Drakafic:The Caribbean Beat

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Also, remember that the institutional culture of the modern USN that lets ships go around with half their ammo or less as no big deal is that of a navy which has been the most powerful in the world for sixty years. Similiar things happened in the Royal Navy of the 1870s/1880s, but wouldn't happen in the USN of the 1930s--the situation is to uncertain, the margins to thin.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So-rrry! I'm only writing what I know, and I know the life of the modern Navy.

(although some phrases and such are eternal, I think)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Lonestar wrote:So-rrry! I'm only writing what I know, and I know the life of the modern Navy.

(although some phrases and such are eternal, I think)
It's not a problem. Technical nitpicking is just that, has nothing to do with our enjoyment of the story.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

just don't give us launch key's and SPY-8 just yet....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Part Three:
Clubbin'

[United States Naval Ordnance Depot, Guantamano Bay, Cuba June 30th]

USNOD, Guanamano, sprawled out for several miles both inland and along the coast. During the lean years of the early-mid thirties the expansion of the base had been one of the few major construction projects the USN had going. The channel had been dredged, an airfield had been added, and most importantly, 4 piers for deep draft vessels had been added. These improvements had allowed Guantamano become the premier ordnance depot for the East Coast (though by no means the only one.) Still, until relatively recently the activity at the base had been slow. It had taken the Draka invasion of Russia to have USNODGB explode into use.

Pier 6 was particularly crowded, with the Pensacola, Mexico City, Indiana, and US West Indies moored there. The two cruisiers looked like baby brothers to the massive battleships. Every ship on the pier was a hive of activity. Cranes lifted 8" and 16" shells onto the ships. Working parties hefted small arms and anti-aircraft ammo up the brow. Deck sailors were busy halystonin' the wooden main decks, in a neverending battle to keep gunk off them.

It was enough to give even Captain Bryant Fox, USNR (as he always thought of himself) a headache.

Fox looked around the wardroom. The CDO, a Lt. Cmdr. named Queeg was off in the corner, going over the water and fuel reports. He was charecteristicly muttering to himself and rolling two metal "stress balls" in his left hand. Queeg was a few sandwiches short of a picnic basket, as the saying went.

"Queeg!"

Fox got a bit of morbid pleasure watching Queeg jump. He certainly looked like a "Queeg".

"Yes Sir?"

"I'm going to the O Club. Can I trust you not to have my ship sink pierside while I'm there?"

The color seemed to drain from Queeg's face, and he gave a sickly smile. " Sir? The...yes Sir, everything's fine. There won't be any problems."

Fox looked at him googly-eyed. I can't believe this man is in charge of my engines. Might have to change that before long. With a curt nod he got up and left the wardroom, muttering to a mess steward he was departing the ship. Within seconds the OOD had been informed and the 1MC was blaring "Ding-ding, ding-ding, Pensacola, departing." He stopped when he reached the quarterdeck, got permission to go ashore, and crossed the brow. "DING!".

Cuba in June was, to no one's surprise, hot and sticky. It made him appreciate the genius who'd had air conditioning installed on the P-cola during her last refit. He'd been on non-airconditioned ships in the Caribbean Flotilla before, it wasn't fun.

Fox sighed, absentmindly saluting whoever saluted him. He was a widower, his girls and only son staying with his sister-in-law in Ft. Worth. Jesus he missed them. Alexandra's (called Alex by everyone but her father) would be 16 next week. Damn. He opened the door to the O Club, when he suddenly felt two massive hands slam down on his shoulders, and a loud voice boomed "boo!"

"Christ!"

Fox turned around. Standing before him was his old buddy from his Sonora days, Captain William "Bull" Durham. Bull grinned.

"You Fox? A CO? I thought you'd left to become a shipyard manager. The Navy must be in more dire straights than I thought. 'Pensacola, departing' indeed!"

"The Navy must be in incredibly dire straights Bull, I notice they made you in charge of something. Harbor Tug?"

Bull just grinned. " You ever been here before? The Commodore of the base gives free copies of Naval Institute Proceedings to every officer. You know they've gone bi-weekly." Bull started to guide Fox over to the bar. "Barkeep! dos cervacas, por favor." Fox thought he'd mangled the Spanish, but he wasn't sure. In any event, two Negra Modelo's appeared.

"Bull, good to see you. You going to tell me what you got? I know you aren't on pier 6..."

Bull grinned. "USS Constellation, CC-2. Bigger, better, and faster than that tinclad you got. I guess they needed to put you on some training wheels first." Bull's face softened. "I heard about Maria Bryant, I'm sorry I wasn't there. Damn, she and Rebecca were good friends back in our Corpus Christi days."

Fox took a swig of his beer. He looked down at the Two Proceedings that were now on the bar next to them. The cover had a picture of King, Leahy, and Spruance standing around two large models of the new Carrier and Battleship classes. "The New Navy" the cover proudly announced. Fox sighed.

"Don't worry about it. The kids are with Monica in Ft. Worth. Besides, I have lots of other stuff on my mind at the moment. And so should you."

Fox glanced around the O Club for the first real time. It was definately designed with a Cuban atmosphere in mind. It was half full of Officers, most of them COs it looked like. Who else would be in here at 1300 in the afternoon? There was even a Caribbean Beat playing on the radio. He could get to enjoy this, if the music didn't remind him of his wife.

" Is it true about the those Rebels in Costa Rica? We found evidence that directly linked the Snakes to backing them?" Bull looked like he was praying for an affirmative. Like most servicemen, he was eager to teach the Draka a lesson in humility.

"I spoke to the Spotter after the debrief. He said he could have touched what were clearly Draka made morters, and rather banged up Russian and Ottoman rifles. Yeah, we did. Unfortunately, when we destroyed the rebel camp we destroyed the evidence. What are you doing here in Guantanamo?"

"We're taking on ordnance and stores before we go out for a fleet exercise of Norfolk. The exercise is tracking a surface commerce raider. I'm OPFOR." Bull grinned. "I'm thinking of raising the Jolly Rodger. Gotta practice againest those Snakes oyu know."

"the Snakes." Fox snorted. He waved at the Proceedings. "I hope the Joint Chiefs see farther out. Maybe it's just East Coast sailors that think this way. But I'm more worried about the Jappos."

"The Nips? Those slant-eyed fucks?" Bull said that a bit loud, and he noticed one or two Filipino officers glaring at him. "Sorry..." he murmered.

"Sure. Think about it. You're the Prime Minister of Japan. Your Navy is approximately 70% the strength of the Americans. With the passage of this bill, it's going to be 60% in 6 months, down to 40% this time next year. Militarily speaking, the Japanese will never be this close to us in force levels again. If they feel a need to go to war, now would be the time to strike. I..."

The doors to the O Club burst open, and a youngish Lt.(j.g.) came running in. He made a beeline for one of the other COs.

"I wonder what that's about?"

Three more j.o.'s came running in, one of them, Ensign Keith, was Fox's Radio Boss.

"Willie...."

Keith came running up, panting.

"Sirs...we just recieved an All Ships message, the Honolulu was just torpedoed by an unknown sub while invgestigating reports of a tanker under attack off Cape Hatteras. The Tanker isn't there...just an oil slick. "
Last edited by Lonestar on 2004-07-29 08:46pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Not my best, I'll tighten it up later.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:Not my best, I'll tighten it up later.
Hmm. I really should have posted it earlier, but all of the 14" gunned
BBs have been retired or regunned to 16". This is a TL where the
Washington treaty and London treaty never took effect, so the
battlelines are much more modern than in our TL, and we have
12,000 ton to 15,000 ton heavy cruisers as common place.

It's not your fault, Lonestar, it's entirely my fault; sorry about not
keeping you informed on the DrakaFic universe :oops:

SPECIAL TO CARIBBEAN BEAT: USN Battleline OOB circa 1940

Pennsylvania Class (31,400, 12 x 14", 21 kts)
BB-38 Pennsylvania (Reserve Fleet)
BB-39 Arizona (Reserve Fleet)

New Mexico Class (32,000, 8 x 16", 21 kts)
BB-40 New Mexico (Reserve Fleet - NOTE: has 12 x 14" Guns)
BB-41 Mississippi
BB-42 Idaho

Tennesee Class (32,300 tons, 8 x 16", 21 kts)
BB-43 Tennessee
BB-44 California

(New Mexico and Tennesee classes refitted to carry 16"
guns bringing them up to virtual Colorado-standard during
the late 1920s)

Colorado class battleships (32,600 tons, 8 x 16", 21 kts)
BB-45 Colorado
BB-46 Maryland
BB-47 Washington
BB-48 West Virginia

South Dakota class (43,200 tons, 12 x 16", 23 kts)
BB-49 South Dakota
BB-50 Indiana
BB-51 Montana
BB-52 North Carolina
BB-53 Iowa
BB-54 West Indies

Lexington Class BCs (44,638 tons, 8 x 16", 33 kts)
CC-1 Lexington
CC-2 Constellation
CC-3 Saratoga
CC-4 Ranger
CC-5 Constitution

Arkansas-class BBs 12 x 16" (1925 Order)

BB-55 Arkansas
BB-56 New Jersey
BB-57 Missouri
BB-58 Cuba
BB-59 Illinois
BB-60 Kentucky

Chesapeake Class BCs (48,638 tons, 8 x 16", 33 kts)
CC-7 Chesapeake
CC-8 President
CC-9 Constitution
CC-10 Wasp

Florida Class BBs (9 x 18", 26 kts)

(1928 Order, came just before the Depression, so weren't
cancelled, due to them providing jobs in politically important
states. When completed, these allowed the retirement of the
older Standards.)

BB-61 Florida
BB-62 Maine
BB-63 Sonora
BB-64 Oregon
BB-65 Puerto Rico
BB-66 Alaska

Ships to be built under the Two Ocean Navy Bill:

Virginia Class BBs (9 x 18", 26 kts)

BB-67 Virginia (building)
BB-68 Alabama (building)
BB-69 Ohio (building)
BB-70 South Carolina (Building)
BB-71 North Dakota (Building)
BB-72 Vermont (Building)
BB-73 Texas (Building, Originally named Rhode Island, renamed due to immense pressure from Texan congressional delegation, despite the fact that BB-35 was at the Naval Reserve Fleet at Galveston, TX at the time of naming, has been moved to the Texas State Milita since then, allowing the renaming, USN not very happy about this)
BB-74 Nebraska (Building)
BB-75 Georgia (Planned)
BB-76 Phillipines (Planned)
BB-77 Delaware (Planned)

26 Battleships, 9 Battlecruisers , 35 capital ships total currently in fleet,
3 Old 14" BBs in reserve.

When Two Ocean Navy Bill is completed, USN will have 36 BBs, and 9 BCs
for a total of 45 Capital Ships.
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2004-08-01 08:53pm, edited 5 times in total.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Hmm. I really should have posted it earlier, but all of the 14" gunned
BBs have been retired or regunned to 16". This is a TL where the
Washington treaty and London treaty never took effect, so the
battlelines are much more modern than in our TL, and we have
12,000 ton to 15,000 ton heavy cruisers as common place.
Well that at least doesn't mean he can't have a cruiser named Pensacola, and with 10 8-inch guns and 8 5-inch guns, though she'd have a fatter hull for more armor and thus wouldn't need to have the twins ahead of the triples. The real deficit in historic heavy cruisers was generally protection after all, and that'd be the main thing you'd see improved in world cruiser designs.

Now for the main issue, Looking at the whole picture the US Navy is more then a bit lean, our historical requirement was for 49 battleships and battlecruisers to face both Japan and Britain. Even if Japan stopped its construction with the Kaga and Amagi classes they'd have 8 16 inch gunned dreadnoughts and battlecruisers along with 8 more armed with 14 inch guns. However while they couldn't afford to sustain the 8-8-8 program for long, they could have gotten at least the Kii class battleships into the water, that's four more 16 inch gunned ships and very likely the No 13 class as well. Japanese might have afforded even more beyond even the No. 13, but to ensure they don't have an economic collapse I'd say sanity strikes and they delay further capital ship production until the mid 30's, perhaps with a class of big but far cheaper cruisers around 15-20,000 tons filling the gap, perhaps along with some small carriers, all keeping the navy happy.

That's 20-24 major capital ships to face in the Pacific, all completed by 1927, and they'll all likely last at least through 1940 (though the 14 inch gunned ships might be in lesser roles). In addition, Japan would probably be laying down more ships by the mid 30's; I'd envision early Yamatos plus the historic Soryu, Hiryu, and Shokaku class carriers. If the No.13 class doesn't make it as gunships, or only one or two get built then I'd push for one or more becoming an uber carrier conversion. Perhaps matching a US conversion of CC-6 United States. She's missing from your order of battle and I'd assume that's either an oversight or she is to be a big deck carrier conversion. That'd be a useful thing, given that your timeline calls for the US fielding a big carrier fleet. And we'd thus need a big deck to experiment with.

Anyway, I can see the US not building 49 capital ships to face both Japan and the British at once, espically since its a bit important to the plot, and its quite possibul, espically treaty between those two nations was voided in some official manner. But they still need more then just 25 modern capital warships to face the Japanese. That number would be fairly sufficient for combating the British, who wouldn't be building past the G3 class until the late 20's. But the Japanses, while they can likely be held off by retaining older dreadnoughs until the 1929 ships are completed, will be in a very powerful position after that. They'd have a battleline with high speed and high gunpower, though weak on the armor side. I suggest you add another class of US battlecruisers to provide a margin of strength over the Japanese.

Otherwise not only is the US navy barely numerically superior over its main enemy, it also won't have ordered a new capital ship between 1916 and 1929, which would not have good effects on the armor and heavy gun industries, or the ship yards. And all of those need to be well versed in rapid battleship construction. The US really ought to be building some battleships, in the late 30's as well. Those old standards and the 1916 South Dakotas are all very vulnerable to Japanses 16-inch gunfire, they may not have immunity zones at all. That mean they need replacement.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Well that at least doesn't mean he can't have a cruiser named Pensacola, and with
10 8-inch guns and 8 5-inch guns, though she'd have a fatter hull for more armor and
thus would n't need to have the twins ahead of the triples. The real deficit in historic
heavy cruisers was generally protection after all, and that'd be the main thing you'd
see improved in world cruiser designs.
Not arguing this.
Now for the main issue, Looking at the whole picture the US Navy is more then a bit lean, our
historical requirement was for 49 battleships and battlecruisers to face both Japan and Britain.
In this TL, the requirement is to oppose Japan and the Domination of Draka. The Draka have a
very small navy according to SM Stirling's books. Also, the Draka have been constantly fucking
in South America for quite a while, unlike the British, who are more than content to leave us alone,
except for arguing for us to grant independence to Canada every once in a while.
Perhaps matching a US conversion of CC-6 United States. She's missing from your order of battle and I'd
assume that's either an oversight or she is to be a big deck carrier conversion. That'd be a useful thing, given
that your timeline calls for the US fielding a big carrier fleet. And we'd thus need a big deck to experiment with.
Erm, didn't you notice THIS

CV-3 United States is in my Carrier OOB.
I suggest you add another class of US battlecruisers to provide a
margin of strength over the Japanese.
I'll throw another BC class in for ya :-D
Otherwise not only is the US navy barely numerically superior over its main enemy, it also won't have ordered a new capital ship
between 1916 and 1929 which would not have good effects on the armor and heavy gun industries, or the ship yards.
Uhm...........the USN ordered and built ALL of the South Dakota BBs and Lexington CCs (minus one conversion to CV), which
probably took until the mid 1920s to finish. I rejiggered the Arkansas-class from being ordered in 1929 to 1927 just now to
keep those gun yards etc in service a bit longer for ya.
The US really ought to be building some battleships, in the late 30's as well. Those old standards and the 1916 South Dakotas
are all very vulnerable to Japanses 16-inch gunfire, they may not have immunity zones at all. That mean they need replacement.
Erm, in my OOB, about the Arkansas class, I said:

"When completed, these allowed the retirement of the older Standards".

I do assume that the older ships have been modernized, mostly during the 1930s, when modernization was an easy sell to Congress
instead of building new battleships, and all that new armor needed to add on probably kept the armour makers in business, as well as
the regunning of the New Mexico and Tennesee classes from 14" to 16" gave the gun makers some business as well.

I'm trying to avoid the trap of cackling insanely as I give virtually everyone a near unlimited battleline, which is the sort of
thing that STEVE STIRLING would do. The Washington/London treaty never even came near passing in this TL; so you're
seeing battle lines about 10-15 years more modern than in OTL, as you can build new ships to replace old ones, which only
Britain could do OTL under the Treaties. However, no washington treaty isn't an excuse for the navies of the world to cackle
insanely and go on huuuuuge building sprees as they still have to answer to Congress/Parliament/Reichstag/etc over the budget.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

edited in a revised battleline to skimmer's suggestions

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Roger that. I'm glad you weren't too offended when I named one battleship West Indies.

I'll be editing the rest per your suggestions.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:Roger that. I'm glad you weren't too offended when I named one battleship West Indies.
No actually, it made sense, I edited my list to include such states
as "USS West Indies", USS Cuba, USS Phillipines, USS Puerto Rico, etc
since BBs are named after states; you made a damned good catch
there, I kept thinking of BB names after CONUS states, not the states
that were created in the Drakaverse. :D

Really, the only change you need to do is change 14" to 16", and
Texas to something else, as she's long since been retired

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I was banging my head on the wall trying to figure out what the name of the American state(s) of the Caribbean for all those little islands would be. Finally..."What would we call them?" *glances at Map, sees "US Virgin Islands."*. Duh! just plain West Indies.

It would have been silly to make each and every Island a state, after all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

MKSheppard wrote:
Erm, didn't you notice THIS

CV-3 United States is in my Carrier OOB.
Well, now I remember that.
I'll throw another BC class in for ya :-D
Horray, I suggest somthing like an Iowa in terms of main armament and belt protection, but with less speed, more like 30 knots. That would place them nicely inbetween a South Dakota and a Lexington as a mereging of the types into a fast battleship. However you choice of 33 knotters with tincladding is proubabbly more hisotrically accurate then the US switching to some midway option.

The US should of course keep bulding slower battleships as you have them doing. As it was even in our historic timeline many in the USN only wanted the first couple treaty battleships to be "fast" at 28 knots, and they would have all been 23-25 knotters if we hadn't learned that Nagato could do 26 knots.

Uhm...........the USN ordered and built ALL of the South Dakota BBs and Lexington CCs (minus one conversion to CV), which
probably took until the mid 1920s to finish. I rejiggered the Arkansas-class from being ordered in 1929 to 1927 just now to
keep those gun yards etc in service a bit longer for ya.
Those ships though where basically obsolete by the time they'd reach the water. Powerful, but outdated. Japan's new fast battleline is under armored. but that plays with there planning to only commit thoseb attleships once the US's slow battleline was worn down by torpedo attacks. For that job superior speed and high gunpower for long range shooting was logical.
Erm, in my OOB, about the Arkansas class, I said:

"When completed, these allowed the retirement of the older Standards".
Well only five more standards exist to be retired, and all of them are looking very dated by the early 1920's despite there relatively advanced designs.

I do assume that the older ships have been modernized, mostly during the 1930s, when modernization was an easy sell to Congress
instead of building new battleships, and all that new armor needed to add on probably kept the armour makers in business, as well as
the regunning of the New Mexico and Tennesee classes from 14" to 16" gave the gun makers some business as well.
You really can't add that much armor to the Standards, you can thicken up the decks around the magazines as was done historically. But that involves piling on many layers of thin homogenous and STS plating, not making huge face-hardened armor plates. Adding that armor however will overload every ship of the type, so make sure they also get bulges, otherwise armored freeboard will become a myth and torpedoes will be striking on or above the belt armor. That tends to be really bad as West Virginia demonstrated as Pearl Harbor.

I'm trying to avoid the trap of cackling insanely as I give virtually everyone a near unlimited battleline, which is the sort of
thing that STEVE STIRLING would do. The Washington/London treaty never even came near passing in this TL; so you're
seeing battle lines about 10-15 years more modern than in OTL, as you can build new ships to replace old ones, which only
Britain could do OTL under the Treaties. However, no washington treaty isn't an excuse for the navies of the world to cackle
insanely and go on huuuuuge building sprees as they still have to answer to Congress/Parliament/Reichstag/etc over the budget.
Well at least in the case of Japan, most of the new battleships and battlecruisers I've spoke of where already ordered and paid for, Tosa had already been launched by the time of the Washington naval treaty. Only the No.13 class wasn't at least at the ordering stage. So it's going to be construction beyond those ships that causes bankruptcy problems. Which is why (and also to keep battleline sizes down) I suggested having them have a building pause. However I have been informed more then once that Japan might have maintained the 8-8-8 program, laying down one new battlecruiser and one new battleship every year, until about 1930. By then they'd have had something like 30 dreadnoughts built or building. But you can just say those resources where spent on lighter vessels and economic devolopment.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Incicently, I'm rather disappointed none of you Monkeys caught my references to the greatest contribution to naval fiction ever.

:P

Part Four will be up either tonight or tomorrow.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote: Part Four will be up either tonight or tomorrow.
WE DEMAND IT NOW!

maybe if they get focussed on Caribbean Beat, they'll stop asking for my next story

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lonestar wrote:Incicently, I'm rather disappointed none of you Monkeys caught my references to the greatest contribution to naval fiction ever.
The Naval Institute Proceedings? Oh, wait, you said fiction... Hmm...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:
maybe if they get focussed on Caribbean Beat, they'll stop asking for my next story
Unlikely, yours is of slightly higher quality (re: I'm too lazy to do extensive research for mine)

And one of you guys go Google "Queeg" or "Ensign Willie Keith". :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Part Four: Fun in the Sun

[Chirripio River, Costa Rica, 1725 hrs August 2 1940]

"Shit! Get down!" The sound of the Rebel 30mm infantry gun was increasingly common. To think it had been only a little over a month ago when Martinka had first seen action. Since then, the Army and Marines had started to squeeze the Rebels who were hiding in the jungle. They were better armed then intially thought, leading the General of US Southern Command to conclude the rebels had been hoarding their heavier equipment for something. The tree Martinka had been hiding behind started to shatter and splinter, the fucks knew where he was.

Martinka rolled over behind a downed log. He looked over to see Sargeant Quinano yelling into the company's radio. He glanced up at Martinka.

"Sir, Crissy Field says some WildCats are heading this way. Ever seen a CAS mission?"

"No."

"Then you're in for a treat, Sir. They know we're on the South Bank..." A bullet struck Quinano in the head, making a sound that sounded to Martinka like a eggshell shattering. Gunny Tuascon crawled up and divested Quinano of his field radio.

The hum of Wildcats came over the horizion the hills to the south. A pair of them, painted in USMC Olive Green came down, dropping their bombload on the infantry gun and the crew served machine guns. The river was barely 50 yds wide, he could feel the heat from where he lay. Pulling up, they circled around, until some idiot started to shoot at them.
The Two came in low again, their machine guns pouring into the Jungle. There came screams, and the 'Cats circled around yet again, strafing the north bank again. The pair did this three more times, Martinka couldn't imagine who could survive after the runs. The attacked hadn't been as devestating as the P-Cola's guns, to be sure, but it somehow felt more personal to see the jungle chewed up by what amounted to be heavy machine gun fire. Tuascon put down the radio.

"Chrissy Field says they'll have another pair loitering nearby if we need them. The pilots say they can't see any other heavy infantry weapons..."

"How could they, in this shit?" Martinka indicated the foliage. Tuascon shrugged.

"I think they were aiming for the gunfire sir... orders?"

Martinka watched as the Cats finished a final strafe and started to head south. For a good minute there was silence. Then more silence. Martinka sighed.

"Our standing orders are to aquire evidence of Snake tomfoolery. Have someone...someone watch Quinano. "

Tuascon nodded, and gestured to a young corporal named Hastings. "Stay here and make sure no critters eat him...we'll be back in a little bit." Hastings nodded, looking somewhat sickened. Tuascon turned to the rest of the company.

"Alright monkeys, you know the drill. There's a nice warm ford down there. Let's go, and be quiet about it!"

Martinka waded over with the First patoon, Lt. Sanders and Gunny Tuascon waded over with the second. They hadn't stepped 20 yds into the foliage when a burst of fire came from behind a Banana Tree. That has to be the funniest place to die. Martinka thought. There was two cracks of an M1, and a scream. Martinka rushed over, to see Corporal Hudgins Standing over a rebel, who was gasping for breath. The Corpsman, Petty Officer Berry just shook his head when Martinka glanced at him.

"Hey Paco, I don't suppose you know any Snakes, do you?"

The man gasped, and his face contorted. "Fu...fuck you, Yanqui Baquiano. Martinka raised an eyebrow. The Marine Spotters were starting to be known as Baquianos in town, an old Spanish word for Indian-fighters from the colonial period. The man had probably been there recently.

The man groaned, coughed up some blood, and the light went out of his eyes.

I hope the Squids are hacing better luck than we are.

------------------

[ Central Caribbean, USS Pensacola. 2330 August 2]

Fox gave an inward groan as there was a knock on his stateroom's door. Probably Queeg bitching about a 2% increase in water use by the crew again. The door opened, and a sliver of light flashed onto his eyes.

"Sir?" It was Lt. Mahon. "Surface search reports a Fishing vessel sitting just outside the 200 nm exclusion zone. Just outside both our and Columbian Waters."

"Lt., in case you haven't noticed, the Caribbean is crawling with fishing vessels. What's the problem?"

"Yes Sir, One, it's running lights are off according to LoneWolf-1, and two, Surface search reported that, briefly, it looked as if there was a surfaced sub next to it. Gone now."

Fox sat up.

"Slow to five knots and move to intercept. Tell the Moulton to circle around the trawler and start pinging for a sub. It still overcast out?"

"Yes Sir."

"Good, let's see how close we can get without being noticed. Tell the OOD I'll be up there shortly. And get a Boarding party ready."

[2351]

Fox strode onto the bridge. He turned to the OOD, who happened to be GUNS.

"Well?"

"Boarding party is standing by on the starboard boat deck. The Trawler has started to move on westward course that would take it to the Panamanian/Costa Rican border. It doesn't appear to have noticed us. Moulton thinks they found the sub, but then they lost it...Trawler is less than 200 yards out. Amazing."

The Bridge door opened, and the XO, Cmdr. Peuterschmit came in.

"What's up, Chuck?"

Fox sighed, and turned to QM2 Lowe.

"QM2, Signal the Trawler to stand by for boarding and inspection. XO, send the boarding party out."

"Sir? What if they ask what our authority is?"

Fox scratched his chin. "The Antiquities Act, I think. What with all the illegal smuggling of Moche artifacts coming out of Columbia. With the Two Ocean Navy act passed, we've subsumed the Coast Guard and her duties."

Judgeing from the Bridge crew's blank looks, Fox supposed none of them had ever heard of the Antiquities Act. Phillistines His Professor at Baylor, Dr. Jones had really hammered on that when he was there as a grad student.

"Just do it."
[0004]

The Boarding party craft puttered across towards the trawler. The OIC, Ensign Michael "If-you-call-me-Mikey-I-will-fucking-Kill-you" Gillis, was cradling his Thompson. God I love this job.

"Hey, what are they doing? Sir! They're tossing shit overboard!" Gillis pulled the Binocs from the GM2. Yep, the bastards were! Crates and Crates of stuff! He turned to the coxswain.

"Can't we go any faster?"

"We're moving just as damn lickety split as we can, Sir."

Gillis scowled, and could only watch as the Crates kept flying off the fishing boat. The Craft arrived at the trawler within minutes, and the fishermen were still tossing stuff off. Of course, they hadn't lowered a ladder.

"Allow me, sir." Boats' Taylor always wore a 'utility belt' that would have made Batman envious. He threw a grappling hook at the life rails, and started to climb up with lightening speed. Gillis followed, then GMC Gamble, then the rest of the boarding party. Gillis got up just in time to see Taylor knock a fisherman on his ass in order to stop him from heaving what appeared to be the last crate overboard. "Freeze Dumbasses!" Gillis aimed his Tommy at a pair that was rushing towards Taylor. Soon, the rest of the Boarding party had pretty much pacified the crew. Gillis gesture with his SMG towards the Crate.

"Open it."

The Fisherman next to the crate folded his arms across his chest and said "No."

Taylor Smacked him in the back of the head, and the man nearly fell to the deck.

"Open the God-damned crate."

Rubbing the back of his head, and all defiance suddenly sapped out of him, the fisherman took a crowbar and pried it open. Gillis and Chief Gamble stepped forward and looked in. Russian Mortars. Gamble picked up a mortar shell and frowned.

"Problem Chief?"

"No Russian made this, Sir. It's too...finished. I'd bet money the shells are of Draka Manufacture, and the mortars themselves were captured during combat operations."

"Think that supposition would hold up in court?"

"No Sir."

Gillis scowled, and turned to the rest of the boarding party.

"Search the ship. Ranta, Zule, and myself will stay here. We're going to start taking this yokels over by 4s to the Pensacola. We'll get ot the bottem of this, damned if we won't."
Last edited by Lonestar on 2004-08-01 11:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Pretty goddamned good.

One nitpick, in this timeline, the Hellcat doesn't appear until about 1943,
and then it's this timeline's Bearcat. Just change the name to "Wildcat'
and you're good to go......

Why do I smell another appendix coming up: "USN and USMC Aviation" :lol:

Also, I like the bit about the Mortar shells being too nicely made to be
Russian. The Russians can make good quality stuff, but don't bother
with neatness on such things as mortar shells.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Changed per your request. (I was assuming everything was accelerated to mid-war, tech wise. My bad, Gee.)

And as for the appendix, damn I'm kinda forcing you into making appendixes all over, aren't I? :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ah yes, and before anyone asks, the "Marine Spotters" are a embryonic Force Recon. :twisted:
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Lonestar wrote:Changed per your request. (I was assuming everything was accelerated to mid-war, tech wise. My bad, Gee.)
The more I think about it; the more I realize that most things in my
DrakaVerse aren't mid-war. Aircraft technology is at best, a year
or maybe a year and a half more advanced due to the additional
driving force of another major power (the Draka) to the R&D Field.

It's in tanks that the Draka really do make an effect, due to their
slavish insistence in massive armor protection to protect their
Citizens, causing the gun/armor race to be significantly accelerated,
IE, you see the Germans fielding the Panzerkampfwagen IV Panther
Ausf A in September 1940, albeit with the old 75mm L48 gun because
they can't work the bugs out of mass producing the 75mm L70 just
yet.
And as for the appendix, damn I'm kinda forcing you into making appendixes all over, aren't I? :P
Bitch. :twisted:

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

beeginning to really dislike the draka's aircraft. Basically uber-tech wanking is one thing, violating basic laws of physics (like basic horsepower/mass=speed fuel=extra mass, and armour and ammo wieghs a shitload. thus something can't be armoured, move really fuckin fast, be highly manuverable while getting unheard of range

all at the same time.

I mean to get the bleeping armour scheme that is allegedly in existance on a draka fighter, they would have to make the whole damn thing out of a mix of Alpha Centauri "Silk Steel" and Titanium, unless they used magnesium alloy, but then it would burn like a roman candle....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

US Navy and USMC Aviation OOB, Circa 1940

Aircraft

Brewster F2A "Buffalo"
4 x .50 Brownings
1,200 hp Wright R-1820-40
161 mph (259 km/hr) Cruise Speed
321 mph (516 km/hr) Top Speed
965 miles (1553 km) Range

COMMENTS: The F2A Buffalo now only equips reserve squadrons ashore.

Grumman F4F-2 "Wildcat"
6 x .50 Brownings
1,200 hp P&W R-1830-86
155 mph (249 km/h) Cruise Speed
318 mph (512 km/h) Top Speed
770 miles (1239 km) Range

COMMENTS: The F4F-2 Wildcat is now the US Navy and US Marine Corps' standard
fighter, having replaced the Buffalo completely in 1939. The -2 variant adds 2 additional
.50 caliber MGs in the wings, as well as implementing folding wings, allowing more
to be stored on carriers.

Grumman F5F "Skyrocket"
2 x 20mm Hispanos, 2 x .50 Brownings
2 x 1,200 hp Wright R-1820-40s
210 mph (337 km/h) Cruise Speed
383 mph (616 km/h) Top Speed
1,200 mile (1,931 km) Range

COMMENTS: The F5F Skyrocket is the US Navy's first shipborne escort fighter, having
the range to escort the SBD to it's target and back.

Douglass TBD-2 "Vengeance"
1 x .50 MG
1 x .50 MG (Rear Gunner)
1,200 lbs of weapons
1,200 hp Wright R-1820-40
130 mph (209 km/hr) Cruise Speed
261 mph (420 km/hr) Max Speed
840 mile (1351 km) Range

COMMENTS: The TBD-2 is the improved follow on to the TBD-1 "Devastator", utilizing the
same basic airframe as the "Devastator", but with a 1,200 hp Wright R-1820-40 engine
replacing the TBD-1's 900 hp P&W R-1830-64, with a heavier bombload and longer
range resulting from this. The changes in performance were deemed sufficient to assign
a new model number.

Douglas SBD "Dauntless"
2 x .50 MG
1 x .50 MG (rearward)
1,600 lbs. of bombs centerline
1,200 Hp Wright R-1820-40
173 mph (278 km/h) Cruise Speed
250 mph (402 km/h) Max Speed
950 miles (1530 km) Range

COMMENTS: The SBD Dauntless fulfills the dual role of a scouting platform
as well as a dive bombing platform due to it's extreme range.

Carrier Air Groups

Carrier Air Group 1 (formerly assigned to CV-1 Langley)
NOTE: This CVG is inactive, following the re-designation of the Langley to an aircraft ferry.
VF Squadron (12 Fighters)
VS Squadron (12 Dive Bombers)
Total: 12 Fighters, 12 Dive Bombers

Carrier Air Group 2 (Assigned to CV-2 Lake)
VT Squadron (12 Torpedo Planes)
Total: 12 Fighters, 12 Torpedo Planes, 12 Dive Bombers

Carrier Air Group 3 - (Assigned to CV-3 United States)
VGF Squadron (12 Escort Fighters)
Total: 24 Fighters, 12 Escort Fighters, 24 Torpedo Planes, 24 Dive Bombers

Carrier Air Groups 4 through 7 (Assigned to the Yorktown Carriers)
Total: 24 Fighters, 12 Escort Fighters, 24 Torpedo Planes, 24 Dive Bombers

Battle Carrier Air Group - CVBG (To be assigned to the new Gettysburg Carriers)
Total: 24 Fighters, 24 Escort Fighters, 36 Torpedo Planes, 36 Dive Bombers

Squadron Designations

US Navy
VF - Fighting Squadron
VGF - Escort Squadron
VS - Scouting Squadron
VT - Torpedo Squadron

US Marine Corps
VMF - Marine Fighter Squadron
VMS - Marine Scouting Squadron
VMTB - Marine Torpedo Bomber Squadron
Last edited by MKSheppard on 2004-08-01 07:00am, edited 2 times in total.