World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Mr. Coffee »

The Dark wrote:Which is why smart artillery fires a shot and GTFOs. I've learned to use the spacebar to stop when I reach my shooting position, so the moment my shot's out the barrel, I'm accelerating at maximum away from my shooting place.
Thanksfuly, not many smart artillery players actually exist. nine out of ten of them are perfectly content to find a spot they think is hidden from view and they won't move the entire match (especially after that 150mm cores them a new asshole).
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Which is particularly amusing since soft cover appears to do nothing, everyone has 21st century battlenet integration and they're too stupid to look at the minimap.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Stark wrote:Which is particularly amusing since soft cover appears to do nothing, everyone has 21st century battlenet integration and they're too stupid to look at the minimap.
And now you know what I was bitching about with the ma/birds eye spotter thing. Really, iff it wouldonly give you a red flashing grid reference and force you to look that would be heaps better and thats from the stand point of playing artillery.

Also, the 150mm L30 on the Hummel... God I love the hummel... I can drop a tiger II to half it's hit points in a volley and kill most everything else outright, but in a chassis that can actually shoot and scoot.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

At this point I'd be greatful for either a good medium to stick with me or two other arties to work with me.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

I was just in a match with my new T-34, that had no less than six SPG-51's or Hummels on each dammed side. As per the usual, moving more than six feet in a single go meant I and every other tank player on the field got blasted by an Ion Cannon.

I do not play WoT to be a fucking artillery spotter. Between insta-death for light tanks, getting detracked when the shell even lands in the same time zone for mediums and heavies, and the "lol. you should be scouting then" bullshit, it's no wonder more and more people are leaving the fucking arty to die when opposing tanks somehow manage to get in range.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

"Scouting" also means shooting enemy artillery. (And you get XP/$$$ for spotting you big baby)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Commander 598 wrote:"Scouting" also means shooting enemy artillery. (And you get XP/$$$ for spotting you big baby)
How much exactly and spotting how? If I call attention on the map does that earn me money or just seeing them give me money? I know it's not much because I experimented with death dives for awhile, IE getting in my A20 and run around their flag as long as possible as arty rains down on their arty.

As for killing enemy arty, it would be nice if shooting them with 75mm and above guns reliably killed them instead of randomly it taking seven rounds of 76mm to down a Hummel while shooing him in the side/rear only to kill his mate instantly with one shot.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If spotting was something active you did (as in many shooters) instead of a radius of auto-spot that is auto-reported, it'd be easy to support arty. As far as I know all you can do is spam map pings (which really needs a q-menu, but anyway) and so many people do that its not surprising people ignore it.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Commander 598 wrote:"Scouting" also means shooting enemy artillery. (And you get XP/$$$ for spotting you big baby)
If you're a scout chances are the arty is going to be all together and they can one-shot you.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

Well if they're "all together" just pin one of them just pin one of them and watch the hilarity. :lol:

But really, most of the time I'm impressed if they even notice I'm shooting them.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Is this shit down for everyone else? Keep getting an error about the updater not working or some shit.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Yesterday I saw on the updater that they were going to be doing maintenance on the 14th, so that's probably the issue.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Is this shit down for everyone else? Keep getting an error about the updater not working or some shit.
Servers are down today for working on the net code and a major patch due out tomorrow. Normal rumors about one of the tree's being added in this update. No more information than that.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Mr Bean wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:Is this shit down for everyone else? Keep getting an error about the updater not working or some shit.
Servers are down today for working on the net code and a major patch due out tomorrow. Normal rumors about one of the tree's being added in this update. No more information than that.
Hmm...they had 11 American tanks working back in August. *hopehopehope*
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I heard a rumor that the next update is going to wipe all your accounts tanks, but remember it is definitely an out there sort of rumor.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is it really a great idea to add in more units when they have more important mechanical shit to do? This IS the game where they say that machineguns are useless, even though they start with improved WWI tanks where machineguns would actually be just fine. I guess the urge to see a Sherman struggle to get up a hill is pretty powerful, but still... :)
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I just wish they'd find a way to make the Hetzer actually worth using. No matter which weapon you put on it it's still to slow to get to an ambush spot and too weak to survive to finish what few tanks it can actually penetrate. I like playing as TD's but that think makes me want to rage quit every game I join with it.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Servers are back up, forums are going down
Norade wrote:I just wish they'd find a way to make the Hetzer actually worth using. No matter which weapon you put on it it's still to slow to get to an ambush spot and too weak to survive to finish what few tanks it can actually penetrate. I like playing as TD's but that think makes me want to rage quit every game I join with it.
Make it more invisible it's simply. The Hetzer is tiny it should be next to impossible to see expect from point blank range when hiding in shrubs. IE just like the Hetzer was in real life. Dangerous because it was cheap, but more importantly dangerous because it could be quickly dug in to be less than two foot tall with gun protruding.

JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Mr Bean wrote:Servers are back up, forums are going down
Norade wrote:I just wish they'd find a way to make the Hetzer actually worth using. No matter which weapon you put on it it's still to slow to get to an ambush spot and too weak to survive to finish what few tanks it can actually penetrate. I like playing as TD's but that think makes me want to rage quit every game I join with it.
Make it more invisible it's simply. The Hetzer is tiny it should be next to impossible to see expect from point blank range when hiding in shrubs. IE just like the Hetzer was in real life. Dangerous because it was cheap, but more importantly dangerous because it could be quickly dug in to be less than two foot tall with gun protruding.
Making the spotting active like in the battlfield games would tie into this nicely.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I still think obscuring the target outline (the way they overlay obscured parts of your own tank) would allow things like hetzer to sneak around without being it devolving into 'he's within 400m of someone else so I get an aspect outline showing me his flank and one-shot him'. Can anyone confirm soft cover even reduces the magical auto-spot range?
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Mr Bean wrote:Servers are back up, forums are going down
The issue is that with so few maps and so few places that offer both cover and good place to get shots on the side armor of the heavies you face you're either chugging to get there before everybody has passed you by, or you're nailed by blind fired arty because they know the usual spots. With every other TD you can move faster or have weapons that have decent penetration. 60mm or armor, a low speed, and a lack of decent weapons isn't made up for if the first shot you take doesn't kill anybody and you get cored with their first shot.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stark wrote:I still think obscuring the target outline (the way they overlay obscured parts of your own tank) would allow things like hetzer to sneak around without being it devolving into 'he's within 400m of someone else so I get an aspect outline showing me his flank and one-shot him'. Can anyone confirm soft cover even reduces the magical auto-spot range?
It does, many is the time I've ran forward with my A20 and spent the round doing call outs while not being bothered by other tanks. Problem is any tank with 30-50 meters will see you instantly unlike a TD which at least the other guy has to be looking your way (Well kind of...)

The big thing is you have to get there first and STOP. Moving at all seems to negate any advantage of soft cover except in a TD.

Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Stark wrote:Can anyone confirm soft cover even reduces the magical auto-spot range?
Chasing a tank through a forest makes it so you can lose them even when they're within 50-100m, if enough foliage gets in the way.

Does anyone know if different tanks can be spotted at different distances, after factoring in movement and firing? Does a stationary Maus or KV-2 show up just as easily as a Hetzer or PzKpfw II?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I didn't have a problem with my Hetzer. Just use the StuH with HE rounds and you can damage even heavies. Plus I've seen that armor bounce 88s. It won't always deflect an insta-kill shot, but now and then it does which can let you get off that extra shot.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

The Hetzer is a terrible TD, the fact that it can bounce enemy rounds every now and then doesn't make sticking with it a good choice and citing that it works great with a gun that by it's designation is probably meant for a Stug isn't really a good argument in it's favor.