Trump and the Jan 6 investigation

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

The Infidel
Jedi Master

Re: Trump and the Jan 6 investigation

Post by The Infidel »

Zor wrote: 2024-05-31 05:28am Equality before the law, liberty within the law, nobody above the law.

That, in brief, is what the Rule of Law means. A lofty idea that we often fall short of, but still one we should and must strive for lest "Justice" become nothing more than a stamp of legitimization for the rich and powerful's whims. Trump getting convicted shows that in spite of neglect and despite wilful sabotage the machinery of society can still bloody work.

Zor
Yes! I want Trump to be treated like a poor, black man! It should be the same, right?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Infidel wrote: 2024-05-31 06:02am Can a convicted criminal run for president?
Yep. The only restrictions are being a natural born citizen, over 35 years of age and having resided in the US for 14 years.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

3-Body Problem wrote: 2024-05-30 08:58pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2024-05-30 07:33pm
3-Body Problem wrote: 2024-05-30 05:52pm Now come as many appeals as his legal team can find grounds for.
Their appeal filing will be interesting. Especially if Trump demands that they include bits that stand no chance.
It'll be interesting to see what grounds he'll file on and how much his legal team can keep him muzzled between now and then.
They've done a pitiful job so far, Trump seems determined to set a record for the number of times he can be held in contempt of court :lol:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Hah, the only way you could keep Trump muzzled would be to put him into a medically induced coma, and then live stream it so people know anything that is posted/said as 'original' was not by him.

Of course, given what most of Trumps supporters are like, they'll claim it's not really Trump in the coma, but the real Trump fighting for them or some stupidity like that.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2024-05-31 11:55am
The Infidel wrote: 2024-05-31 06:02am Can a convicted criminal run for president?
Yep. The only restrictions are being a natural born citizen, over 35 years of age and having resided in the US for 14 years.
Eugene Debs and Lyndon LaRouche ran for President while in prison.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elfdart wrote: 2024-06-01 02:13am
I would love to see Trump doing the same :mrgreen:
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Just imagine him doing a phone interview with Fox News only to be cut off by a prison guard saying "no, you've used your phone call, back to your cell."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-06-01 11:03am

Suppose the judge gives a suspended sentence, fine, deferred adjudication, community service or 60 days in jail -all plausible sentences for what Trump was convicted of.*

It might do him some good: Not only will he get to act like Dennis the Peasant ("Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"), but being locked up will do for him what Covid-19 did for Biden: Giving him fewer chances to say moronic shit. Trump's biggest enemy is his own big mouth.* Then he's back on the campaign trail by September more shameless and motivated than ever -and his mouth-breather fans will lap it up like pigs at a trough.

* Trump's hooligan behavior during the trial, as well as his groupies' bullfuckery (which included attacking the judge's daughter) could land him a much harsher sentence. I've seen judges lower the boom on people for much less idiotic behavior in a courtroom.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-06-01 11:09am Just imagine him doing a phone interview with Fox News only to be cut off by a prison guard saying "no, you've used your phone call, back to your cell."
:lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elfdart wrote: 2024-06-02 12:09am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-06-01 11:03am

Suppose the judge gives a suspended sentence, fine, deferred adjudication, community service or 60 days in jail -all plausible sentences for what Trump was convicted of.*

It might do him some good: Not only will he get to act like Dennis the Peasant ("Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"), but being locked up will do for him what Covid-19 did for Biden: Giving him fewer chances to say moronic shit. Trump's biggest enemy is his own big mouth.* Then he's back on the campaign trail by September more shameless and motivated than ever -and his mouth-breather fans will lap it up like pigs at a trough.

* Trump's hooligan behavior during the trial, as well as his groupies' bullfuckery (which included attacking the judge's daughter) could land him a much harsher sentence. I've seen judges lower the boom on people for much less idiotic behavior in a courtroom.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2024-06-01 11:09am Just imagine him doing a phone interview with Fox News only to be cut off by a prison guard saying "no, you've used your phone call, back to your cell."
:lol:
Considering he was held in contempt a dozen times hopefully the sentence will reflect that :mrgreen:
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Give him 1 year per charge, to be served concurrently.

There, he's gone.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I'd settle for six weeks in jail as his rich person slap on the wrist. It would be the worst punishment he's endured in his adult life, drive home that the courts actually do have that sort of power over him and wouldn't even unfairly stop him from campaigning.

And it wouldn't be the nothing we all expect.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2024-06-02 03:08pm I'd settle for six weeks in jail as his rich person slap on the wrist. It would be the worst punishment he's endured in his adult life, drive home that the courts actually do have that sort of power over him and wouldn't even unfairly stop him from campaigning.

And it wouldn't be the nothing we all expect.
Only if it's before the campaign, and in solitary confinement. Books are allowed, but not writing material.
And I want his every utterance recorded for 'leaking' to the press the entire time he is in there.