Singers and covers or remakes

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Hemlock, have you heard Dave Matthews cover of All Along The Watchtower? bitchin'!
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
IndustrialNoise
Jedi Knight

Post by IndustrialNoise »

Like people have said, I think it's best to take a song and do it in a completely different style, if you're going to cover it, though this isn't always the case. For example, all of A Perfect Circle's eMOTIVe is made of political songs which they covered, and completely changed most, if not all of them. They covered some classic punk, like Black Flag and Fear, made it something completely their own, and it worked really well. Now, I think Korn needs to be shot for taking Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall and making it "Nu-metal". I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why people like it. The only reason I can come up with is that people who are not familiar with the original version hear the new one, and have nothing to compare it to.

Edit: Has anybody heard 'Let's Go'? It's some horrible rap song, in which they took Crazy Train and just rapped over it, with the obligatory random "Yeah!!", "Okay!!", and "What!?!". Made me want to vomit. :evil:

Have anyone here heard Anal Cunt's cover of "Staying Alive"?
Yes. :D
Oi! Oi! Oi! Oi! Stayin Alive! Stayin Alive!
::SoS:NBA ::GDC::
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Fighter of Foo wrote: Edit: Has anybody heard 'Let's Go'? It's some horrible rap song, in which they took Crazy Train and just rapped over it, with the obligatory random "Yeah!!", "Okay!!", and "What!?!". Made me want to vomit. :evil:
I've heard it and other than the Crazy Train clips it is horrible. Just like P Diddy's (Puff Daddy) Come With Me at the end of the 1998 Godzilla movie. Taking a riff from Kashmir and then doing some crappy rap over it. I don't care whether he got Jimmy Page to play on it or not it still sucks.

I'll have to second the earlier opinion that G-N-R's cover of Sympathy for the Devil isn't that good. As covers go it doesn't totally blow though.

On that front I think the covers they did of Live & Let Die and Hair of the Dog are much worse. HoD being absolutely awful. Axl is getting off entirely too much say "beeeeeeyyyyyyaaaaaaatch". They did do a good cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door.

Sheryl Crow's cover of Sweat Child O' Mine is another bad cover except this time someone's screwing up a GnR song. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I think we can all agree that one of the best covers was Run DMC's "Walk This Way".
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Col. Crackpot wrote:Dalton, maybe it's just me but the GNR cover of Sympathy for the Devil is horrible.
Then you shall be castrated, dissenter.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

DPDarkPrimus wrote:I think we can all agree that one of the best covers was Run DMC's "Walk This Way".
That wasn't really a cover, it was a co-op with Aerosmith.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

1. It's like thread necromancy, as long as you are contributing something to it, covers are cool. I love cash's covers just as well as I love the originals, mostly because they ARE very different.

2. Some covers are better known then the originals: Re Beatles cover of Ruby Tuesday, Areatha Franklin's cover of RESPECT.

3. some cross genre covers are a blast (this is particularly the problem some folks have with the cash covers is they are not country/blues fans). I have heard bluegrass and speed metal versions of Innagadadevita.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:3. some cross genre covers are a blast (this is particularly the problem some folks have with the cash covers is they are not country/blues fans). I have heard bluegrass and speed metal versions of Innagadadevita.
I like country, I just hate Johnny Cash's voice. :P

This thought just occured to me: Say a band makes a song. They own it, it's copywrighted to them. Okay, now a few years later, a band covers a song, singing and playing it exactly the same. Can this second band be sued for doing this, if they make money off of it?
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Hemlock, have you heard Dave Matthews cover of All Along The Watchtower? bitchin'!
Never, but I've never been a big fan of the DMB. I'll check it out, though.
2. Some covers are better known then the originals: Re Beatles cover of Ruby Tuesday, Areatha Franklin's cover of RESPECT.
I didn't know the Beatles covered Ruby Tuesday. Pretty much everyone I know just knows the Rolling Stones version.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I can live with a cover if it's done differently. A few years ago on Radio1 Travis sang Baby One More Time and it was so good i near popped a nut. By contrast everytime i hear a cover by Girls Aloud i want to commit homocide. Singing an original song exactly like the original adds nothing, and in most cases takes away, from the original and is insulting to the paying public.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Peregrin Toker wrote:Have anyone here heard Anal Cunt's cover of "Staying Alive"?
No, but I've heard Exhumed's cover of Material Girl, I'd imagine it'd be along the same lines.

Gary Numan seems happy with the Fear Factory cover of Cars, and I agree with him, personally.

There are a lot of covers that are fucking cool, for instance, Cannibal Corpse's cover of No remorse is superior to the original, as is ORgy's cover of Blue Monday...it really depends on whether the band has the sound to pull it off.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Deathstalker
Jedi Council Member

Post by Deathstalker »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:This thought just occured to me: Say a band makes a song. They own it, it's copywrighted to them. Okay, now a few years later, a band covers a song, singing and playing it exactly the same. Can this second band be sued for doing this, if they make money off of it?
If the band has not gained permission or doesn't pay royalties, they can be sued. When that no talent punk Vanilla Ice sampled from "Under Pressure" by Queen and David Bowie, they sued his no talent punk ass for not gaining permission.
The Yosemite Bear

On the otherhand Lou Reed and Bruce Springstine have waved partial royalties to some rappers who have used their stuff.

*Wild Side remix, and 2Live's cover of Born in the USA

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

I like APC version of Imagine, they turned a beautiful song about chaging the world into something to scare kiddies with and it worked.

Same with liking cash's cover of Hurt, he brought his own perspective to the song and it works again. Its a powerful song by cash. Reznors version is more, for lack of a better word, whiney.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
DocHorror
Rabid Monkey

Post by DocHorror »

Let us not forget the awesome cover of 'Common People' that Shatner did. Now there is a suprisingly excellent cover. The rest of the album isn't bad either.

The afore mentioned George Harrison cover of 'I got my mind...' is up in my list. As is Marilyn Manson's 'Sweet Dreams', White Zombies 'Children of the Grave' and 'I'm Your Boogieman'

The Beatles did a blistering set of covers of 'Twist and Shout' and 'Roll Over Beethoven'.

Metallica did some good covers back in the day, 'So What', 'Last Caress' and 'Stone Cold Crazy' are fabbo. Though I'm not big on the newer ones they did on 'Garage INC'

Then there are some awful covers, Rod Stewarts covers of Tom Waits's 'Downtown Train' and 'Tom Trauberts Blues' both suck.
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Reznor's version is trash, like everything else Nine Inch Nails ever did.

And speaking of copyrights, I recall that the Rolling Stones curbstomped The Verve over the use of a Rolling Stones sample being played backwards in Bittersweet Symphony. How Britney Spears get permission to mangle "Satisfaction" I'll never know.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

HemlockGrey wrote:Reznor's version is trash, like everything else Nine Inch Nails ever did.
Its not all trash. He has some truly amazing tracks. Hurt just isnt one of them.
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Name a few, I'll check them out and see if they're worth anything.
The End of Suburbia
-Robert Moses

Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

HemlockGrey wrote:Name a few, I'll check them out and see if they're worth anything.
Somewhat damaged
The Fragile
StarFuckers Inc.
Perfect Drug
Something i can never have
Sin
March of the Pigs
Closer
and Piggy.

In no particular order. but those tend to be my most listened to tracks.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Shatner?

Shatner performed the greatest cover of all time with his version of Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds. :D Absolutely hilarious.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
The Yosemite Bear

the many covers of:

House of the Rising Sun

The Rolling Stones getting their asses sued for not getting permission from Bob Johnson's estate for "Love in Vein"

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Call me weird, but I like Goldfinger's cover of 99 Red Balloons better than the original.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow