Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Defenestrator
Youngling

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by The Defenestrator »

Damn, killed on my very first mission. Is there even enough of me left to make a robo-soldier out of?
Defenstrator managed a single scream of terror as his/her laser beams bounced harmlessly off the grinning rape-monster's hide, before it closed in.
This would never have happened if I had a plasma rifle.
:| Have a day.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
To blithely compare toner ink to Red Bull in such a fashion sickens me.
-Eleas
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Defenestrator wrote:Damn, killed on my very first mission. Is there even enough of me left to make a robo-soldier out of?

You'd done a couple of missions before, mostly just assault-and-clear of scout UFOs.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Oh, btw, we now have an Interceptor for our base in Texas. Any volunteers?

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Peptuck wrote:Oh, btw, we now have an Interceptor for our base in Texas. Any volunteers?
>AFFIRMATIVE

>THE MINISCULE AND COWARDLY XENOMORPHS WILL BE DESTROYED

>THE CONTRAST BETWEEN THEIR POWER AND MINE IS HIGH
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Well, I guess I'll join to replace the dead guys heroes dead guys.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

I come in hoping to mindfuck aliens, and instead got plain ol' fucked. :cry:

How's the meat shop cloning lab coming along? I require grey matter if my grey will matter! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Eulogy on 2009-02-20 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Here's a dumb question, but why didn't we target the gas station as soon as we saw the but raping alien in its vicinity?

Big boom happens, hopefully alien dies...and if not, well its probably injured and has less cover to use!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Chris OFarrell wrote:Here's a dumb question, but why didn't we target the gas station as soon as we saw the but raping alien in its vicinity?

Big boom happens, hopefully alien dies...and if not, well its probably injured and has less cover to use!
We had people next to the gas station too. The chryssalid was approching from the south, and by the time it was close enough to the pumps to shoot the pumps, it had face-raped everyone who had a line of fire on the pumps.

That and gas station explosions aren't guaranteed to kill Chryssalids. Fuckers are built like tanks. They're about as tough as cyberdiscs to kill.
Last edited by Peptuck on 2009-02-20 10:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

I think you just forgot Standing Order # 1.

BLOW IT UP!!!!!!!!!

If we don't have enough rockets to level every building, we have to improvise!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Too bad we hadn't yet developed flying suits...

It's funny overwatching crysalids with stun guns, while hovering over them.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I do believe Base Commander Wong needs to answer to The Auditors for his criminal lack of sufficient high-ex and incendiary to turn Berlin into the next Dresden.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Yeah, um... sorry I couldn't go on that mission with you guys, but... um... I was sick. *cough*

But don't worry, it seems to be mysteriously going away now that the skyranger has returned, so I'll be okay!

Um.... *cough*
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Post by Eulogy »

When I resurrect as a horrifying yet badass monster get my body and most of my brain back I'm dragging you with me! :twisted:
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Holy smokes. I'm a little surprised that the mission was actually completed. Half a cheer (that's all the survivors can muster) to Peptuck for winning kinda a little.
Darth Smiley
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Smiley »

In Soviet Russia, Friendly Fires YOU!

My first mission has to be a goddamn Snakeman Terror mission.
I demand cyborgized vengeance - once you research blaster bombs, or course.
The enemy's gate is down - Ender Wiggin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Defenestrator
Youngling

Peptuck wrote:You'd done a couple of missions before, mostly just assault-and-clear of scout UFOs.
There was even a big "Squaddie" icon next to my name in one of the pictures and I didn't notice.

The world won't grind to a halt for want of CMYK. It's not a precious fluid, and you don't need much of it compared to some of the examples given.
-Eleas
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I must be uncharacteristically lucky. The first time I encountered a Chryssalid I turned it into goo on the same turn. Mind you, I had to use my entire fucking squad to do that...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

White Haven wrote:I do believe Base Commander Wong needs to answer to The Auditors for his criminal lack of sufficient high-ex and incendiary to turn Berlin into the next Dresden.
This issue has been taken into account.

We are much, much better prepared now.
Yeah, um... sorry I couldn't go on that mission with you guys, but... um... I was sick. *cough*
You actually were wounded in a previous mission, so you had an out.

Final update for tonight coming in a bit.

The Yosemite Bear

They invaded our base with Crysalids and Mutons, and Snakemen, we all got killed....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Apparently, the aliens either pitied us or they decided to get stoned for two weeks straight.

The rest of May was almost entirely uneventful, which was a mercy, as we rushed to get research, construction, resupply, and recruitment finished. An influx of fresh troops (human and cyborg) was brought in, alongside a massively expanded science staff. Several critical research items were completed.

Chief Engineer Fnord reports that the new power suits will offer much greater protection to our soldiers, at the cost of elerium to power the suits. Because of the elerium cost of manufacturing power suits, we will be restricting their use to only experienced soldiers and cyborgs. Regular infantrymen will have to wear standard light armor or personal armor.

Doctor Surlethe also reported completion of studies of the aliens' operating systems and navigation. With this, we can begin studies on constructing our own elerium-powered aircraft.

Doctor Bear's work in breaking the alien prisoners has yielded valuable results. We now know that the aliens are operating from a base within our solar system, judging by the lack of anything resembling a faster-than-light drive on any vessel we have recovered. The aliens confirm that they are operating from a world within our system, thought he rank-and-file we have taken thus far don't seem to know which one. They are either stupid or deliberately kept ignorant. We will need an alien of command rank to learn more.

Sundry improvements were made: an interceptor was deployed to Perseus, finally giving us an edge in the Western Hemisphere. The hyperwave decoder at Vodkaville has been completed, as well. Welcome To Earf is next on the list for this upgrade.

May remained quiet. Only a few small scout UFOs were detected, and they were dealt with to the point where only scattered debris remained.

Note: ohgodohgodohgodmutonsmommyhelpIdon'thaveanypsiyet

Two large UFOs were detected in the Southern Hemisphere, but we were unable to track them down and disable them.

Then, at the end of May....

This time, however, we're ready.

Bring it, xenos bitches.

The Defenestrator
Youngling

Peptuck wrote:[bringing AC-HE and lasers to a terror mission]
If these turn out to be Mutons, we're in trouble.

-Eleas
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

The Defenestrator wrote:
Mutons have no gentials.

Therefore, humans are superior.

The Yosemite Bear

Peptuck wrote:
The Defenestrator wrote:
Mutons have no gentials.

Therefore, humans are superior.

That just means that we can't shoot them in the groin with our Fallout 1 technology.

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

The Post Mission Analysis was correct.

CXCOMLL (Centre for X-COM Lessons Learned) posits this advice:

NEEDZ MOAR 'SPLOSIVIONS!

edit - Also, I need myself a cyborg body, a power-suit a BIG gun and one shitload of ammo.