What is your Favorite Fanfic?

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: What is your Favorite Fanfic?

Post by phongn »

EmperorSolo51 wrote:Favorite Star wars Fanfic? (A Change of Events by, although the author botched the ending)
I haven't read a good pure-SW fanfic in quite awhile.
Anime: (Joseph Palmer's Ranma 1/2 Fanfic Red)
Secrets, by Ken Wolfe.
Favorite crossover: (Chuch Sonneburg's Unity Saga)
Ugh...this is hard. For SWvST, Chuck's is definately the best, but for general crossovers? I'm not so sure.

Chris Davies's stuff is good, but I'm not too partial to the screenplay format or his ego. Biles/Hosmer make good stuff too, but most of their crossovers are fairly old.
Favorite Babylon 5 fanfic?
A Dark, Distorted Mirror.
Favorite MSTING? (Ukyo Gets What She Deserves by RVincent@aol.com, MSTied by Megane 6.7)
Bah, too many to name.
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Re: What is your Favorite Fanfic?

Post by Singular Quartet »

EmperorSolo51 wrote:Favorite Star wars Fanfic? Test Pilot, as it's the only pure SW fic I've read.
Star Trek?
I'd like to say mine, since it's the only pure Trek one I've ever read. That, and I'm shamless when I plug my own material.
Anime:
Uh... hmm... to many to deciede upon.
Favorite crossover:
While there are some good ones here, I'm gonna have to go with Arisugawa's Locket by Shanejayell.
Favorite Babylon 5 fanfic?
Haven't read any.
Favorite other scifi Fanfic?
Haven't read any.
Favorite MSTING?
Rio-Sensei's MSTing of "Achange of Serenity" by NeoPrincessUsagi
Granted, it isn't quite the standard MSTing, but it's still pretty good.
Original fic:
Hmm... won't list mine, and instead say Prophecy Child by Strife_Aileron
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

<-- is slowly working on a sci-fi fic...

~ver
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Lex
Rabid Monkey

Post by Lex »

best crossover=Starcrossed by Strave, no doubt
As long there is gravity, ride on...
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

verilon wrote:<-- is slowly working on a sci-fi fic...

~ver
Well so am I, your point? I'm sure yours is better though, so I suppose I shouldn't annoy you about your random plug.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

SW vs ST? Probably Sonnenburg's whole Unity saga.

Pure SW? haven't really bothered.

Anime? Good god, too many awesome choices, half of which also qualify as crossovers. First awesome one I ever found was The More Things Change/The Pursuit of Happiness by RpM(Ranma fic with cameos). I could fill a few pages with a list of awesome fanfics, though I would probably get lazy and just start posting author names after a while.

Pure ST? tricky... Haven't actually read many

Original fic? Haven't really read any either

B5? The only one I really remember reading is an Evangelion crossover that was okay, but the name escapes me.

Crossover? Either 'Insertion' by Carrotglace, or 'The Ballad of the Physic's Police' by Bobcat.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:Anime? Good god, too many awesome choices, half of which also qualify as crossovers. First awesome one I ever found was The More Things Change/The Pursuit of Happiness by RpM(Ranma fic with cameos). I could fill a few pages with a list of awesome fanfics, though I would probably get lazy and just start posting author names after a while.
Read Children of an Elder Age?
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

'Children of an Elder God' I thought, and yes, though I have paused momentarily, as they did a bit too good of a job imitating Lovecraft, and combining it with some of the essential hopelessness of Evangelion, and these days I am more in need of light-hearted stuff.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:'Children of an Elder God' I thought, and yes, though I have paused momentarily, as they did a bit too good of a job imitating Lovecraft, and combining it with some of the essential hopelessness of Evangelion, and these days I am more in need of light-hearted stuff.
I found Biles's semi-secret hideout and read some parts of the next chapter, and it remains dark.

I usually prefer darker stuff - I like light, mind you - as they seem to delve into the depths of characters more.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

I have no problem with dark, but I think I may have read the first twenty chapters a little too quickly, and overdosed.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:I have no problem with dark, but I think I may have read the first twenty chapters a little too quickly, and overdosed.
That might do it. Could be worse - I read one of Tim Nolan's fanfics in one sitting where he more or less tortured poor Ami Mizuno's life...

Some fanfiction authors noted that she tends to be a target because it's just so damned easy...
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Well, lets see:

Ill met by Starlight, very well-written, pretty dark.

Dies Irae was short, but dark.

Eidolons wasn't a shining beacon of happiness, neither were the Shadow Chronicles.

Infinities Shore had a really unhappy ending, which was a heavy letdown after building up a fair amount of hope.

Hell, Shampoo 1/2 was pretty freaking gritty, for all of the humor that was put in it.

Metroanime somehow manages a happy ending for just about everyone but his main protagonist, who is almost always shat upon.

Vengeance 1/2 is still developing(glacially), but was heavily dark from the start.

Relentless took a serious turn for the dark in the last couple of chapters.

That's right, I'm a Ranma fanfic freak. call me the Knight of 'Ranma's Choice of Fiancee'
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:Vengeance 1/2 is still developing(glacially), but was heavily dark from the start.
VAAH? Gah, that fanfic is dark. At this rate all the Good Guys are going to kill themselves off and let evil win (though that would introduce an interesting temporal paradox).
That's right, I'm a Ranma fanfic freak. call me the Knight of 'Ranma's Choice of Fiancee'
I'm more of an SM guy myself, though I've been a fan of Ranma fanfics for awhile. Ranma Goes to War and Chasing the Wind were especially good
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

What I know of SM, I mainly got from reading Ranma fanfic. Ranma goes to War, and CtW were very good, but I have become much less of a fan of Ranma/Akane matchups in my old age. This won't prevent me from enjoying a well-written fic, but it has become increasingly difficult to see how anyone would want to marry Canon Akane.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:What I know of SM, I mainly got from reading Ranma fanfic.
Hrm, well, VAAH might not be the greatest introduction :p Children of Fire is a good fusion of the two series, though.
Ranma goes to War, and CtW were very good, but I have become much less of a fan of Ranma/Akane matchups in my old age. This won't prevent me from enjoying a well-written fic, but it has become increasingly difficult to see how anyone would want to marry Canon Akane.
I can't blame you for seeing things like that, though they were clearly intended to be for each other.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Yeah, well, Rumiko Takahashi is a little too fond of having heinous psycho-bitches as her female leads.

Its not just VAAH, I've also read Destiny's Child, All the Small Things, Truth/Love, Child of Love children of Hate, all of Gabriel Blessing and Jonathon Ford's work, along with a bunch of others that I can't as easily recall, so I have a fairly extensive, if eclectic and self-contradicting body of SM knowledge.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

HappyTarget's Alternate History series is my favorite.

Speaking of which, where is he?
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
HappyTarget
Padawan Learner

Post by HappyTarget »

HappyTarget's Alternate History series is my favorite.

Speaking of which, where is he?
I'm still around. :) Glad you are enjoying my work! :D Real life has been encroaching on my writing time of late, as I'm getting things in order so that I can move back to the US. Getting pasports and such updated is a pain. Another chapter of TE will be up whenever I finish it.

SW vs ST? - Never really bothered. Anything using accepted numbers is hiddeously onesided, so such stories usually don't hold my interest long.

Pure SW? - Haven't had the time of late.

Anime? - Anime isn't my thing.

Pure ST? - The Athena series by crobato is the best I've read.

Original fic? - CaptainChewbacca's original-uni story is not only the best I've read, it's also pretty much the only one.

B5? - No time unfortunately.

Crossover? - Again, no time...
Cult of Weber Missionary
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

consequences wrote:Its not just VAAH, I've also read Destiny's Child, All the Small Things, Truth/Love, Child of Love children of Hate, all of Gabriel Blessing and Jonathon Ford's work, along with a bunch of others that I can't as easily recall, so I have a fairly extensive, if eclectic and self-contradicting body of SM knowledge.
:wtf:

Yes, that's a bit self-contradicting :twisted: