The Tragedy of War As An End In Itself

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Coyote wrote:Uhh.. we can already win this fight.
Uhh, he's not talking about this fight. He's talking about some bizzare kind of containment involving selling Saddam second-line US equipment.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

0.1 wrote:
Plus, what are you going to do once he stockpiles all the weapons he buys and decides to start taking over the middle east? Rap him on the knuckles and say 'bad boy'?
No, it's simple, you make a deal with him, since America is the supplier, it'll always be in the superior position. So he'd have: F-15s, F-16s, M1A1s. The Americans would have F-22s, JSFsl, M1A2s.. point: don't pick a fight you can't win.
You are one cold hearted SOB...
Uh huh, Josef's little phrase: "disease is the gratitude of dogs" points to the fact that in the end, you are looking out for #1 first, foremost, and only. And there is NOTHING wrong with enlightened self-interest. The world would understand that at least as it would fall in line with what other countries would do to gain influence, power and money.

Besides, people don't want to be policed, and Americans aren't been asked by everyone else to do it. Ask any of the anti-war people here, and they will tell you that no one is asking the U.S. to be the world's cop, and it ain't America's job.
Ah, yes, there is nothing wrong with enlightened self interest, but supplying him with material to carry on a war against anyone he pleases, especially after his militaristic position on the US and our allies in the middle east?

And I also find it somewhat disturbing that you use quotes from the man who killed more people than anyone in history because they didn't agree with him to reinforce your points. If anything, it just makes you look more and more like a cold hearted SOB.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

I got to looking, and the more I see, the more 0.1 looks like a troll...
Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

Coyote wrote: Why didn't America step in back then? I dunno. The world changes; interests and policies and expectations change. Now Saddam has nukes, missiles that can threaten the neighbors, and signed a treaty specifically stating that he woudl disarm him WMDs.
It could also be that Iraq now has the capability to take out Israel, a big investment priority for the US.
BANNED

Post by 0.1 »

You mean if a “few wars break out” on their terms rather than our own? No. Fighting when they set the timetable and choose the location will be a far more costly affair even with United Nations assistance.
The counter point is, there is NOT one single country in the world that would consider directly attacking the U.S. If they attack someone else, well, as long as American economic interests aren't threatened in the long run, then it's ok.
Ah, yes, there is nothing wrong with enlightened self interest, but supplying him with material to carry on a war against anyone he pleases, especially after his militaristic position on the US and our allies in the middle east?
Geopolitical reality, enemies can be friends. Think Japan and Germany, heck, if America switched position in the middle of WWII, do you think ole Adolf would've refused? So, make a deal with Saddam.

And don't misunderstand the concept of using a quote that is very much pointing to human nature. If that makes me a cold hearted SOB, well, I haven't denied it, have I?

By the way, Enlightenment, I am not talking about containment. The U.S. shouldn't care about that, why contain him? Where is the profit in that?
Last edited by 0.1 on 2003-03-09 12:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Yes, another thing.

Israel.

Our strongest ally in the middle east, and one of the few we can truly count on to help us if need be in the middle east. Plus, they are a military powerhouse in the entire region, and could most likely take on any middle eastern country single handedly, if it wasn't for their small size.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

0.1 wrote:Geopolitical reality, enemies can be friends. Think Japan and Germany, heck, if America switched position in the middle of WWII, do you think ole Adolf would've refused? So, make a deal with Saddam.

And don't misunderstand the concept of using a quote that is very much pointing to human nature. If that makes me a cold hearted SOB, well, I haven't denied it, have I?
Yeah...

I am sure that Saddam would just up and take us in. Seeing that he killed his brother-in-law among other family members to keep his regime secure, I cannot see him just accepting us just like that. This is a mad man we are talking about. He does not think rationally.

Plus, he has alot of the Iraqi public thinking that they won the gulf war. You think he is just going to fess up to his people that they lost the war?
BANNED

Post by 0.1 »

Plus, he has alot of the Iraqi public thinking that they won the gulf war. You think he is just going to fess up to his people that they lost the war?
Sounds like a problem wounded pride to me. So what, he tells his people they won. Big deal, do you think anybody likes to tell people that they are losers?

Simple analogy:

Let's say you kicked someone's teeth in, and everyone knew it. And the guy who got beat up says that he won the fight, and kept yammering about it. Do you think it really matters?
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

That analogy is a bit off, 0.1. There is a difference between telling your buddies you won a fight when you didn't and a despotic ruler telling his people he won a war in which he lost horribly.

And, if his pride is so wounded, do you think that he would go into an alliance with the people that did the wounding? No.
BANNED

Post by 0.1 »

Not talkinga bout Saddam's pride. Sound like wounded pride for the Americans because they worry so damn much about what some nobody is lying to his own people
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

0.1 wrote:Not talkinga bout Saddam's pride. Sound like wounded pride for the Americans because they worry so damn much about what some nobody is lying to his own people
What the heck?

Not really that worried about it, other than we think it is stupid.

And how would we have wounded pride? We beat the crap out of him and the world knows it...
Hamel
Sith Marauder

Post by Hamel »

NF_Utvol wrote:I got to looking, and the more I see, the more 0.1 looks like a troll...
:roll:
"Right now we can tell you a report was filed by the family of a 12 year old boy yesterday afternoon alleging Mr. Michael Jackson of criminal activity. A search warrant has been filed and that search is currently taking place. Mr. Jackson has not been charged with any crime. We cannot specifically address the content of the police report as it is confidential information at the present time, however, we can confirm that Mr. Jackson forced the boy to listen to the Howard Stern show and watch the movie Private Parts over and over again."
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Don't you think that's silly though? Why would any country want to be the world's policemen... there isn't really anything in it for them. Not like the world is paying money directly to us for the services of being the world's cop.
We are “the world’s cop” – but only where conducive to American interests. It’s an unfair stereotype, really. One might better describe us as equally self-interested and yet inherently more capable than all others out there.
The counter point is, there is NOT one single country in the world that would consider directly attacking the U.S. If they attack someone else, well, as long as American economic interests aren't threatened in the long run, then it's ok.
Nobody will launch a direct attack. As far as indirect attacks go? I give you Afghanistan.

If Hussein attacks any other party in the vicinity or continues to fund Palestinian terror directly, he remains a threat to American interests and must be countered.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Hameru wrote:
NF_Utvol wrote:I got to looking, and the more I see, the more 0.1 looks like a troll...
:roll:
WTF? Screaming that we ought to give weapons to Saddam? Making irrational arguments?

Just looking like a troll to me. Might not be, but that is what I am seeing.
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

jegs2 wrote:
Ted wrote:
jegs2 wrote:Yes, ware is terrible, but at times it is also necessary.
Is it necessary now though?

I have seen or heard no evidence that it is.
The removal of Saddam's regime is necessary. Currently, an invasion is the recommended course of action IOT meet that objective. Do you know of a viable alternative that would accomplish that objective?
I must have said that 40 times in the last week.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Enforcer Talen wrote:
jegs2 wrote:
Ted wrote: Is it necessary now though?

I have seen or heard no evidence that it is.
The removal of Saddam's regime is necessary. Currently, an invasion is the recommended course of action IOT meet that objective. Do you know of a viable alternative that would accomplish that objective?
I must have said that 40 times in the last week.
But do the majority (I say the majority, not all) of anti-war protestors listen to reason?
Enforcer Talen
Warlock

Post by Enforcer Talen »

not usually, no.
This day is Fantastic!
Myers Briggs: ENTJ
Political Compass: -3/-6
DOOMer WoW
"I really hate it when the guy you were pegging as Mr. Worst Case starts saying, "Oh, I was wrong, it's going to be much worse." " - Adrian Laguna