World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:
The plural of Maus is Mäuse.

Mice
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So...it would appear I have finally hit Peak Exp.

The marginal costs of gaining a certain % of experience necessary to move up a tier have increased exponentially after I got the T-34-85 (exp gain is about the same as all the other tanks, but you need almost twice as much exp to advance from the T-34-85 than from the T-34) ; Since the game's only sense of progression comes from getting new tanks and modules, and challenge levels of matches are entirely random, my enjoyment function has flatlined and began to drop, which I realized after yesterday's session.

If the devs desire to keep casual players playing and paying monies after a certain point, they need to seriously think about new game modes, events, metagame etc.

Otherwise they will be stuck exclusively with commander's cupole crowd and idiot OCD fanboys who won't pay for gold anyway, chosing to grind 12 hours a day instead.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Apparently there are numerous other game modes planned upon release. I'm still sort of pottering around on the low tiers, enjoying myself. I do hope they bring in smoke and better cover, I would even prefer that over new game modes

Btw, was it Mr. Coffee who put the what if the germans had star destroyers thread in the WOT forum?
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

PeZook wrote:
Otherwise they will be stuck exclusively with commander's cupole crowd and idiot OCD fanboys who won't pay for gold anyway, choosing to grind 12 hours a day instead.
That crowd hates them for having historical matches with tanks from 1939 fighting tanks from 1949 by default which they simply can't compete and several glaring omissions in weapon selection options not to mention their usually good but disturbingly pro-Soviet equipment slant when it comes to penetration tables.

And yes I hit peak XP the instant after 5-xp ended. I've got a T-20, a Hummel, a Su-152, An M6, a 23001P and the chance to move up to any of the Tier 7 tanks is just so many battles as to be unappealing as it turns out unlike the Sherman Firefly I hate the T-20 (95% a function of what tier fights I end up in). The Su-152 is the worst of the lot, the Soviet tank destroyer line is garbage after the Su-85, your weaker armed then equivlant level tanks and without the massive amount of armor the German tanks get. Maybe the object 704 is a great end tank but I'd question that. If I get a Jagpanther I know I can hurt shit, if I get a Ferd I know I'm a damn invisible pillbox. Jagtiger? I can rip tanks in HALF. But looking at my Tier 8 after playing with my Tier 7 and it's more of the same but in yet MORE high tier matches.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

barnest2 wrote:Btw, was it Mr. Coffee who put the what if the germans had star destroyers thread in the WOT forum?
Yeah. After dozens of treads telling how uber and cool the "Ratte" would have been, it was time someone made a more realistic tread.
PeZook wrote:So...it would appear I have finally hit Peak Exp.

The marginal costs of gaining a certain % of experience necessary to move up a tier have increased exponentially after I got the T-34-85 (exp gain is about the same as all the other tanks, but you need almost twice as much exp to advance from the T-34-85 than from the T-34) ; Since the game's only sense of progression comes from getting new tanks and modules, and challenge levels of matches are entirely random, my enjoyment function has flatlined and began to drop, which I realized after yesterday's session.

If the devs desire to keep casual players playing and paying monies after a certain point, they need to seriously think about new game modes, events, metagame etc.

Otherwise they will be stuck exclusively with commander's cupole crowd and idiot OCD fanboys who won't pay for gold anyway, chosing to grind 12 hours a day instead.
I have that too (playing sporadically now and then). The best advice I can give you is to not trow away those lower tier tanks which are fun playing with, so you can switch to those when you're tired of grinding the same old crappy tank.
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Pretty much in the same boat here. My interest had been trailing off but really took a dive after the last major patch. I came back for the 5x days, and after blowing my holiday gold stockpile I now have a fully upgraded Ausf. B, Hummel, Panther and Jagdpanther. I also kept my Panzer III for raiding and my King Tiger to farm XP (from back when we thought a soft wipe was coming in January). None of the next tanks up interest me enough to put up with the grind any longer, though I will admit to a slight resurgence once I gained the ability to put 128mm holes in people. It was fun while it lasted, and I played for much longer than I thought I would.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Thanas wrote:The plural of Maus is Mäuse.
Huh. In the context of military equipment I thought it had the irregular plural "egregious waste of resources"

I consider myself very lucky I managed to get a fully upgraded T32. That thing is sex on treads, and so is the T29 I kept. If they want to make money on this game, they can do one simple thing. Sell softwipes. I don't care if I take a 10% hit to my total xp even, if I can do that, I would actually fork money into the game, and I never do that. I don't play MMOs because of subscriptions, that simple, but with that option I'd actually pay money. Considering how hit or miss tanks can get, they kind of need it so people don't get stuck with tanks they don't like and don't get bored and stop playing. But in the meantime, I really like the US heavies, and they suck at tier 9 and 10 so I don't have to worry about grinding upgrades. I haven't played my tiger but twice since I got the T29, I have no idea when I last played my T-34-85, and pretty much all my other tanks bore me, but those two are great. Other tanks I'm a huge fan of are the T-34, Panzerjäger I, howitzer Sherman and Panzer 35(t). Other than those I find it hard to remember I really liked.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

barnest2 wrote:Btw, was it Mr. Coffee who put the what if the germans had star destroyers thread in the WOT forum?
Yeah, that was me. Every now and then when the level of stupid goose-steppin' nazi-wanking bullshit on their Alt-Hist forum gets to high I post shit like that to troll the shit out of the place. I Alo did a thread on force subbing the various parties involve3d in WWII with different factions from WH40K (US becomes SMs, Russia becomes the IG, Germany was Chaos, and Italy ended up being Orks or some shit). I think at least 2/3s of my read-only bans on the WoT forums happened over a mod getting pissy about me interrupting the Third Reich Mutual Masturbation ForumAlt-History Forums with my shenanigans. I totally couldn't pull that shit here... Thanas' would oppress me so hard my grandchildren would be born banned from SDN.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So they have a clique of nazi-wankers at their forums? Figures :D

It's like every game where you can play as Germans attracts them...

EDIT: Holy crap they did Sealion there, too. What the fuck? :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

My favourite still has to be the flood of "ZOMG Ratte defeats Red Army." threads...
Do these people consider anything other than the size of its penis enlargement gun?

P.S. Mr. Coffee, those threads are hilarious to read after the idiocy.

P.P.S. Someone actually asked whether the Ratte was on the same power level as an AT-AT :wtf:
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Obviously Ratte would be impervious to IS-7s main gun so it would win every match and therefore the war.

There was a guy who wrote "Don't overestimate logistics, they didn't matter in 1941"

:D

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

PeZook wrote:Obviously Ratte would be impervious to IS-7s main gun so it would win every match and therefore the war.

Obviously!
Battlefield 1942, Forgotten Hope base mod, Secret Weapon Mini Mod, Map is Operation Ratte Trap one of the most hilarious things to do in old BF1942 when you jam 64 people on the server, 32 trying to defend the Ratte as 1 player drivers it to the two factories it has to blow up, while 32 other players try and destroy the Ratte before it can do that.

How such a mythical... mythical tank could work in World of tanks I have no idea but it would be fun to say the least.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Mr Bean wrote:
PeZook wrote:

How such a mythical... mythical tank could work in World of tanks I have no idea but it would be fun to say the least.
It's be funny if it took 15 minutes to reload a shell
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

One suggestion on the WOT forums was for three players to man the Ratte, attempting to escape the map, whilst 15 or so try to destroy it.
While it would be strange, I would love to try it out, though it would need a reasonably large and open map.

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Mr Bean wrote:How such a mythical... mythical tank could work in World of tanks I have no idea but it would be fun to say the least.
...Map Loading...

SomeRando112: Hey, guys! Everyone go down the E lin... Is this a new map? I don't remember there being a giant grey building on their side of the map... Oh, god it's covered in naval artillery and it can move! Guys, it's looking at me.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

Damn, if we can imagine the Ratte in this game, why not it's even more bloated cousin, the Monster? :P
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Force Lord wrote:Damn, if we can imagine the Ratte in this game, why not it's even more bloated cousin, the Monster? :P
That's a mobile artillery piece not a tank, and considering it's gun that's one round every 33.7 minutes (Best Gustaf rate I could find during a 12 hour period) with a minimum range of several hundred meters. Meaning you would not be able to even fire said guns on most World of Tanks maps.

Also considering the tech drawling this would simply be another Tiger. You get to fire once then get de-tracked for the rest of the match and gummed to death by all the lights and mediums chewing through your 90,000 hitpoints.

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

PeZook wrote:So they have a clique of nazi-wankers at their forums? Figures :D
And the mods are fishy in a way that lets the nazi-wankers hide behind them. I made the mistake of saying that somebody who decided to say that the Nazis in Iron Sky were shiny happy and wonderful in direct contradiction to the publicity materials was a nazi wanker. I then received a temp ban for racism. I don't even pretend to know what's up with that.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I love this thread.

"The world would have missed out on the epic war film Saving Schütze Koenig."

"Or the epic miniserie Band des bruders produced by Heinrich Spielbergen and Thomas Hanken about the perils of the members of 3rd Fallschirmjägerdivision when they were drop in england for op. Seelöwe."
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I just played a game with 5 (read that, FIVE) T1 heavies, as well as a KV, an IS and two VK 3601's. Yes, thats 9 heavy tanks.
I was driving a Hetzer, with the stock gun :wtf:
We also had a KV-3 and an SU-100.... I am feeling cross :banghead:

EDIT:.... we won... how the fuck did we win.... wow :shock:

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

One game I was in with my Churchill, we'd something like 8 TDs and two arty in our team. The enemy had two arty and one TD.

Got out of that one with 3 kills and 4 assists. Fortunately half the team listened when I suggested we do defence, causing a PzIV and a slew of T34s and PzIIIs to run straight into our gunline. 7 kills for no losses makes me happy.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

barnest2 wrote:I just played a game with 5 (read that, FIVE) T1 heavies, as well as a KV, an IS and two VK 3601's. Yes, thats 9 heavy tanks.
I was driving a Hetzer, with the stock gun :wtf:
We also had a KV-3 and an SU-100.... I am feeling cross :banghead:

EDIT:.... we won... how the fuck did we win.... wow :shock:
The T1 Heavy deserves to be tiered lower than the KV. It's got a medium's gun, shitty armor, is the size of a house and moves like the iron pig it is. I greatly enjoy seeing T1's when driving my M7. It means I get some free kills.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

The jump from the T1/M6 to the T-29 is incredible-two shitboxes in a row to the best T7 heavy in the game.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Slacker wrote:The jump from the T1/M6 to the T-29 is incredible-two shitboxes in a row to the best T7 heavy in the game.
Welcome to the T29, it's a beautiful tank. I especially like it because it's one of a very few tanks where smart positioning and fighting can basically give you a sure win in a fight, instead of being in a trading fire situation where you don't have control.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Try to keep paired up with another heavy in your T29. Trying to stick to a medium or two is a good idea as well. As I've proven time and again in my M7, the fast tanks with high penetration guns (six-pounder with APCR) can get devastating hits on your rear end if you're not careful.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.