I Fucking Hate the Sun!

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Heh, I like it here, it's cool now but the sun's out and it's pleasant, can see some clouds over near the sea approaching the mountains near the Lake District, but rain is to be expected.

And if you didn't have the sun you'd regret it just as much as having it. ;)
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:Heh, I like it here, it's cool now but the sun's out and it's pleasant, can see some clouds over near the sea approaching the mountains near the Lake District, but rain is to be expected.

Some of us literally almost never see the light of day, though... I'm so photosensitive that my eyes hurt to go outside sometimes, and I can't look at neon colors on light backgrounds.. sometimes I just *can't* look at neon or fluorescent colors.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

verilon wrote:
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Heh, I like it here, it's cool now but the sun's out and it's pleasant, can see some clouds over near the sea approaching the mountains near the Lake District, but rain is to be expected.

Some of us literally almost never see the light of day, though... I'm so photosensitive that my eyes hurt to go outside sometimes, and I can't look at neon colors on light backgrounds.. sometimes I just *can't* look at neon or fluorescent colors.
Still, sunlight is needed for the skin to produce Vitamin D which your body needs, though you can get it from fruit and veg as well.

I normally think I'm a real anti-outsider at times, when I'm on holiday with parents abroad like at Cyprus then I'll be outside but in the shade near the pool reading. Unlike my dad, I can't walk outside in 40 degrees with no wind and not burn to a crisp. My skin is like my mum's in that it's fair and easy to burn before it even starts to go brown.

My dad however walked to the Acropolis with my mum when he was having a break from the RAF and touring mainland Greece. Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. My dad was okay, but even he felt the heat, my mum got bad sunstroke and it was lucky some tour bus was going by at the time to give them a lift back to the hotel, no local is crazy enough to walk at that time of day.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
verilon wrote:

Still, sunlight is needed for the skin to produce Vitamin D which your body needs, though you can get it from fruit and veg as well.
Vitamin supplements rock. 8)
I normally think I'm a real anti-outsider at times, when I'm on holiday with parents abroad like at Cyprus then I'll be outside but in the shade near the pool reading. Unlike my dad, I can't walk outside in 40 degrees with no wind and not burn to a crisp. My skin is like my mum's in that it's fair and easy to burn before it even starts to go brown.
Well, I like the sun because it makes me go tan. That and every once in a while I *do* like the fresh air, But generally I get that under nighttime condistions...
My dad however walked to the Acropolis with my mum when he was having a break from the RAF and touring mainland Greece. Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun. My dad was okay, but even he felt the heat, my mum got bad sunstroke and it was lucky some tour bus was going by at the time to give them a lift back to the hotel, no local is crazy enough to walk at that time of day.
Your parents are NUTS.

Formerly verilon

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

I've got a cure for you! Psoriasis! Its genetic skin condition that I happen to have, which basically causes your skin to grow very fast and flake off, leaving nice red spots or scales on you. While it's now quite mild (its not too noticable), when I was a teenager it covered most of my body. While it didn't do anything to help my social life, I could get sun burn from hell and the next day it would be gone!
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

Einhander Sn0m4n wrote:It's not so much the Sun I hate, it's this absolutely MORONIC weather pattern we've been stuck with. 90F and 70% Humidity!? WHAT THE FUCK!!??

Holy shit, where do you live, Florida ? Cos i know its the humidity that jacks you in the heat. Florida is the only place ive ever been where its like 87F around 10am ... and rising...... god i love the hot weather :D
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

Aphexmonster - Einey lives down in good old New Orleans, I've been to Louisiana exactly once, went down to visit my wifes grandparents in Baton Rouge. The heat and humidity literaly drove me to my knees! It didn't help that we left Indiana on a cool 65 degree day, flew to Baton Rouge, and stepped off the plane into what my body must have thought was the E-ring of hell.

I refuse to go back.....fuck'em they can come visit us! :P
BotM
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Congratulations, your chances of skin cancer have increased! Have a nice day.

One of my friends got severely burnt last year (I mean SEVERELY burnt, his skin was peeling off in huge chunks... I think it might've been a second-degree burn, not sure) on the back of his neck, and you can STILL see the scarring there. It's gross.

Other people come into school so tanned that you KNOW by the time they're 25 they'll have that disgusting "old person" skin that you see on people that spend too much time in the sun with too little sunscreen.

Ick.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I don't tan. I can only burn.

In seventh grade I was at a school track meet (yeah, it really makes sense to have the entire class go and participate... :roll: ) and got burned so severely that I had first and second degree burns on my face and arms.

I missed like a week of school because of it, and it left some scaring that kind of changed the pattern of the skin on my arms.

The blister stage was no fun, let me tell you. Coin-sized blisters filled with water for days before shrinking back down.

And that's why the Sun is evil. :mrgreen:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Captain tycho
Has Elected to Receive

Post by Captain tycho »

*points and laughs at the sunburned masses*
Bless me and my tan, burn resistant skin. :P
Captain Tycho!
The worst fucker ever!
The Best reciever ever!
mantakai
Padawan Learner

Post by mantakai »

I can sympathise with you mate, due to the pommy blood given me by my dear mother :P I get burnt quite bad and quite often, very bad since i play soccer in the middle of the day. and because of this I have also developed a hatred of the beach as I always leave scorched quite badly. lol i look somethign like this :oops:
"normal is not something to apire to, its something to get away from"
GonK
Youngling

Post by GonK »

Scottish white skin + red hair + SUN = BURNING

I don't tan just turn a lovely shade of bright red though it's been a while since I last got sunburn mainly cos either I don't go out in the sun or I use SPF35+ suncream.
It dosen't help that I really hate hot weather. Seriously if it's above 27C then it's just too hot to do anything. Though living in Scotland that isn't a problem too often 8)
"That's the dumbest thing I've ever seen, including the topless blond out at the swimming pool this morning. But, like the topless blond, some stupid things are fun to stare at." Raoul Duke, Jr.
<---And if you EVER see that face wandering roung Edinburgh with a bottle of Jack Daniels then I advise you to run. Or you could come over and buy me more Jack Daniels.
haas mark

Post by haas mark »

<-- only burns on the nose/cheeks once a year and never burns again for the rest of the year anywhere. Thank god for being 1/4 American Indian..

[hides form the impending smashing of the white.. err.. transparent people]

Formerly verilon

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

GonK wrote:Scottish white skin + red hair + SUN = BURNING

This is my problem as well (Although I'm just Scot/Irish descent)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'm so glad that I don't have to put up with what my GF has to put up with in terms of the sun. I hadn't even known they made SPF 60 sunscreen...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Wicked Pilot, the best thing you can do is get some aloe vera stuff. The green Banana Boat aloe gel works wonders. It'll help stop the pain and it'll help you heal.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Arrow Mk84 wrote:I've got a cure for you! Psoriasis! Its genetic skin condition that I happen to have, which basically causes your skin to grow very fast and flake off, leaving nice red spots or scales on you. While it's now quite mild (its not too noticable), when I was a teenager it covered most of my body. While it didn't do anything to help my social life, I could get sun burn from hell and the next day it would be gone!
A'yup. I have the same condition. Hell, the dermatologist usually just puts you under a sunlamp. Why not get out and get some fresh air too.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

[quote=Kelly Antilles]A'yup. I have the same condition. Hell, the dermatologist usually just puts you under a sunlamp. Why not get out and get some fresh air too.[/quote]

My dermatologist wouldn't do that, he said my skin was too fair (as if you could had seen it then, anyway). He just gave me a cream that made feel like a walking grease ball. At least it's mostly gone now, so now I can get sun burned again.
aphexmonster
Jedi Council Member

Post by aphexmonster »

I just walked home in 85F weather, and 80% humidity, i :luv: warm weather. All the swimming, the lack of clothing everybody wears. Yaye for florida this summer.
-monster
my sig is totaly lonely now =(
Colonel Olrik
The Spaminator

Post by Colonel Olrik »

It never fails, every year Portugal is invaded by a hord of angelical white english and nordic tourists, who take absolutely no time once they arrive here to find themselves a spot on the beach and lie there roasting for ten hours.

The results are not a pretty sight. Lobsters have a lesser tone of red.

The best way no to get burned if you're very white is to get a really good sun lotion, not a supermarket one but one bought in a good pharmacy.

And avoid long exposures and always being undressed.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Arrow Mk84 wrote: My dermatologist wouldn't do that, he said my skin was too fair (as if you could had seen it then, anyway). He just gave me a cream that made feel like a walking grease ball. At least it's mostly gone now, so now I can get sun burned again.
I use neutrogena's bar soap and Aveno bath and shower gel. Stops the itch. I also use a bit of a tar based shampoo on occassion.
Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Yeah, I use the neutrogena shampoo and a moisturizing soap.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Sokar wrote:Aphexmonster - Einey lives down in good old New Orleans, I've been to Louisiana exactly once, went down to visit my wifes grandparents in Baton Rouge. The heat and humidity literaly drove me to my knees! It didn't help that we left Indiana on a cool 65 degree day, flew to Baton Rouge, and stepped off the plane into what my body must have thought was the E-ring of hell.

I refuse to go back.....fuck'em they can come visit us! :P
I went to Phoenix once, and I felt the same. The only difference is that I actaully liked the heat.

Anyway, what's the SPF 60-70 stuff like?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Yuri Prime
Padawan Learner

Re: I Fucking Hate the Sun!

Post by Yuri Prime »

Wicked Pilot wrote:I just got back from spending all day at the annual Barksdale air show, and I am fucking burnt. Goddamnit, does sunscreen actually work? I put buckets full of SPF-30 on myself and I still look like a damn crawfish. I was covered in more grease than Richard Simmons and while my arms came out OK, my face and parts of my legs look like the Canadian flag. (speaking of Canadians, the Snow Birds were there. While I found their planes to be unimpressive, their flight precision was awesome.) Anyway, does anyone have any methods to cure and/or relieve sunburns?
Same think happened to me at the Tucson airshow. I got scorched. The next day my face looked pretty much the same as the guys who tried to fix the reactor on K-19. It healed pretty quickly with the help of lots of aloe vera.
I don't go to mythical places with strange men.
-Douglas Adams

Evil Liberal Conspiracy. Taking away your guns since 1987.