The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Eighty One Up

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

darksoul
Padawan Learner

Re: The Salvation War: Pantheocide. Part Seventy Four Up

Post by darksoul »

Werrf wrote:Just a word on the cosmology (as I understand it), there's no need for us to go to Universe C for Yahweh's enemies, any other of the bubble worlds in U-B would do just fine. Hell and Heaven are just two of the bubbles in the foam that makes up Universe B, while U-A is a crossroads for them because it's so easy to open portals from B to A, and from A to B, but so hard to open them from B to B.

U-C from what we've seen has such radically different physical laws that neither we nor the U-B denizens can interact with it in any meaningful way, making it an unlikely source for the Devils that Yahweh fought.

Unless, of course, I'm missing or have forgotten some part of the explanation (entirely possible - elucidate me if I have).
no, you haven't. we are just keeping all options open here.
Razor One
Youngling

Post by Razor One »

darksoul wrote:
impatrick4life wrote:Socially speaking, technology might have been possible in some of the other universes.
given that nothing is known in those other universes, yes, of course it's possible. Given enough worlds is not only possible, but statistically probable, etc.

What's more interesting, which of the known pantheons is more likely to have develop some technology?
Just taking a wild stab in the dark here, but based on my albeit limited knowledge, the Shinto pantheon might be likely to have developed technology in some form.

Even so, I'd wager that is likely to have developed by way of magical thinking. "The Mystery of Motion" as opposed to the "Laws of Motion", if you will. They may be able to experimentally probe the limits of their local bubble but not feel inclined to ask too deeply once they have an answer that works. They might work out certain aspects of Newtonian physics but completely miss out on the more esoteric subjects such as relativity, atomic structure and so on.

Just some idle thoughts :)
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

~Tennyson

Nematocyst
Padawan Learner

Post by Nematocyst »

Angels do have bows and arrows.

"Out, across the battlefield, he [Dripankeothorofenex] saw an angel, a large one, possibly even an Ophanim, rising over the ridgeline, his wings carrying him up as he fired arrows from the bow in his hands." Pantheocide, Chapter 68
And HUMANITY said: "it is our duty, not as men or women, not as black or white, but as HUMANS, to defend our species from utter annihilation and damnation. These Beings that for so long believed themselves masters of our destiny finally dropped their facade. HUMANITY will, as one, declare WAR on them. HUMANITY is master of its' own destiny. And we will fight to the last"
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Nematocyst wrote:Angels do have bows and arrows.

"Out, across the battlefield, he [Dripankeothorofenex] saw an angel, a large one, possibly even an Ophanim, rising over the ridgeline, his wings carrying him up as he fired arrows from the bow in his hands." Pantheocide, Chapter 68
indeed. so, as said before, outclassed completely by modern technology.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

darksoul wrote:
Nematocyst wrote:Angels do have bows and arrows.

indeed. so, as said before, outclassed completely by modern technology.
Well... we saw in Avatar what an arrow the size of a javelin can do to technology.
Ophanim and higher are as large as or larger than the Na'vi, so their arrows and bows would be sized up as well. A bow with a hundred-pound pull in a trained human hand can punch through steel, as the Frenchmen learned the hard way. Now size that up to an arrow close to 2m long, with an angel that can probably pull two or three hundred pound bow without the help of a breakdown wheel.
An arrow fired from a bow with that amount of strength behind it should go through a Bradley's windshield with no problems. If the Bradley had the same armoring as the ones currently in Iraq and Afganistan, the arrow may go through the door as well. (it's pretty cheap armor, iirc)

However, bringing a bow and arrows to a gunfight leaves you up the creek when it comes to range and refire rate. The angel's still fucked.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

LadyTevar wrote:Now size that up to an arrow close to 2m long, with an angel that can probably pull two or three hundred pound bow without the help of a breakdown wheel.
An arrow fired from a bow with that amount of strength behind it should go through a Bradley's windshield with no problems. If the Bradley had the same armoring as the ones currently in Iraq and Afganistan, the arrow may go through the door as well. (it's pretty cheap armor, iirc)
Bradley's windshield? :?

Windshield?

Or did you mean a Humvee's windshield?
Because those have windshields instead of vision slits and periscopes.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

LadyTevar wrote:Well... we saw in Avatar what an arrow the size of a javelin can do to technology.
Ophanim and higher are as large as or larger than the Na'vi, so their arrows and bows would be sized up as well. A bow with a hundred-pound pull in a trained human hand can punch through steel, as the Frenchmen learned the hard way. Now size that up to an arrow close to 2m long, with an angel that can probably pull two or three hundred pound bow without the help of a breakdown wheel.

However, bringing a bow and arrows to a gunfight leaves you up the creek when it comes to range and refire rate. The angel's still fucked.
So, based on Avatar, those bows and arrows should only work selectively based on whether that particular scene is dramatically trying to show the Na'vi helpless against the human war machine or triumphantly defeating the humans (as witnessed by one one scene the arrows bouncing uselessly off the cockpits of the human vessels but later going straight through them)? :D

But seriously, the angels probably have a ferocious draw weight on their bows and can do damage by sheer weight, but the problem is that its not particularly likely that they are going be effective. Beyond a small distance, those bows would be lucky to hit anything, meaning that angels would be restricted to exactly what those English guys did; massed volleys. That's suicide, unfortunately, for the angels.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Well... we saw in Avatar what an arrow the size of a javelin can do to technology.

So, based on Avatar, those bows and arrows should only work selectively based on whether that particular scene is dramatically trying to show the Na'vi helpless against the human war machine or triumphantly defeating the humans (as witnessed by one one scene the arrows bouncing uselessly off the cockpits of the human vessels but later going straight through them)? :D

But seriously, the angels probably have a ferocious draw weight on their bows and can do damage by sheer weight, but the problem is that its not particularly likely that they are going be effective. Beyond a small distance, those bows would be lucky to hit anything, meaning that angels would be restricted to exactly what those English guys did; massed volleys. That's suicide, unfortunately, for the angels.
Not to mention it's tiring. Even if angels are stronger, they are pulling bigger arrows, so they'll tire comparatively equal to humans. So yeah...
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Gil Hamilton wrote:But seriously, the angels probably have a ferocious draw weight on their bows and can do damage by sheer weight, but the problem is that its not particularly likely that they are going be effective.
Doesn't that imply that the angels will have materials from which to manufacture their bows that will take full advantage of their superior strength? As far as we know they're still basically at bronze age technology -- centuries before something as advanced as the Welsh longbow, never mind a modern example.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Deebles
Youngling

Post by Deebles »

Two more problems with angelic longbows punching through tanks:
1) Arrows can punch through armour, yes, but only from a short distance. Their velocity tails off pretty sharply as they travel.
2) Serious longbowmen had quite specific training that led to oddly unbalanced physiques, with different muscular development, EDIT even skeletal development, in the two different arms - it used to be said that "to train a good longbowman, you had to start with his grandfather". One of the main advantages of early firearms was that they required a lot less training (as in weeks, rather than years). I somehow doubt that Angels, with thousands of years since they were last at war and quite effective natural ranged abilities (trumpeting) would really bother with training seriously in the use of bows.
Last edited by Deebles on 2010-07-05 06:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
MGlBlaze
Redshirt

Post by MGlBlaze »

Deebles wrote:Two more problems with angelic longbows punching through tanks:
1) Arrows can punch through armour, yes, but only from a short distance. Their velocity tails off pretty sharply as they travel.
2) Serious longbowmen had quite specific training that led to oddly unbalanced physiques, with very different muscular development in the two different arms - it used to be said that "to train a good longbowman, you had to start with his grandfather". One of the main advantages of early firearms was that they required a lot less training (as in weeks, rather than years). I somehow doubt that Angels, with thousands of years since they were last at war and quite effective natural ranged abilities (trumpeting) would really bother with training seriously in the use of bows.
I'm inclined to agree, honestly. After having gone so long without warfare, I doubt many would be built to use a bow properly. Most of them would likely just stick with the trumpeting.

Also, on the armour thing; I'm not too sure, but I think arrows designed to 'punch through' armour, specifically chainmail, were just very thin arrowheads meant to slip in between the links, not break the mail itself. I'm not so sure about penetrating plate armour, but either way I don't think those arrows are making it through modern tank armour. Lighter stuff maybe, but engagement range strikes me as another big problem if they do use bows. I could be talking out my ass, though.

Something else; this thread seems to have gotten pretty huge.
Chamale
Redshirt

Post by Chamale »

Bodkin-point arrows weren't specifically designed to punch through armour, but could go through most types of chain-link. As MGIBlaze said, these arrows relied on sneaking through holes in chainmail, rather than penetrative power. Medieval armies could use huge volleys of arrows, but going through armour was not their primary objective - medieval archers targeted the groups of unarmoured peasants and the less well-armoured men-at-arms that accompanied the well-protected knights.

Medieval platemail resisted arrows and bullets easily. Modern rifle bullets could easily penetrate this armour, while still unable to threaten tanks. If a bullet can't harm a tank, I'm sure that an angelic arrow wouldn't either. Besides, angels probably didn't bother developing sophisticated bows, considering their natural ranged attacks. Angelic bows were likely copied from medieval Earth's designs.

Edit: By the way, how many posts must I make before they stop being moderated automatically?
usagihunter101
Redshirt

Post by usagihunter101 »

Gil Hamilton wrote:So, based on Avatar, those bows and arrows should only work selectively based on whether that particular scene is dramatically trying to show the Na'vi helpless against the human war machine or triumphantly defeating the humans (as witnessed by one one scene the arrows bouncing uselessly off the cockpits of the human vessels but later going straight through them)?
At risk of going a bit off-topic, but the smurfs were using gravity and the diving velocity of their banshees to assist them when they were going through windshields during the later battle.

That being said, bows that size could be scary if the angels were pushed into a guerilla conflict, mainly because you have an almost silent weapon that can feasibly fire through light vehicle armor. It would be even scarier if they were able to adapt modern compound bow designs to their size.

'Course, in able to prevent themselves from being killed almost immediately, the angel in question would need to ditch that whole pride thing, and learn to fire only a few arrows and flee, a concept which angels may or may not be able to accept.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, the Angels are so not going to ditch their pride. True, a bow would be powerful, but the average Angel jsut doesn't have access to the techniques that made the English Longbow so deadly, IE how to make it and a supply of strong arrows that will be needed. That's not even counting a major flaw in using bows: the HEA is centered around armored vehicles, which aren't known for being vulnerable to arrows.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

It also just occurred to me: maybe the angels can "charge" their arrows in the same manner as they charge their melee weapons. I still can't see them penetrating (or even seriously threatening to penetrate) modern armoured vehicles, but they might be a little more effective than just normal materials.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

SCRawl wrote:Doesn't that imply that the angels will have materials from which to manufacture their bows that will take full advantage of their superior strength? As far as we know they're still basically at bronze age technology -- centuries before something as advanced as the Welsh longbow, never mind a modern example.
I'd expect them to; extremely strong timber would help to explain their massive buildings, and it would be of a piece with there other improbably high-grade natural materials (like whatever Wuffles uses for muscle tissue).
Chamale wrote:Medieval platemail resisted arrows and bullets easily. Modern rifle bullets could easily penetrate this armour, while still unable to threaten tanks. If a bullet can't harm a tank, I'm sure that an angelic arrow wouldn't either. Besides, angels probably didn't bother developing sophisticated bows, considering their natural ranged attacks.
A tank, absolutely not. A light armored vehicle... it's remotely possible, but extremely unlikely.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
SilverHawk
Youngling

Post by SilverHawk »

I hope they resist, because then we can use those B-1s, B-52s and Tu-160s for one thing. Arc Light raids. Hells yes.
If you are going through Hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill
Michelangelo is a Party Dude!

But see, we invite him over for dinner and then he goes, "I stole your Nuclear Secrets." Then nobody feels like having apple pie. - Myself, on Joseph Stalin
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Hey, don't forget the AC-130s! Plus, I get the feeling that the Angels are going to really learn why it's ill-advised to provoke humanity, and not be technologocially superior to them.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
darksoul
Padawan Learner

Post by darksoul »

Night_stalker wrote:Hey, don't forget the AC-130s! Plus, I get the feeling that the Angels are going to really learn why it's ill-advised to provoke humanity, and not be technologocially superior to them.
he, not only technologically. Provoking humanity without being numerically, technologically and intelectually superior all AT ONCE it's likely to be suicide. Humans Are Special, remember? :-P
Chamale
Redshirt

Post by Chamale »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Chamale wrote:Medieval platemail resisted arrows and bullets easily. Modern rifle bullets could easily penetrate this armour, while still unable to threaten tanks. If a bullet can't harm a tank, I'm sure that an angelic arrow wouldn't either. Besides, angels probably didn't bother developing sophisticated bows, considering their natural ranged attacks.
A tank, absolutely not. A light armored vehicle... it's remotely possible, but extremely unlikely.
I think any vehicle light enough to be harmed by angelic arrows could also be harmed more by trumpeting. I'm not sure about what percentage of angels can trumpet, but I get the impression that any angels who could wield Na'vi-type giant bows would be better suited for trumpeting.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Night_stalker wrote:Yeah, the Angels are so not going to ditch their pride. True, a bow would be powerful, but the average Angel jsut doesn't have access to the techniques that made the English Longbow so deadly, IE how to make it and a supply of strong arrows that will be needed
English longbow is actually a super simple design (tapered D-shaped cross section) that exploited the properties of yew wood (yew sapwood is strong in tension and yew heartwood is strong in compression) to gain the benefits of laminated wood without going through the trouble of actually laminating.

You can also make a comparably powerful bow fairly easily by tapering a hardwood board in only one dimension (rectangular cross-section with fixed thickness by shrinking width) but it's a very inefficient use of material compared to the D shape.

The really complex bows were the oriental composite horsebows, but since the angels don't need to worry about being able to shoot while riding a horse, there wouldn't be any need to attempt making anything so involved.

[not that having cool bows would actually help the angels at all in this scenario]
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Chamale wrote:I think any vehicle light enough to be harmed by angelic arrows could also be harmed more by trumpeting. I'm not sure about what percentage of angels can trumpet, but I get the impression that any angels who could wield Na'vi-type giant bows would be better suited for trumpeting.
True. If trumpeting rocked a tank, it should be a serious problem for lighter armor, especially from the sides.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Prezo
Redshirt

Post by Prezo »

on the charging their arrows one would assume that for that the arrow would need to be at least coated if not completley made out of a conductive material, making an arrow out of iron/steel is prety much out of the question for the angels so they would have to be using copper or bronse which would be prety terrible for pearcing any sort of armor.

and while trumpeting would be a problem its kinda noisy so if it was to be used instead of a bow (which we have already asserted would only be realy usefull in guerilla tactics) so while deadly it would be almost suicide if you were waiting in ambush.
Erra
Youngling

Post by Erra »

I'd have to imagine that the bigger angels (higher ranks) are much less numerous than their smaller (lower ranked) brethern. So the ones capable of blowing up light armored vehicles with trumpetting and wielding giant na'vi bows are going to be few and far between. And, generally speaking, since they're large and looking like they're in charge, they're the first ones to be blown up anyway, so its all kind of moot.

Not that it matters once SOMEONE decapitates Yahweh and takes over. I suppose having the bigger angels gone would make it easier for a top-down takeover to succeed. I can suddenly imagine the angelic host splintering into many groups once someone kills Yahweh like the Christian church did whenever its leadership changed hands.
Pants?
impatrick4life
Youngling

Post by impatrick4life »

You know, some guy here mentioned the AC-130... I must admit, it would be nice for Stuart to throw in a pop-culture nod to The A-Team and have an AC blow up Yahweh, and maybe transmit video footage of it to the White House and have B.O. remark how "it looks just like Call of Duty."

Too bad it's awful dangerous to fly an AC around with the angels and whatnot, but, I wish it was possible.
ARGUMENT FROM GUITAR MASTERY OF THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
(1) Eric Clapton is God.
(2) Therefore, God exists.