My thoughts on SG:U (Spoilers)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: My thoughts on SG:U (Spoilers)

Post by Starglider »

Shrykull wrote:The destiny at least must be programmed to gather enough energy to make the next intergalactic jump, as there are no stars in between they can stop at to refuel.
Actually there are quite a lot of intergalactic stars, typically from small galaxies that were disrupted by larger ones. Stars can and do get ejected from galaxies the same way that asteroids can get ejected from a solar system by a close encounter with a large mass. Whether Destiny has the sensor capability to find and use such stars is unknown, but I suspect it does.
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Re: My thoughts on SG:U (Spoilers)

Post by Xon »

Shrykull wrote: I wonder how long the energy reserves would have lasted, if they didn't try to intentionally deplete them last time to try to dial back to Earth. The destiny at least must be programmed to gather enough energy to make the next intergalactic jump, as there are no stars in between they can stop at to refuel. But, I don't think that even an intergalactic jump is a big deal. Didn't it only take the Prometheus and the Daedalus a week or two to travel from Earth to the Pegasus Galaxy?
In-galaxy hyperspace travel is dramatically slower(and less energy efficient) than intergalactic hyperspace travel, it probably holds true for whatever FTL method the Destiny is using.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.