World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by xthetenth »

Thunderfire wrote:
gigabytelord wrote:
Imperial528 wrote:You've killed your free time. Or at least a good portion of it.
Well I had to find something else to do while going through eve online withdrawals.... *curls up in a corner* SO MANY MISSILES...
WoWP(World of Warplanes) might be an option too. Getting a Beta key shouldn't be that hard and the game is more skill based than WoT.

Oh god. WoWP. It's still missing some important stuff, but it is pretty fun. It is indeed more skill based than WoT. I've been playing since alpha and it's starting to turn into a pretty good game. I can't wait till it goes open, it's in a far better state than WoT was at that point already.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'll admit, I'm more looking forward to Warships than Warplanes. :P

If I want an airplane game I have Sturmovik and Ace Combat. :wink:

(I'll still get it anyway if its free though)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

Just re-bought the SU-26 after my SU-8 grind and needed some fun. My results today:

Victory!
Battle: Serene Coast Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:21:03 PM
Vehicle: SU-26
Experience received: 1,862 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 18,489
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Reaper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

(10 kills)

I missed you little buddy.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
DrMckay
Jedi Master

Post by DrMckay »

aaand I'm on fire tonight with the T-34-85. Possibly the best medium in the game if used right (I'm counting the VK 3601 as a heavy.)

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Tuesday, October 23, 2012 11:45:58 PM
Vehicle: T-34-85
Experience received: 2,474 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 31,197
Battle Achievements: Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards."
~Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
AO3 Link | FFN Link
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Warplanes is balls. I tried the tutorial and it put me right off. Plus for hte same reason that others have quoted - I have plenty of WW2 flight sims. I have no compulsion to play it.

But Warships? Yes. I am interested.
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

I do not understand the people that play this game. I can think of no reason why I should spend about 15 matches in a row one night, in all sorts of tanks across all sorts of tiers, doing things like leading a pack of lights/mediums to roll up the enemy flank and make hay of thir arty park only to turn around and find my team has acted like adult humans and inflicted more or less even casualties on the enemy so when we move in from their flank we roll the rest of them up, and have something similar happen in every game, and then at the same time the next night get 20 games in the row where my whole team is so inept we make the three fucking stooges look like a model of military excellence. Why the fuck would a Stug ever, for any reason, be in the middle of the field on Malinovka trying to brawl with an easy 8. Why?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Part of it is that there's no skill based matchmaking (and it would be really hard to have any, given the wide range of possible vehicles the matchmaking has to already deal with). A tank is weighted the same whether it's got an experienced player with a great win rate or a total scrub who's scraping the very bottom of the bell curve (practicably, win rates vary from about 40-60%).

So it's quite possible for the matchmaking to stack a whole team of scrub players together, against which even a team of average players will crush them.

And unless you're using XVM* you can't tell whether you're on Team Scrub.

* And even if you are efficiency doesn't work in all cases, because it doesn't take into account how experienced a player is in the current vehicle, and it deals badly with certain vehicles that don't do serious amounts of damage or scouting but contribute a little in multiple areas like the french lights.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Say what you will about the French light tanks, there's nothing quite so enjoyable as drawing fire from the entire enemy team in an AMX-40, bouncing everything, sitting detracked in the middle of a field an blowing huge holes in somebody every time they poke their head out to fire another glancing shot at you.

'Course, then you get matched with anything higher-tier than you, and suddenly you're just a waddling duck-shaped target.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

If there's anything I like about the AMX-40, it's its retro-futuristic looks
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Although I found what usually happened with the AMX-40 was that everything was dead when you got to the fight because it's faster to get out and walk.

Or a Hetzer one shot you. Whichever.

But I'm mainly talking about the higher tier ones, where you get higher matchmaking because the crying would be enormous if normal tiers had to deal with the autoloader and ridiculous penetration, but your actual damage is pretty low and you don't have the mobility to scout actively.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Alas, just lost a game yesterday after getting 9 kills, most of which I was the solo damager on the Easy8. Over 1300 XP on a loss. Can't carry some games, no matter how hard you try :)
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

After getting my ass kicked over and over about a dozen times, I finally not only won a game but got 6 kills in the process.

I was using the Russian light tank, MS-1 I think? Of course this is after I had fully upgraded the gun, turret, tracks, engine, and radio... I think my ass is still sore...

My first six games consisted of me going, WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....BOOOM!!... damn it!

So I decided to employ a sniping tactic, and have found that the MS-1 offers the biggest gun on the smallest tank, with decent mobility.
I've always been that asshole who sits back behind cover and snipes your ass, literally, shooting enemy tanks in the rear is fun, but alas yet another game where I have inadvertently found myself stuck in a long range/support role, I've just never been the 'run in with guns blazing type', ever, my friends hate playing local fps games with me, they spend the entire time bitching about how they can't move without dying.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

If you're going to play as a sniper you're better off with the German tanks. At least at higher tiers, since German guns are TEH ACCURATE!! while Soviet ones leave something to be desired.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Nephtys wrote:Alas, just lost a game yesterday after getting 9 kills, most of which I was the solo damager on the Easy8. Over 1300 XP on a loss. Can't carry some games, no matter how hard you try :)

I hate matches like that, where you own, but the rest of your team buckles like a belt. Add in the one Slugger driver who thinks he's in a medium tank, gets murdered because of it, then bitches about how YOU'RE failing, and you complete the trifecta.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:If you're going to play as a sniper you're better off with the German tanks. At least at higher tiers, since German guns are TEH ACCURATE!! while Soviet ones leave something to be desired.
Well its not so much about accuracy, but rather stopping power, I actually looked at the weapons specs on the various tanks and found out the MS-1 had the highest caliber gun (When upgraded), with the highest damage out put. I'm not a big fan of rapid fire guns, I like taking my time, and it has just the right combo of speed, maneuverability, and stopping power, so I use it.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, the MS-1 is quite the fun tank. Just letting you know that later on the German's get the snipey ones. :P

EDIT: Oh, and we have a channel, should you ever want to talk to people in-game, or platoon. Just type 'SDN' in the Channel search and you'll get it (assuming one of us has a current version up, it auto-deletes every few days)
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Yeah, the MS-1 is quite the fun tank. Just letting you know that later on the German's get the snipey ones. :P
Roger, for right now though I have no monies and therefore no way to buy more tank slots and I've already wasted my one extra free slot buying the M2-LT, which as far as I'm concern is inferior, even if it can move at twice the speed of MS-1, it turns maddeningly slowly, and seems to be just... inferior..., maybe I'm just not using it right?

EDIT: Thanks

2nd EDIT: Also for a 'heavier' light tank, the MS-1 still outguns the damn thing (after upgrades), What The Fuck?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The trick is that if you keep taking Russian tanks, you will find that very few of them have accuracy. Accuracy matters for sniping at higher tiers because you are often aiming for specific bits on the enemy tank, at ranges of 200-300 meters. And reload rates decline too, so missing a shot leaves you open for longer. A gun that takes ten seconds to reload is NOT a gun you want to miss half your sniper shots with; the enemy artillery will figure out where you're sniping from and nuke you.

Low tier battles are mostly about having high DPS and being 'smarter than the average bear' when compared to the other newbies. High tier battles make factors like penetration and accuracy more important.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

gigabytelord wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Yeah, the MS-1 is quite the fun tank. Just letting you know that later on the German's get the snipey ones. :P
Roger, for right now though I have no monies and therefore no way to buy more tank slots and I've already wasted my one extra free slot buying the M2-LT, which as far as I'm concern is inferior, even if it can move at twice the speed of MS-1, it turns maddeningly slowly, and seems to be just... inferior..., maybe I'm just not using it right?

EDIT: Thanks

2nd EDIT: Also for a 'heavier' light tank, the MS-1 still outguns the damn thing (after upgrades), What The Fuck?
You do know you can sell your tanks to free up slots right? I've never paid a Penny and have a whole host of fun tanks :P

And the thing about your M2-LT! Remember to get all the upgrades and work your crew up and you'll notice the perforamnce go back up. That said it is a very differnt tank to the MS-1.

Though if you like sniping, have you considered going down a TD/Arty route? Those are very snipey.
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

True, if you want the TRUE snipers that is TD/Arty, depending on which you prefer. Snipey tanks are still the German's though.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

OmegaChief wrote:You do know you can sell your tanks to free up slots right? I've never paid a Penny and have a whole host of fun tanks :P

And the thing about your M2-LT! Remember to get all the upgrades and work your crew up and you'll notice the perforamnce go back up. That said it is a very differnt tank to the MS-1.

Though if you like sniping, have you considered going down a TD/Arty route? Those are very snipey.

No I didn't, how do I i'd like to get rid of one of them So I can get at least one medium.

And as far as the TD/Arty thing goes I actually want to eventually pilot a Tiger, even if it sucks, just being able to pilot something that literally made real men shit themselves with fear, would kinda make me feel all tingly inside :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

*wince*

Well, T7 is a ways off for you, but a warning...stock Tiger SUCKS. Don't expect the awesome long 88 for a while unless you are willing to spend money on free XP.

As for selling a tank...just right click on the tank, and it should give you the option to sell it. Thankfully, T1 tanks are ridiculously cheap, so you can go back to them if you want to grind that particular tree.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The Tiger doesn't actually suck anymore. It's an average Tier 7.

The problem is that too many players think it is an "I win!" tank, when it is really a machine that requires a fair bit of skill and tactical thinking to maximize (*gasp* So maybe the Tiger's success was due to the fact it was driven by top Panzer aces! Who knew crew skill could be so important? /sarcasm).

It's closer to a "heavy medium" than a true heavy. It must be constantly in motion, avoiding hits when possible, angling its armor to bounce off some hits when they do happen, and above all be constantly firing that sweet, sweet long 88mm gun.
gigabytelord
Padawan Learner

Post by gigabytelord »

Zinegata wrote:The Tiger doesn't actually suck anymore. It's an average Tier 7.

The problem is that too many players think it is an "I win!" tank, when it is really a machine that requires a fair bit of skill and tactical thinking to maximize (*gasp* So maybe the Tiger's success was due to the fact it was driven by top Panzer aces! Who knew crew skill could be so important? /sarcasm).

It's closer to a "heavy medium" than a true heavy. It must be constantly in motion, avoiding hits when possible, angling its armor to bounce off some hits when they do happen, and above all be constantly firing that sweet, sweet long 88mm gun.
That's what I figured, it just has such a massive reputation built up around it, that I'd like to have one :P
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The best thing about the Tiger though, is that it leads to the utterly fantastic Tiger II. Which leads to the glorious E-75, which is pretty much the Tiger II on lots of steroids.