Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Peptuck »

Dude...why the hell did you send out a laser-equipped interceptor after a large UFO?

Avalanche missiles outrange the weaponry on those things!

Why do you even use las-interceptors at all?
Because.
Karza wrote: But still, laser cannons exist for bringing in cash, no sane person ever arms a craft with them.
See, that's the thing.... :mrgreen:
He's using a bit of stuff that doesn't get used that often.

And frankly, for me at least, that's the charm of this.

If he was just doing what the normal standard experienced x-com player was doing, this would be boring as hell (for me at least), especially since x-com isn't that balanced a game. Instead we get to see him using weapons and researching stuff I never bothered with, since all the strategy guides I ever read said it was useless (eg, researching the various alien species, using heavy lasers and laser cannons).

Without even knowing how much experience Peptuck has with game, for me it really feels like I'm experiencing X-Com again for the first time.
Yeah, that's pretty much the whole point. I know the perfect strategy to beat X-COM, but I'm mostly screwing around with other technologies for the fun of it. I could have had heavy plasmas and personal armor researched by the end of January if I wanted, but this is more fun for me to work my way up the tech tree and test out all the other weaponry.
Last edited by Peptuck on 2009-02-10 01:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I appear to be fully alive after Zablorg's little problem with his trigger finger. At least I hope you didn't send me out into battle twice with shrapnel wounds and internal bleeding.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vanas wrote:I appear to be fully alive after Zablorg's little problem with his trigger finger. At least I hope you didn't send me out into battle twice with shrapnel wounds and internal bleeding.
Not like the game will let you. If a soldier gets wounded, they have to wait to be healed before going back into combat. And that takes a long time.

Point in case, its taken close to a month before all of the people Zablorg shot up are finally fully healed.

Kind of annoying when your psi corps gets shot up.
Last edited by Peptuck on 2009-02-10 01:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
The Defenestrator
Youngling

Post by The Defenestrator »

Peptuck wrote: Image
Oh good, I am on the team. And only slightly misspelled. Usually people call me something like "Defense... es... guy"
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Excellent. The aliens now cannot kill more of me than I have of them. And do I interpret the AAR correctly in that I was the first human to kill a Snakeman? Another trophy for my wall. Sure, Robo-Vendetta killed more, but I am just as happy to not have had to die first.

Also, I happened to be poking around my old Photobucket files and came across this:
It was scanned from the mini-comic that was on the X-Com Collector's Edition box.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Peptuck wrote:
Karza wrote: But still, laser cannons exist for bringing in cash, no sane person ever arms a craft with them.
See, that's the thing.... :mrgreen:
So you let Dr Bear arm the interceptors? YOU MANIAC!

In other news, me and the boyz are (somehow) managing to get that blasted hyperwave decoder built - with any luck, the 2nd and later installations shouldn't be anywhere near as problematic.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Did i not just get finished telling you to get better missiles?!

This is what happens when people dont listen to me.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I personally go for twin avalanches my self, I'm crazy not stupid, however HR and accounting insist that laser armed interceptors are more efficient and cost effective,

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

What happened to the old X-Com mantra of missiles for every occasion? There is no problem that cannot be solved by missiles.
The Yosemite Bear

Vendetta wrote:What happened to the old X-Com mantra of missiles for every occasion? There is no problem that cannot be solved by missiles.
Running out of ammo?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Vendetta wrote:What happened to the old X-Com mantra of missiles for every occasion? There is no problem that cannot be solved by missiles.
Running out of ammo?
One laser cannon sale will net you enough money to supply two Avalanche-armed Interceptors for a month, easily.

The real problem is storing all those missiles.

The Yosemite Bear

BTW in the game I was playing this afternoon, the very first alien we nabbed was a navigator, which got us Hyperwaves by the end of Febuary, Now we are in april, base two has lasers, base 1 has heavy plasma, and I am running neck and neck, to develop laser/plasma cannons.

Jonen C
Youngling

Post by Jonen C »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Running out of ammo?
That is such a hilariously bad question!

The solution to that problem is MORE MISSILES!
Varje meddelande om att motståndet skall uppges är falskt. - BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

My mother taught me that it is the right of every woman to be seen, acknowledged, courted and proposed to at least once daily.
So, if you are reading this and you are a woman, will you marry me?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If you have more missiles than you have room for, go and shoot something with them to make room for more.
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

X-Com Demolition Team Motto: "All walls are just doors waiting to happen"
X-Com Pilot Corps Motto: "There only problem not solvable by missiles is a lack of missiles"
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Darth Smiley wrote:X-Com Demolition Team Motto: "All walls are just doors waiting to happen"
What are these walls you speak of?

Next thing you'll be wittering about "barns" or other such nonsense.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Vendetta wrote:
Darth Smiley wrote:X-Com Demolition Team Motto: "All walls are just doors waiting to happen"
What are these walls you speak of?

Next thing you'll be wittering about "barns" or other such nonsense.
On the battlefield, there is only the enemy and things that stand between us and the enemy, which are little better.

Working on the next update now (Damn you, Project Origin....)

The Yosemite Bear

There is no overkill, there is open fire, and damn I'm out of ammo.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Always remember:

Plan A - Direct application of explosives.

Plan B - Indirect application of explosives.
Jonen C
Youngling

Post by Jonen C »

Darth Smiley wrote:X-Com Pilot Corps Motto: "There only problem not solvable by missiles is a lack of missiles"
This motto does not make any sense.

The only way to solve the problem of a lack of missiles is MORE MISSILES!
Varje meddelande om att motståndet skall uppges är falskt. - BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD! LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

My mother taught me that it is the right of every woman to be seen, acknowledged, courted and proposed to at least once daily.
So, if you are reading this and you are a woman, will you marry me?
The Yosemite Bear

Jonen C wrote:
Darth Smiley wrote:X-Com Pilot Corps Motto: "There only problem not solvable by missiles is a lack of missiles"

obviously you've never had scouts up the waazuu trying to find your base, when the most recent shipment can't arrive before you have to kill 3 more scouts.

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Jonen C wrote:

obviously you've never had scouts up the waazuu trying to find your base, when the most recent shipment can't arrive before you have to kill 3 more scouts.
The solution to that is to have MORE MISSILES at your base.

I personally make it a point to order a fresh supply of missiles after every battle to replace expended resources.

The Defenestrator
Youngling

Post by The Defenestrator »

If it's not too late to be serious, I've been wondering lately: Almost everything I read about the game suggests that everyone always goes for arming their troops with laser rifles and/or heavy plasma. Those are really good direct-fire weapons, but I'm surprised no one seems to use plasma rifles at all. They have the best snapshot and autofire accuracy in the game, pretty good damage, and a large enough clip for almost any situation. Is it just because the aliens eventually stop using them?
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

The Defenestrator wrote:If it's not too late to be serious, I've been wondering lately: Almost everything I read about the game suggests that everyone always goes for arming their troops with laser rifles and/or heavy plasma. Those are really good direct-fire weapons, but I'm surprised no one seems to use plasma rifles at all. They have the best snapshot and autofire accuracy in the game, pretty good damage, and a large enough clip for almost any situation. Is it just because the aliens eventually stop using them?
Yep. Plasma clips require precious elerium, after all.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Eulogy wrote:
The Defenestrator wrote:If it's not too late to be serious, I've been wondering lately: Almost everything I read about the game suggests that everyone always goes for arming their troops with laser rifles and/or heavy plasma. Those are really good direct-fire weapons, but I'm surprised no one seems to use plasma rifles at all. They have the best snapshot and autofire accuracy in the game, pretty good damage, and a large enough clip for almost any situation. Is it just because the aliens eventually stop using them?
Yep. Plasma clips require precious elerium, after all.
Furthermore, the extra wallop Heavy Plasmas provide is enough to occasionally knock down inner non-security UFO walls, the normal rifle can't do that.

Then for me there's also the personal preference of firepower over accuracy :D .
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran