Serenity (Firefly Movie) Trailer Now On-line [SPOILERS]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

McC wrote:Blue Sun was conjectural spoilers actually the company behind River's transformation. I tend to think that a corporate-driven entity like the Alliance would have something like that going on. I also think that the "important people" who came to pick up River and Simon in Ariel were Blue Sun representatives (two by two, hands of blue). As mentioned, there were often Blue Sun posters and Jayne had a Blue Sun shirt.

yeah I think someone said "Red suited him better"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:yeah I think someone said "Red suited him better"
Specifically, when Jayne was wearing his Blue Sun shirt, River slashed him and then said, "He looks better in red!"

Things add up, do they not? ;)
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Il Saggiatore
Padawan Learner

Post by Il Saggiatore »

RedImperator wrote: Book was definitely somebody, and most likely somebody Alliance. He couldn't have been a public figure of any kind, because there'd be no way he could expect to keep his identity a secret. Remember, not even the commander of Magellan knew who he was on sight--it wasn't until he scanned Book's identcard that he realized he was important. And he still might not have known who Book was--the card might just have said, "Give this man special treatment, by order of the President of the Alliance", or somesuch thing.
Maybe he has relatives in high places.
RedImperator wrote: There's no evidence at all he knows anything about the psychic program. It's hard to believe a man who was unwilling to use lethal force against gangsters who had captured and were in the process of torturing Mal would know about a program in which children are subjected to horrible experiments and not say or do anything about it.
Yes, there is no actual evidence.
By the way, do you remember Jayne's line: "How would a preacher know Siska?" (Book admitted that he knew the gangster's reputation)?
RedImperator wrote: Furthermore, this is a program so secret that the Blue Hands Men killed at least half a dozen Alliance marshalls, including one officer, simply because they'd talked to her and Simon while they were in custody. Would they let someone who knew anything about the program just walk away and join the priesthood? And if not, why wasn't Book as wanted as River and Simon?
Actually this makes sense.

"This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me!" - Bender (Futurama)

"Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?" - Hobbes (Calvin and Hobbes)

"It's all about context!" - Vince Noir (The Mighty Boosh)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

That's Niska, not Siska.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:That's Niska, not Siska.
As we all know, "Siska" is the female equivalent of Deep Space 9's "Sisko." ;)
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Red, Book shot that guy in the leg casually from the hip, incidentally putting to utter shame all other firearms skill seen in Firefly. At that level of ability, shooting a leg is just as practical as shooting the chest, at least at point-blank range.

There's really only two possibilities. One, he's someone the Alliance wants to keep alive. Two, he has good enough fake ID that he can easily fool the Alliance into thinking that they want to keep him alive. His skill set and knowledge argues against him just being some rich guys relative, although its possible that he's somebody's nephew who just happens to have in-depth grunt level special forces and law enforcement experience.

As for reading people's minds, I just go by the words, inflection and body language, just like any amateur second-guesser. :)
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

consequences wrote:Red, Book shot that guy in the leg casually from the hip, incidentally putting to utter shame all other firearms skill seen in Firefly. At that level of ability, shooting a leg is just as practical as shooting the chest, at least at point-blank range.
The hell it is. He might be an excellent shot, but it's still easier for him to connect with a chest shot. Not to mention, leaving them alive means they can still shoot. There's no practical reason to shoot to wound.
There's really only two possibilities. One, he's someone the Alliance wants to keep alive. Two, he has good enough fake ID that he can easily fool the Alliance into thinking that they want to keep him alive. His skill set and knowledge argues against him just being some rich guys relative, although its possible that he's somebody's nephew who just happens to have in-depth grunt level special forces and law enforcement experience.
I'm not doubting that he's more than someone's nephew. I'm contesting the leap from "He's more than what he seems" to "He's a spy tracking River".
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues