NHL 2006/2007 Thread

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Yep, 3 whole games, and Kaberle looks to be out 1-2 weeks.

It will take someone dying, or crippled for life before they make fundamental changes. Can't get rid of the instigator rule, though, oh no. Fighting is evil. Much better with these uber duber checks to the head, or stickwork and dirty tricks. :evil:

Can't wait to hear what Cherry has to say tonight.

Battle of Alberta round XXIV should be interesting though, with teams heading in opposite directions, Oiler spin machine to the contrary :P
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Burak Gazan wrote:Can't wait to hear what Cherry has to say tonight.
I'm not sure what to expect given Cherry's well known prejudice against Europeans. If it were Brian McCabe who got hit, Cherry will yell and scream until his whole face turns red and continue ranting until he either loses his voice or Coach's Corner ends. Since Kaberle isn't a "good ol' Canadian boy", I predict Cherry acknowledge that it was a cheap hit and that you can't do that, but at the same time he'll say something like "kids, this is why you keep your head up, I mean look at this, one, two, three, look at him admiring his pass, YOU CAN'T DO THAT! YOU GOTTA KEEP YOUR HEAD UP!"
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Pretty much as predicted, Cherry has been a fucking useless gasbag for years now. Thats 5 minutes of my life I can't get back.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Domi knocks out Ulf, what a fine punch.

Puck wasn't anywhere near him, total cheap shot. Janssen is a tool. Cheap shots are all he has since he isn't that good of a fighter. [/url]
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

OT Thriller at the Joe today, credit to the Wings for stealing a point back late in the game despite the OT Choke.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Darth Fanboy wrote:OT Thriller at the Joe today, credit to the Wings for stealing a point back late in the game despite the OT Choke.
Bah, last shot wasn't Ozzie's fault. Schneider was the one who blew it, Oz nearly bailed him out but the D blew it again and couldn't get the guy who poked in the rebound. I'd like to see a replay of that, he might have had it, in which case there should have been a whistle.

As a whole, Wings had an off game. When they finally turned it on in the third, Oz let in a softie between the pads that deflated them hardcore.

EDIT: But you can help us go a long way to feeling better by beating the Preds tonight, Fanboy. ;)
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The Sharks finally win one, again, against a seemingly tired Dallas team that still out-shot us by a wide margin. Fortunately, our second, third, and fourth lines played well, as did Nabokov.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote: Bah, last shot wasn't Ozzie's fault. Schneider was the one who blew it, Oz nearly bailed him out but the D blew it again and couldn't get the guy who poked in the rebound. I'd like to see a replay of that, he might have had it, in which case there should have been a whistle.

I watched the replay a few different times on the ol' DVR. HE didn't have it. Osgood made a good intial stop and got no help with the rebound. Colorado should have never been allowed to have a breakaway like that, but apparently once Lidstrom is off the ice you might as well call them the Etroit Re Wings. (Anyone notice the missing D?)
As a whole, Wings had an off game. When they finally turned it on in the third, Oz let in a softie between the pads that deflated them hardcore.

EDIT: But you can help us go a long way to feeling better by beating the Preds tonight, Fanboy. ;)
Will do. Last time we had NAshville at the pond, we drowned them in it. 4-0 including a fun to watch Parros/Hordichuk bout, best game of the season I believe we have played save for the 5-0 game against the Sharks. I feel bad I don't have tickets for it, because I would like to see Vitaly Vishnevski, but they don't need a 17,175th person there to boo Kariya.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sorry we couldn't keep them from getting the 1 DGG. But it was a helluva comeback.

Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

News from the Pittsburgh front.

Link here.
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

This is stupid. Of all the US Hockey franchises, Pittsburgh has a top notch fan base, well above average TV ratings, and their attendance has been phenomenal. Not to mention the fact that they may well have three excellent young players with a solid core around them that could easily revive the franchise. This is a bad move and The NHL needs to start doing what it can to make the Penguins stay in Pittsburgh.

Kansas City couldn't even keep a team when Hockey had respect in the US, and their fans are the almost the worst fairweather fans ever. Don't stick Crosby, Malkin, and Staal into the ass end of the US.

Plus, if i'm the owner of the St. Louis Blues. I get really really pissed about that idea. Lets not forget about how moving an eastern team to the West fucks the alignment of the divisions. (Columbus or Nashville getting kicked into the east then? Not Chicago or Detroit.)

One last thing and i'm done. From what I understand if a team ever needed a new Home it's the Penguins. The old Mellon Arena is a hole from everything i've been led to understand.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Bob McKenzie's take on things TSN

I hope they stay in Pitt, pitching all that young talent into the wasteland of KC would be a collossal mistake. Mack's right on one thing -- this BS has gone on way too long :roll:
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Sens blow a 3 goal lead in the 3d period, Jordan Staal scores another shorthanded goal. The Penguins are winning even with Crosby not playing well.

This would be an excellent first round playoff series.

UPDATE:

Pens win in shootout. Shootout goals by Christensen (damn he is good in shootouts) and Crosby.

Darth Garden Gnome

Holy shit, what a hockey game. Wings topple Preds in a shootout 4-3. I use the terms "Wings" loosely, since they were missing Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Cleary, Samuelsson, and of course Bertuzzi for tonights game.

If you have a chance to see Matt Schneider's goal, do. There's enough electricity in that thing to power the city of Detroit for a week.

I am so pumped right now.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Finally saw Matt's goal; very pretty and number 200 as well, WTG :D
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I highly recommend anyone who hasn;t seen it yet to view Joe DiePenta's game winning goal from the Ducks/Yotes game Wednesday night. I was half-drunk and didn't entirely believe what I had seen until I saw thirty replays the next day. Frickin' awesome.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

A 5-1 shellacking of the soilers with much entertanment tonight.

Chris Simon suspended indefinitely for his attempted decapitation of Hollweg, it wasn't quite as bad as McSorely or Bertuzzi, but it deserves to be mentioned alongside those two incidents.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I'm greatly upset since hockey coverage in my area has been pre-empted by curling, curling for god's sake! :x
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Just watched the highlights of that game, some good stuff there. The Oilers look like they just going through the motions out there, it was very much 2 teams at opposite ends of the spectrum

I wonder if the NHL squirrels going to address the minor factoid that Simon tried the decap shot shortly after getting gooned by Hellweg (no call) and is currently under the effects of what looks like a concussion. Stupid move by Simon though.

And what was the deal there in Vancouver Tuesday with the woman throwing her bra on the ice after Jeff Cowan got his 2nd goal? Hat trick is usually hats for 3; now bras for 2? Might be a new trend :lol:
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Leafs come from behind to tie the game after being down 3-1, and Tucker wins it in OT with a beauty. And with the Penguins winning this afternoon, they now only 1 point back of 4th place. Go Pens! And die, Ottawa, die! :twisted:

Game 2 coming up, Flames/Lightning
Archon
Padawan Learner

Post by Archon »

The officiating...

IT BURNS!
In Omnia Paratus.
Peace. Order. Good government.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Archon wrote:The officiating...

IT BURNS!
It must have been a weird game, Friesen actually scored.

Darth Garden Gnome

Booo sloppy afternoon loss.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

An NHL Record 25 game suspension for Chris Simon. A good thing, but hopefully the league doesn't use this as further justification to continue the trasformation of the NHL into the No Hitting League.

EDIT: Victory over the Nucks! Selanne becomes first player age 35+ to put together back to back 40 goal seasons.

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

YES!

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=29 ... rvice=page

HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -The Penguins reached a deal on financing for a new arena that will keep the NHL team in Pittsburgh.

The agreement - with city, county and state officials - was announced by Gov. Ed Rendell on Tuesday at the Pennsylvania Gaming Congress. He said money from the state's new slot machine parlors would help fund the arena.

The Penguins had threatened to leave Pittsburgh if they couldn't secure a new rink. Their lease at 46-year-old Mellon Arena, the oldest facility in the league, expires June 30 and the team is free to leave after that.

The Penguins began playing in Pittsburgh in 1967, and won Stanley Cup titles in 1991 and 1992. Their home attendance and local TV ratings are among the strongest of the NHL's 24 U.S. franchises.