Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Good luck.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Flakin
Jedi Knight

Post by Flakin »

The brother of a good friend of mine is EOD right now working somewhere near Bahgdad. Please be safe, good luck, and we'll be thinking about you.

Like the banner says - come home safe.
EBC: Mississippi Division Sleeper Unit "The Sad Weimaraners".
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

PFC Brungardt wrote:Army BCT isn't what it used to be, not even 2 years ago. :x
Hopefully he gets Drill Sergeants that have deployed to Iraq.
You know what? Fuck it. I'll be the dick. I was a Sgt.

Get your head out of your ass, bring your feet up to your self. Catch up and cover down, asshole. So what? You're deploying. Does that make you special?

I have relatives deployed right now, I have people I know over in the sand box this very moment. People in this very board have been there, and people on this board are there this very moment.

YOU, are not special. Congradulations; you are apart of the military and pose a significant possibility of being deployed to Iraq.

Welcome to the +100,000. I hope you mange to keep your head down, but more importently, I hope you learn to help keep you're troops heads down and bring them back alive.

Good luck, and all, yet a nagging part of me hopes you learn your lessons quick and keep soldiers alive. You are not the first to deploy, and not the last to come back.

I'm not being a dick, rather being realistic and sick of the boots bitcheing they're now in the big greeen dick.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Medic
Sith Devotee

Post by Medic »

Knife wrote:I'm not being a dick, rather being realistic and sick of the boots bitcheing they're now in the big greeen dick.
In a less-blunt way I was saying something similar. He's in an MOS that's very likely to deploy and hopefully he's not shortchanged in anyway cause of recent chagnes in BCT. The standards have not lowered but the conditions aren't as rigorous. BCT trainees nowadays IMO are being shortchanged because their training will not even begin to approach the levels of stress they'll experience in combat, compared to past training environments.

Hence, hopefully he gets some DS's that've recently deployed, and I'll be blunt now: I hope he gets a hard-ass Drill. Mine didn't candy coat it: "you know where you're all going after this? [no response] Y'all goin' to Iraq!"

edit: although I'm not taking any annoyance to him merely telling us all this or the fact that a few people before him've also said it -- most people are more social than me and even I don't hold it against them
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

good luck...

*I'm just now realizing that he's half my age.... (of course I'm still not over loosing my cousin whose still the bratty pre-teen I knew from a dozen years ago in my mind)....

or in short Pulp, please don't be like my Navaho step cousin, please come home alive.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:good luck...

*I'm just now realizing that he's half my age.... (of course I'm still not over loosing my cousin whose still the bratty pre-teen I knew from a dozen years ago in my mind)....

or in short Pulp, please don't be like my Navaho step cousin, please come home alive.
All he can do is keep his head down and follow his training, if he does that than the rest is out of his hands. But when he goes to the sandbox I hope he comes back in one piece.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I know but that emotional part of me, doesn't understand....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin