World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Zinegata »

Imperial528->

Yeah, noticed you too at the start of the match but wasn't sure if you were the SD.neter. Nice shooting.
The Vortex Empire wrote:Leaked from the 8.6 supertest. Arty can be top tier now. What an abomination.
Good, so much the better. We can fight in the shade! :lol:
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That's also test server where everybody wants to try the new arty. Hopefully that doesn't happen too often when I'm out of my scouts.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

More important question:
Does it balance the top tier arty, or are we going to see top tier arty vs. top tier heavies, and if we do, how well will that balance?
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Vejut wrote:More important question:
Does it balance the top tier arty, or are we going to see top tier arty vs. top tier heavies, and if we do, how well will that balance?
I don't see why they wouldn't balance top tier arty. They do it for nearly everything else.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The aim is to return to the previous arty balance where there was no cap and arty weight was balanced between teams, but that will depend on whether the arty flood at high tiers is solved or not by the rebalance.

I suspect that it won't be, because so many people will still already have their high tier arty, and in fact all that will happen is that arty parties will spread out further down the tier list, shitting up the game more than ever. Until we can convince artillery players to drown themselves in real life as well as when it looks like there's some danger they'll have to fight they'll continue to be the worst thing in the game.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Karelia Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:09:12 PM
Vehicle: T34
Experience received: 2,346 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 69,948
Battle Achievements: Sniper

Would've survived, too, were it not for a rocketcamper somehow hitting me right after it turned around. Damn thing didn't even take time to aim.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I've now decided that every time I see someone bitch about arty I'm going to use mine to shoot the tracks off a friendly just to watch them cry.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

News in 8.6:

Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This video is pretty nice and clearly explains what's going on. I like what they did with it.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: Steppes Friday, May 31, 2013 9:31:24 PM
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 1,804
Credits received: 46,905
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall

Dear premium account: I love you. You make tier 8 fun.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well, the Indien Panzer was proving to not be fun. Continuing my trend of sucking with mediums. So now I'm back to trying out American heavies. Everything I've heard about that tree is good, so here's hoping that proves true.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Alkaloid wrote:I've now decided that every time I see someone bitch about arty I'm going to use mine to shoot the tracks off a friendly just to watch them cry.
And I will swing my tanks gun around and TK you off the map. Then you get a fine for causing team damage, and no reward due to being knocked out early.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, the Indien Panzer was proving to not be fun. Continuing my trend of sucking with mediums. So now I'm back to trying out American heavies. Everything I've heard about that tree is good, so here's hoping that proves true.
It is. They are, basically, the best or second best tanks in their tier for the whole length of the tree, and some of them are borderline overpowered (or, in the case of the T57 Heavy, utterly off the charts OP).

One word of caution though, do not, under any circumstances, ever mount the 76mm gun on a T29, you will make the baby jesus cry.

In fact, if you can save up some free XP unlock the 90mm on the M6 as soon as possible because even that's pretty painful with the many and varied 76mms it can choose from, in the fine tradition of tier 6 mediums that don't put their man pants on until they get the top gun (I just got the 122mm on the KV-1S after a week of pain with the tank, and it's immediately able to do 2000 damage in a tier 8 game with relative ease).
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Bought back the Tiger II and E-75 since they were on sale, and man, do I regret selling them in the first place. The Tiger II is a heavily armored, reasonably mobile, well armed tank. Pretty much excellent all around. The E-75, on the the other hand, is an invincible titan.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The E-75 should be even more of a juggernaut with the gold shell nerfs too.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Also picked up the 4502 Ausf A, and I must say, this thing doesn't deserve the bad rep it has at all. Damn good tank. Okay armor, good firepower, great mobility. Reminds me of the IS-8.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Vendetta wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Well, the Indien Panzer was proving to not be fun. Continuing my trend of sucking with mediums. So now I'm back to trying out American heavies. Everything I've heard about that tree is good, so here's hoping that proves true.
It is. They are, basically, the best or second best tanks in their tier for the whole length of the tree, and some of them are borderline overpowered (or, in the case of the T57 Heavy, utterly off the charts OP).

One word of caution though, do not, under any circumstances, ever mount the 76mm gun on a T29, you will make the baby jesus cry.

In fact, if you can save up some free XP unlock the 90mm on the M6 as soon as possible because even that's pretty painful with the many and varied 76mms it can choose from, in the fine tradition of tier 6 mediums that don't put their man pants on until they get the top gun (I just got the 122mm on the KV-1S after a week of pain with the tank, and it's immediately able to do 2000 damage in a tier 8 game with relative ease).
I may only be on the T1, but I've heard horror stories of a T29 with its stock gun. No intentions of going through that pain...which is why I'm not going the Sherman-Jumbo-T29 route. And the fact I suck at Mediums :P

Thankfully ditching the Indien means I have some spare free XP I can use on the M6 if needed.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Also picked up the 4502 Ausf A, and I must say, this thing doesn't deserve the bad rep it has at all. Damn good tank. Okay armor, good firepower, great mobility. Reminds me of the IS-8.
Anybody who ever says bad things about that tank is a liar and a bastard. Pubbed my way to 1023 xp a match, half of the time solo in that thing. Freaking amazing tank.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Vendetta wrote:It is. They are, basically, the best or second best tanks in their tier for the whole length of the tree, and some of them are borderline overpowered (or, in the case of the T57 Heavy, utterly off the charts OP).

The only really "bad" tank in the US heavy tree is the T1 Heavy, and only because it can't get the 105mm HE and the crazy HEAT shenanigans.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The T1 is far from bad, as long as you angle well and keep the front towards the enemy. I ended up with a 63% winrate over 101 battles. It's not got as big a gun as the others, but it does have something ridiculous like an 800HP engine that means it's pushing some of the mediums for mobility, and I found a surprising amount of shots get eaten by its tracks.

The only low point of the tree is the M6 without the 90mm.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The T1 also has the advantage that its front armor is by no means low for its tier. Even without angling it bounces plenty of shots in a tier 5 battle. Wedged myself under the bridge once on Widepark and just sat there and bounced twenty or more shots, all while relieving five or so tanks of the burden of being operational.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Been fucking around on the test server and found a tank I like better than the T110E5. The T57 is baller as fuck.

Also, if you're worried about arty the spall liners keep arty from doing much more than tracking you on splashs. Depending on what you're driving vs the shell they're chuckin it makes ita fuckload harder to one-shot you.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Not really, the spall liner description says it reduces HE damage by 15% or whatever, but what it actually does is make the effective armor thickness against HE 15% thicker, which will save you maybe 100 damage, if you're very lucky. Spall liners are maybe viable on the Maus or E-100, but on everything else they're pretty much worthless.
But yeah, T57 is completely ridiculous.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

What I'm enjoying from the spall liner is rolling a maus with one and taking 1k damage from T92 direct hits.

The T57 and Leo one are both super cool and I want one of each. Right now I'm worrying about running a ridiculous sum of WoWP games to make mad golds though.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Vendetta wrote:The T1 is far from bad
Yes, hence me saying "bad" as opposed to bad. :lol:

The 105mm HEAT is really just that stupid broken. If the T1 could carry the 105mm, it would be in the running for the holy trinity of Tier 5 (likely edging out the KV).