SGU FTL questions

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: SGU FTL questions

Post by NecronLord »

Solauren wrote:I wonder if the Destiny's FTL is used for a reason beyond 'it's cool'.

The only reason I can think of are;

#1 - This is the FTL they had BEFORE Hyperdrive, and the Destiny is simply that old. Could be this is the system that took them from the Ori Galaxy to the Milky Way, and Hyperdrive was developed some time after the Destiny was sent off.

#2 - It's hard to detect the Destiny in FTL, versus standard Stargate Hyperdrive. This could extend all the way to ascended beings not noticing it. AFter all, they probably didn't want the Ori going after it.
The Ori must have ascended after the Alterans, or they would surely have subjugated them. A single ascended being can annihilate an entire wraith fleet with a fleeting thought.
#3 - It could be this model of FTL is more energy friendly then Hyperdrive, and more durable. I mean, how old is this ship?

#4 - The FTL on the Destiny is NOT the original system. Maybe sometime in the past, it's Hyperdrive broke down, and some friendly aliens refitted it with their FTL technology, and sent it on it's way.
Interesting thought.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Re: SGU FTL questions

Post by Xon »

One thing to note; is the Destiny's shields are up in FTL compared to the use of Hyperdrives with shields.

One fo the reasons the current method of FTL is used because it permits the shields to stay on during the transition from FTL->sublight speeds.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.