Classical Singing Style: I Hate It...

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

You're dead to me now, boy.

:P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Man, don't be a buzzkill and say crap like that. :P
Fine. You're a pile of musically-illiterate filth and have no right to say jack about music! :D :wink:
Music can name the un-nameable and communicate with the unknowable.
-Leonard Bernstein
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:You're dead to me now, boy.

:P
I like the rest of the film. But ever since I was in high school, I couldn't stand her rendition of the song.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Frank Hipper wrote:Spanky, you're describing that kind of falsetto, formal, overly trained voice that drives me to fits of violence.

The trilled "R"s, the singing of the word "potato" as "po-TAHH-to" and such...I know exactly what you're talking about and hate it as well.

It may have it's place, but that place is not in some tawdry pop song in a musical of the 30s.
Sing "potato" and hold the middle syllable: Po-Taaaaeeeeyyyy(bigfuckingugly out of tune dipthong)to and you'll understand why they do that. ;)

Better post on this latter, but my laptop's battery is at 10%.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Then you're frankly an idiot, because it's been explained or roughly refered to about eight times by five different people in this thread. Either that or you've never seen more than ten films made before 1970.
Well excuse me, princess. As I said, I don't listen to much vocal music. Yet apparently I should have perfect understanding of the difference between "bright" and "dark", or how singing with the throat differs from singing with the mouth, based solely on a few sentences posted on the internet. I beg your forgiveness.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Look, I didn't know what bright and dark meant either until it was explained. Then I understood it perfectly. Aparently you lack that sort of mental capacity.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

I'm an opera singer. And excessive vibrato is a sure sign of bad technique. Vibrato is NOT a product of vibrating the vocal chords, as many singers do. It's a result of proper resonance. Singers with huge vibratos (i.e. Sarah Brightman) are rightfully mocked.

That being said, opera RAWKS. Don't fight me on this.
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Baron Scarpia wrote:I'm an opera singer. And excessive vibrato is a sure sign of bad technique.
Could you tell this to the music theater majors at my school? Please? Pretty please?
-Leonard Bernstein
Baron Scarpia
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Scarpia »

Saurencaerthai wrote:
Baron Scarpia wrote:I'm an opera singer. And excessive vibrato is a sure sign of bad technique.
Could you tell this to the music theater majors at my school? Please? Pretty please?
I'll do what some old school voice teachers would do in such a situation--wrap my hand around their throat and squeeze.

If a young singer, especially, has a thick vibrato, they're in for a world of trouble down the line. I'm surprised it's such a problem for your musical theater majors, though--I thought they typically went for a flat (not pitchwise) sound...
I believe in the Holy Trinity: Bach the Father, Beethoven the Son and Brahms the Holy Ghost.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I had problems even developing vibrato; it sure as hell isn't "thick" in any way. Why would people even try to develop that? I can't imagine that it happens naturally.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Saurencaerthai
Jedi Master

Post by Saurencaerthai »

Baron Scarpia wrote:
Saurencaerthai wrote:
I'll do what some old school voice teachers would do in such a situation--wrap my hand around their throat and squeeze.

If a young singer, especially, has a thick vibrato, they're in for a world of trouble down the line. I'm surprised it's such a problem for your musical theater majors, though--I thought they typically went for a flat (not pitchwise) sound...
There are three main problems that I've seen amongst the MT's: 1. Unfettered shrillness as the result of belting, 2. Intonation issues. 3. Laying on the vibrato. I swear, I've stood outside one of the rooms where an MT was having their lesson and wondered how badly they were going to damage their voice from the sound of what they were singing.
-Leonard Bernstein