Mural Painting

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Rye
To Mega Therion

Mural Painting

Post by Rye »

Ok, I've been commissioned to paint a mural at work, on an indoor wall. I have no idea what kind of paints/materials I'll need, so I ask anyone around here that might know. :)
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I did two for some friends of mine a long time ago. I used acrylic paint more or less straight out of the tube, little mixing involved as I used mostly straight colours. Just brushed it directly upon the wall after drawing my desired design there; in retrospect that wasn't a great idea as the drawing showed through the acrylic. Ah well...

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

This sounds more mean-spirited than I intend, but I have to ask how you were commisioned if you don't know the basics.

Go to a home-improvement store, and get acrylic wall paints (easily thinned with water and mixable) in primary colors so you can mix your own hues, and get a variety of different sized brushes from both the home-improvement joint and an art supplies store.

All that is of course dependant on what you intend to paint, but it's a start.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Frank Hipper wrote:This sounds more mean-spirited than I intend, but I have to ask how you were commisioned if you don't know the basics.

Go to a home-improvement store, and get acrylic wall paints (easily thinned with water and mixable) in primary colors so you can mix your own hues, and get a variety of different sized brushes from both the home-improvement joint and an art supplies store.

I'm guessing it's probably the same way I got mine-- from a friend who saw my artwork and asked if I could give it a spin. He knows how to do the art, just doesn't know what media works best for walls, is my guess.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Frank Hipper wrote:This sounds more mean-spirited than I intend, but I have to ask how you were commisioned if you don't know the basics.

Pretty much what Elheru said. At work (a small media company run by volunteers for the council) has a barren white wall upstairs that they think should be more inspirational. I was in casual conversation, mentioned I draw stuff occasionally, used to be quite good at painting, etc, so just sort of got conscripted, really.

I've painted with oils, acrylics and watercolours before, but it's been a while and I've never directly painted onto a wall. I don't know if wall paints are significantly different, or if normal acrylics are more likely to just chip off after a week or whatever, so hence the thread. :)

As for what I intend to paint, it's going to be a sky with sparse clouds, some water, and big rocks poking out of the water, complete with minas tirith-style buildings and towers cut into and placed on the rock and bridges between thems. Little boats on the water, too, plus vegetation, etc.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

Big wall-covering landscape murals benefit from exaggerated, surrealist, Salvador Dali perspective, I feel.

Perspective lines

Lay something (personally, I'd simplify it a lot)like that out on the wall before you begin, you can do it with string and a pencil.
With things diminishing to nothing off into the distance, you can really give it a limitless feeling.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.