Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by Temjin »

Peptuck wrote:If you survive long enough for us to get a psi-lab, you'll be transferred.
Forget it, It's fine. Thinking about it, I prefer to be a common soldier.

Besides, it amuses me to think about what I must have done during that interview for that to happen. My current bet is I must have mistaken Mr. Interviewer with a woman.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Temjin wrote:My current bet is I must have mistaken Mr. Interviewer with a woman.
See, that's why Weemadando wouldn't wear the personal armour.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Erik von Nein wrote:Oooh, hey, if there's another interceptor free up can I be a pilot?
No the next interceptor they get will have me installed as the flight system like that plane from Stealth
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

phred wrote:
Erik von Nein wrote:Oooh, hey, if there's another interceptor free up can I be a pilot?
No the next interceptor they get will have me installed as the flight system like that plane from Stealth
We've got hangars under contrustion at both of our small bases, so we can do both.
A big increase in compression would be appreciated. No reason for these to be more than like 200kb each.
My skills and understanding of image manipulation are, on a scale of "total moron" to "face-meltingly awesome," roughly around "lulz." The GIMP has a lot of buttons and words, and every single one of them terrifies me, so I have no idea how to compress an image file.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

I got the mental image of GIR being hooked into said Stealth plane. That would make for some interesting encounters with the alien UFOs.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

The base better stock up on tacos.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Half Life will be fine, although I don't know if the Heavy Weapons Guys can identify with a beardy weakling. How about Duke Nukem 3D? That's more in the spirit for Heavy Weapons Guys anyway.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Peptuck wrote:Yeah, 56k users (like me) may start to cry.

On the other hand, the .bmps I've been using with Paint take forever and a day to upload to Photobucket. The update prior to this one took somewhere along the lines of three hours.
Peptuck wrote:My skills and understanding of image manipulation are, on a scale of "total moron" to "face-meltingly awesome," roughly around "lulz." The GIMP has a lot of buttons and words, and every single one of them terrifies me, so I have no idea how to compress an image file.
AFAIK, Paint lets you create .png files at a reasonable compression, simply by using the "Save as..." option.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Peptuck wrote:
phred wrote:
We've got hangars under contrustion at both of our small bases, so we can do both.
A big increase in compression would be appreciated. No reason for these to be more than like 200kb each.
My skills and understanding of image manipulation are, on a scale of "total moron" to "face-meltingly awesome," roughly around "lulz." The GIMP has a lot of buttons and words, and every single one of them terrifies me, so I have no idea how to compress an image file.
What version of GIMP are you using, and on what OS? I'll gladly write up some instructions when I get home, for the greater glory of alien-exploding.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

erik_t wrote:What version of GIMP are you using, and on what OS? I'll gladly write up some instructions when I get home, for the greater glory of alien-exploding.
Windows and GIMP 2.6. Any help would be appreciated.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Quick update.

Early May saw the completion of our first Hyperwave Decoder. A second is under construction at Vodkaville.

A UFO was detected by Vodkaville's radar, but tracking was lost before PeZook could nail it.

Another UFO was picked up over the United States by Perseus. As that base lacks any interceptors, we dispatched Coalition and PeZook to hunt it down. It was finally brought down somewhere over Asia by Coalition.

Joining us for our next assault was a long-missed but extremely welcome soldier.

Robo-Haven was rebuilt using alien alloys and cybernetic equipment, and was the first soldier to go into the field using the new personal armor, alongside our ranking officers. The process apparently turned him black and female, which is of course perfectly normal for X-COM.

The assault and clear was standard fare. We dealt with the usual Floaters, and numerous farm buildings were present to provide the floaters with cover.

X-COM suppressed these targets. Haven, Rekkon, and Hawkwings did an excellent job blowing up these defenseless farm buildings.

The squads stacked up outside the UFO to prepare to breach.

However, as the squad entered, they were caught in another crossfire by floaters waiting at opposite sides of the corridors inside the small scout. We lost Zinxinius and Faabio. The subsequent prosecution of the aliens was harsh.

Once the clearing was finished, we returned to base, only to have Doctor Surlethe supply us with more excellent news.

With the completion of studies into alien power sources, we could begin the next stage of The Master Plan.

Manly tears were cried.

We have noted increased UFO activity in southern Africa. Plans are being considered to deploy either a listening post or regular aircraft patrols to the area.

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

X-COM suppressed these targets. Haven, Rekkon, and Hawkwings did an excellent job blowing up these defenseless farm buildings.
They want you to think they are defenceless.

Barns are the true menace behind this invasion.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yesss, more aliens for me to "Converse" with, pity that the other subjects keep trying to escape and are shot, or commit scuicide....

at least that's the story we are telling those reporters and those pesky liberal reporters...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Yosemite Bear wrote: at least that's the story we are telling those reporters and those pesky liberal reporters...
There are reporters entering our bases? I thought Security was under explicit orders to beat, teabag, wedgie, and swirly any reporter trying to gain entry!

Whoever is responsible for this grave breach in security will be testing the plasma weapons firsthand.

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

My just completed Alien Base assault resulted in the capture of a Sectoid commander and the total annihilation of remaining xeno scum via liberal use of Blaster Bombs. Gotta love the smell of crispy xenos at dawn... :D
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Awww yeah bitches. Now I'm female, which means that when application of firepower causes beard growth you can worry Also: Commander Zablorg? Fuck that, time for some friendly fire. You shoulda saved my ass last time, you ultra-pectoraled fuck.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

AMX wrote:AFAIK, Paint lets you create .png files at a reasonable compression, simply by using the "Save as..." option.
yeah I've converted a lot of old screenshots and other things to jpegs this way. It makes storing and emailing them simpler.
Erik von Nein wrote:I got the mental image of GIR being hooked into said Stealth plane. That would make for some interesting encounters with the alien UFOs.
:lol: Would have made the movie a lot more interesting

Edit: Grammar and punctuation
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

phred wrote:
AMX wrote:AFAIK, Paint lets you create .png files at a reasonable compression, simply by using the "Save as..." option.
yeah I've converted a lot of old screenshots and other things to jpegs this way. It makes storing and emailing them simpler.
Yeah, I figured out how to save the images as JPEGs in Paint. Makes uploading a whole lot easier.

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Ultra-speedy update.

As May progressed, we dropped another UFO over Africa, with the kill going to Coalition. Assault and clear was standard fare. Took on Sectiods, which was a nice change. Our only casualty was our tank, and a replacement order was immediately issued.

As May progressed, things were quiet. Relatively peaceful. Almost serene. We were getting very close to finishing research on the Power Suits. Things were looking up, and we

OHJESUSSHITFUCKSHITBITCHFUCKSHITFUCKFUUUUU

FUCKSHITFUCKOHDAMMMITFUCKINGSHITASSFUUUUUUUUCK

Terror mission. Nighttime. Snakemen. No tanks. Lasers only. FINAL DESTINATON.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Just wait. It IS a long time, but it's likely it'll last into the next day and you'll be able to loiter your skyranger next to Berlin and land in the morning.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Stark wrote:Just wait. It IS a long time, but it's likely it'll last into the next day and you'll be able to loiter your skyranger next to Berlin and land in the morning.
That would be the logical thing to do.

But this is X-COM.

Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Stark wrote:Y'know you'll all die, right? Just making sure.

The Defenestrator
Youngling

Post by The Defenestrator »

Yikes. Do we at least have enough incendiaries to set the entire map on fire?

Oh, I just noticed it's my birthday. Yay?
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Defenestrator wrote: Oh, I just noticed it's my birthday. Yay?
:twisted: