World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by AniThyng »

I've only ever ran out of shells using a StuG, and that is only because it has an anemic ammo capacity to start with.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote: How the hell are you firing that many shots in one match?
Sat in the back corner of Prokhrovka in a Black Prince and kept shooting.

Did over 5000 damage in a tier 7 game, only lost because I ran out of AP with a Tiger P left to kill, had I not carried 14 rounds of HE I would have easily finished him given the amount of HE shots I got off for 30-40 damage a time.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I ran one match yesterday. It appears I chose well.

http://wotreplays.com/site/396893#komar ... fs-matilda

59 rounds fired from the Matilda for 8 kills, a defender and a Pascucci's medal. I'll call that good enough, but sadly no Steel Wall.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
Zwinmar wrote:I us HE just to fill up the ammo slots, cause the notification annoys me, and HE is usually cheaper,
Just fill your loadout with AP. AP is cheap enough at low tiers that you can't possibly lose money. After all, you only pay for what you fired.

And really, don't carry HE. I have actually lost matches when I used to carry as many as 10 HE out of 70 shells because I ran out of AP.

HE: Just Say No.

How the hell are you firing that many shots in one match? I usually carry 5 or 10 prem rounds and 5 or 10 HE, I haven't run out of ammo since I was using the SU-5, which only carried 14 shots total.
I've run out of shells in only two tanks. Once in the M41, once in the M10 armed with the top 76mm.

Both matches I got Fadin's medal.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I can't think of a time I've run out of ammo.

I've gotten fairly low in the ST-1 with the stock turret+BL-9...but that's because it didn't have much ammo to begin with.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The Type 59 runs out of ammo prety often.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Finally, after long years of work, I have the 120mm on the Conqueror! No more puny 230 damage pea shooting for me!
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Vendetta wrote:Finally, after long years of work, I have the 120mm on the Conqueror! No more puny 230 damage pea shooting for me!
Good job! How does it compare to the 120mm gun on the M103?

PS:
I need 3 million silver to get the E-75. I tried it on the test server, and the stock version isn't too bad. I have the option to sell either one of my tier 10 tanks to get it - the object 268 or the T110E5. Which one should get the ax?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Both are fantastic tanks and I wouldn't sell either one of them, just build cash for the E-75 the old fashioned way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If you need a credit farmer, the FCM 50t is doing me proud.

It's basically the only premium credit farmer you can buy that actually plays like a medium, it's fast, the gun's snappy with good pen, so it's easy to rack up tons of damage, and the ammo's cheap as chips.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

krakonfour wrote: Good job! How does it compare to the 120mm gun on the M103?
More accurate, faster aimtime, faster reload, and Conqueror has significantly lower hull movement dispersion (.12 instead of .2, one of the lowest in the game).

However, Conqueror is a high tier British heavy, and that means no armour so you need to maximise the benefits of that gun to disallow enemies shots back at you.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Vendetta wrote:
More accurate, faster aimtime, faster reload, and Conqueror has significantly lower hull movement dispersion (.12 instead of .2, one of the lowest in the game).

However, Conqueror is a high tier British heavy, and that means no armour so you need to maximise the benefits of that gun to disallow enemies shots back at you.
It's not like the M103 has any armor either... and sadly, once I tried the T110E5, I realized that even the tier 10 heavy does not have reliable armor.
Both of them only have the 'lip' between the upper and lower front plates, and the mantlet... but of course everyone goes for the huge copulas when you try and go hull-down.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Ironically on the Conqueror you hope people are dumb enough to shoot at your cupola, because it's one of the strongest bits of the tank thanks to its extreme slope. The actual turret's not very thick though, so you can't risk staying exposed like the beefily turreted US heavies, it's very much about retreating down a ridge between shots, which is where the epic gun handling comes in, minimising settle time from movement.

That's also why the 20pdr is really bad for the tank, because you have to expose so often due to it's 10r/m but puny damage.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

If you're using the 20pdr on the Conq, you really should be using the Caern/Centurion turret which has the luxury of armour. The big turret really should ony be used for the main gun.

When it is fully loaded though, the Conquerer is an devastating glass cannon that bats really quite nasty shells down range on a regular basis.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Sand River 10/24/2013 5:48:31 PM
Vehicle: ST-I
Experience received: 931
Credits received: 32,786
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Spartan, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Dat Turret.

Is this what it feels like to play a high-tier American heavy? I don't think I've ever bounced that many (20) shots from my turret before. And the gun depression...that gun depression. I think this is a keeper (even if that means a LOT of grinding to get the IS-4's money).
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT: And that's without the top gun. I can only imagine the damage I can do with that monster.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

krakonfour wrote:
Vendetta wrote:

It's not like the M103 has any armor either... and sadly, once I tried the T110E5, I realized that even the tier 10 heavy does not have reliable armor.
Both of them only have the 'lip' between the upper and lower front plates, and the mantlet... but of course everyone goes for the huge copulas when you try and go hull-down.
The E5 generates enough incidental bounces off that cupola it's not too terrible, and hate to break it to you but staying still unnecessarily at tier ten is usually a mistake. Staying hull-down is a way of reducing threats to you, not a way to sit still indefinitely and be invincible.

Trust me, the E5 generates plenty of bounces if you drive it well, and that's in clan wars in the face of gold that they're still bouncing off the lip, the upper glacis and turret front. The armor of the E5 is a lot of why it was clan wars for so long.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

this may be a case where it does BETTER against gold than regular AP, because of the lack of normalization for the gold rounds.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Neat, I bought the World of Tanks: Rush cardgame and there's an online code for a free garage slot with a Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) premium tank.

Too bad I mostly play War Thunder nowadays
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Really starting to like the StugIII, had this defeat in it. 5 kills is good enough for me.
Defeat!, StuG III, Ruinberg, 10/26/13 12:04 AM: 800 nXP, 1,039 dmg

Sneaking up on a Tiger and setting him on fire :D Didn't get that kill though.
Victory!, KV-1S, Siegfried Line, 10/26/13 1:25 AM: 1,374 nXP, 1,651 dmg
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Defeat
Battle: Ensk 10/25/2013 8:16:37 PM
Vehicle: ST-I
Experience received: 829
Credits received: 30,817
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Master Gunner

All I can say is...that was a defeat. That would have been my best battle (in XP) ever if my team had pulled together and won the match.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

You got the winning team bonus XP because you had sniper (courageous resistance); you would have had a bit more from the extra damage your team did if you won, but not a huge amount more, unless it was a blowout and you were the only one doing damage.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Courageous Resistance is one of the nicest recent additions.

They may, however, take it off of Sniper at some point, because that's a bit too easy to get without actually having a solid impact on the game (and thus not resisting terribly courageously), whereas if you got something like Patrol Duty, Defender, or Top Gun you were at least trying somewhat harder than average for your team.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wait, how does Courageous Resistance work again?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Simon_Jester wrote:Wait, how does Courageous Resistance work again?
If Defeat
If Heroic Medal (Sniper, Steel wall, confederate ect)
Then Reward = Winner's reward

Essentially, you get the 45% winner's bonus in xp and creds.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art