arn - The Kingdom at Road's End, come to my mind. The first one is less preachy and much more downplayed version of Ridley Scott's The Kingdom of Heaven with a major Swedish background (instead of French/generic European). It gives a much more nuanced view of Christian clergy than Ridley Scott's film did, as well. I haven't yet seen the second one, although I bought it from sales today.
Confiteor Deo omnipotenti; beatae Mariae semper Virgini; beato Michaeli Archangelo; sanctis Apostolis, omnibus sanctis... Tibit Pater, quia peccavi nimis, cogitatione, verbo et opere, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Kyrie Eleison!

The Imperial Senate (defunct) * Knights Astrum Clades * The Mess
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

Tsyroc wrote:Flesh and Blood (aka Flesh+Blood). I like this movie too. It definitely does not sugar coat medieval times. IIRC it was Paul Verhoven's first English Language movie. It stars Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh.
It's not really knightly or medieval, being set in the Renaissance period, and it's definitely not for the fainthearted; there was a rather graphic rape scene IIRC.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

The list of movies approved by the SCA:
LadyHawke
Excaliber
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Knight-riders
Highlander (there can be only one!)
Lion in Winter
Braveheart
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yes, I said if you can stomach it about Flesh+blood

Lion in Winter is also very, very good, and Robin and Marion is still a favorite of mine that I mentioned back on the first page.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

Haven't seen it mentioned yet so First Knight (1995) with Sean Connery and Richard Gere. I recall seeing this around when it first came out and that it was my first exposure to a "modern" medieval movie. The Knight battles and story were pretty good from what I can remember, but then again, I last saw it as a young teen and don't recall much of it now so I cant really say for sure whether it's a crappy movie or not untill I see it again.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Its probably classed as too early period wise, but there's also the rather mediocre (In my opinion) King Arthur. The best part of that film in my opinion was Hans Zimmers score.

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Jade Falcon wrote:Its probably classed as too early period wise, but there's also the rather mediocre (In my opinion) King Arthur. The best part of that film in my opinion was Hans Zimmers score.
Are you talking about the one that featured Maid Marian as some pagan warrior woman? Because that one was easily forgettable.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

General Zod wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:Its probably classed as too early period wise, but there's also the rather mediocre (In my opinion) King Arthur. The best part of that film in my opinion was Hans Zimmers score.
Are you talking about the one that featured Maid Marian as some pagan warrior woman? Because that one was easily forgettable.
Guinevere, you mean, and yes.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Rogue 9 wrote:
General Zod wrote:
Guinevere, you mean, and yes.
Marian Guinevere whichever. I can never keep their names straight. :P
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Thanas wrote:Compelling characters? WTF?

I'm confused: are you saying Vikings vs. Neanderthals is an insult to vikings, or did you completely misunderstand the movie?

Granted, The 13th Warrior has many, many other problems (you couldn't turn a longsword into a scimitar like that with a full forge, let alone by just filing it down; what exactly do the Grendel eat down in their caves all the time; etc.), but next you'll be telling us you don't like Ninja vs. Pirate or Zombie vs. Robot, and that's just madness. :P
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My point is that it isn't a medieval movie rather a fantasy movie that happens to call their heroes vikings instead of Rohan or whatever.
------------
------------
My LPs