Help me build 'The Broken' (DnD related)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Help me build 'The Broken' (DnD related)

Post by Ford Prefect »

As part of a personal project, I need some help coming up with broken DnD characters. While I do know there are some terribly broken classes floating about (hay hulking hurler), I'm not exactly good at pulling together such things. I have some basic themes that need to be adhered to, but you're free to go a little nuts. It's not meant to be really very serious, so the more absurd or insane, the better. But no mention of drow. And so:

1. An ilithid character. I love ilithids, because they're hilarious brain eating, deluded psychopaths. Break him!

2. An elven spellcaster of ludicrous proportions. Like Red Mage (from 8-bit), should possess a obsessive desire to be good at everything, but with pointier ears.

3. A paladin archetype. Said paladin must be able to great cleave. I am very demanding.

4. A monk. This should be easy.

5. Your standard 'flip out and kill people with two blades' styled character. Should be good at sneaking around and stabbing people in the head.

All will likely not be revealed in time. But thanks anyway.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
lance
Jedi Master

Re: Help me build 'The Broken' (DnD related)

Post by lance »

Ford Prefect wrote:As part of a personal project, I need some help coming up with broken DnD characters. While I do know there are some terribly broken classes floating about (hay hulking hurler), I'm not exactly good at pulling together such things. I have some basic themes that need to be adhered to, but you're free to go a little nuts. It's not meant to be really very serious, so the more absurd or insane, the better. But no mention of drow. And so:

1. An ilithid character. I love ilithids, because they're hilarious brain eating, deluded psychopaths. Break him!
Ilithid Savant prestige class. Clone your self and eat your own brain once you get access to 2 supernatural abilities.
2. An elven spellcaster of ludicrous proportions. Like Red Mage (from 8-bit), should possess a obsessive desire to be good at everything, but with pointier ears.
Gate, fabricate etc to gain infinite wealth and just by enhancers, shapechange and foresight.
3. A paladin archetype. Said paladin must be able to great cleave. I am very demanding.

Crusader 20? Paladin2/crusader 18,
Druid 20 with a monks belt and wilding armor, and a pair of amulets of health. Combine unarmed attacks with natural weapons.
5. Your standard 'flip out and kill people with two blades' styled character. Should be good at sneaking around and stabbing people in the head.
Rogue, scout with sparring dummy.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Ford Prefect wrote:1. An ilithid character. I love ilithids, because they're hilarious brain eating, deluded psychopaths. Break him!
Soul-Eater from Vile Darkness. When he hits 10 levels in it, each hit from his tentacles deals 2 negative levels, and once he's drained any energy, he gets a +4 to Strength, Con, Dex, +2 to saving throws, ability checks, and skills checks, as well as Shapechange into anything he's completely drained. This is on top of a full BAB/Best Save For All PrC for 10 levels.
Elven Bard 1/Wizard 7/Ultimate Magus 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus +9. Absurd number of spells-per-day in the 4th-9th level arena of the Wiz/Sorc list. Get something that counteracts the 'Celerity' spell's side effects and Nova the party with several hundred spells via Greater Arcane Fusion.
Paladin 4/Crusader 1/Ruby Knight Vindicator10/Grey Guard 5. Tome Of Battle melee badassery, spend Turn attacks for extra swift actions or recharging your maneuvers, and you need not pay XP to atone due to being a Grey Guard. Swap RKV and GG in levels to gain the ability to do whatever to complete your mission, no loss of abilities, gain the power to Smite any alignment, and Lay On Hands as a direct HP drain.
Binder 20 with Monk Belt. Bind Ipsos(Cold Iron claws, rend), Chupoclops(Ethereal Jaunt with infinite duration, shift back after a move or standard action, poison bite, pounce), and Ronove(Attack as a Monk of your Binder Level, +10 speed).
Swordsage 15/Teflammar Shadowlord 5 with the Shadow Blade feat and a beefy dex. Stay in Assassin's Stance from the Shadow Hand style and you'll get your Dex + 2d6 Sneak Attack dice to every attack for damage, and you can teleport three times a round, pouncing for a full attack after each.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

0_0

I think Nitram wins. At least he didn't bring out the Half-Illithid Paladin. (don't ask)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Abuse meditation in the Darksun second edition campaign and you will get godly characters. Wiping out all humans on earth in a single combat round using melee attacks is pretty nasty.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Thunderfire wrote:Abuse meditation in the Darksun second edition campaign and you will get godly characters. Wiping out all humans on earth in a single combat round using melee attacks is pretty nasty.
Meh. Darksun and Second Edition are too easy to make absurd.

It's like saying 'Here's Eberron with all the books, make something broken'. There's no challenge!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

The Nomad
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Nomad »

SirNitram wrote:Binder 20 with Monk Belt. Bind Ipsos(Cold Iron claws, rend), Chupoclops(Ethereal Jaunt with infinite duration, shift back after a move or standard action, poison bite, pounce), and Ronove(Attack as a Monk of your Binder Level, +10 speed).
Question: have you ever heard of a NWN module that includes this class? I absolutely love the concept of the Binder (much more so that the Truenamer or Shadow mage...).

Are they actually cool to play? I liked the Truenamer, but I've heard the spellcasting skill checks become impossible at high level. I wonder if Binders are worth buying the Tome of Magic when it is released in my country.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

The Nomad wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Binder 20 with Monk Belt. Bind Ipsos(Cold Iron claws, rend), Chupoclops(Ethereal Jaunt with infinite duration, shift back after a move or standard action, poison bite, pounce), and Ronove(Attack as a Monk of your Binder Level, +10 speed).
Question: have you ever heard of a NWN module that includes this class? I absolutely love the concept of the Binder (much more so that the Truenamer or Shadow mage...).

Are they actually cool to play? I liked the Truenamer, but I've heard the spellcasting skill checks become impossible at high level. I wonder if Binders are worth buying the Tome of Magic when it is released in my country.
I've only had a Binder as a villain(Since I almost never get to play), but that went well. I've never heard of a NWN module for them.

Truenaming does suffer the skill check insanity unless you do optimizing, though any rational DM can be shown the problem and house-rule it. Shadowcaster is just.. Meh. Thorough meh.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

LadyTevar wrote:0_0

I think Nitram wins.
Haha, oh yeah. I cracked up. While the idea of 'clone your self and eat your own brain' is enticing, the mere fact that this 'Soul-Eater from Vile Darkness' is so ridiculously broken is just plain funny.'

Thanks Nitram! Those are hella useful.
At least he didn't bring out the Half-Illithid Paladin. (don't ask)
Resisting ... urge ... unsuccessfully! :)

Seriously, half-Ilithid? Is that even biologically possible? I could understand an 'Adversary' style character becoming a paladin, but half-Ilithid? That's so silly that I HAVE to know.
What is Project Zohar?

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Ford Prefect wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:0_0

I think Nitram wins.
Haha, oh yeah. I cracked up. While the idea of 'clone your self and eat your own brain' is enticing, the mere fact that this 'Soul-Eater from Vile Darkness' is so ridiculously broken is just plain funny.'

Thanks Nitram! Those are hella useful.
At least he didn't bring out the Half-Illithid Paladin. (don't ask)
Resisting ... urge ... unsuccessfully! :)

Seriously, half-Ilithid? Is that even biologically possible? I could understand an 'Adversary' style character becoming a paladin, but half-Ilithid? That's so silly that I HAVE to know.
Well, remember an Illithid in it's adult form is a human with a specially bred larva inserted into the back of the skull. So yes, biologically possible. Throw in the horrific experiments they do on other critters... Well.

It uses the Illithid Heritage feats from Complete Psionic to gain 4 tentacle attacks from the mouth and the brain extraction(It's a much gimped for balance extraction). Now take Paladin for five levels, Gray Guard for 10, and Illithid Savant for five; enough to gain the 'Recall anything known by a brain you've eaten'.

Inquisitor. 'You can talk, or I can digest your brain and find out what you would have told me. I will give you thirty seconds.'

Anyway! Would you like how this madhouse would thematically work together?

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

SirNitram wrote:Inquisitor. 'You can talk, or I can digest your brain and find out what you would have told me. I will give you thirty seconds.'
I feel as though I live for this.
Hey, why the hell not. If you can manage that, I would be quite impressed. It's one thing to create broken characters, it's another thing to craft something interesting out of them.

EDIT: It would also be rather helpful. The classes were just for laughs in a story that I have stewing away.
Last edited by Ford Prefect on 2007-05-08 06:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is Project Zohar?

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

See here. Broken in both the 'insane amount of XP' as well as the 'munchkined out items and skills' sense. Some of the earlier characters in the series show the later only.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Ford Prefect wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Inquisitor. 'You can talk, or I can digest your brain and find out what you would have told me. I will give you thirty seconds.'
I feel as though I live for this.
Hey, why the hell not. If you can manage that, I would be quite impressed. It's one thing to create broken characters, it's another thing to craft something interesting out of them.
As I say to my players: Cheese is fine. But cheese without flavour is pointless.

Illithid: Realized what the hell happens to Good Little Illithids; has no intention of being devoured by an Elder Brain. Has become a Soul Eater willingly because, well, after you eat a dude's brain, there's not much of a leap up to souls.

Mage: Amoral seeker of arcane perfection(As the Ultimate Magus twinkery shows). Beleives that the Illithid can, one way or another, show her a path to greater spellpower. If he won't do so willingly, blasting him with save-or-dies until he keels over will work. Dissection, for science!

Paladin: Take the Heretic Of The Faith feat from Power of Faerun. LG Paladin Of Bane. Schismastic sect of the Tyrant who beleives that a benevolent, effective dictator is the perfect government who will unite the Realms and save it. The Illithid is clearly a fine subject for this.. Or so the paladin beleives, after about a dozen blasts of Charm Person. Best with Gray Guard 10/RKV 5 build, since now you need not worry about losing powers in the pursuit of his holy quest of putting the 'Thid on the ultimate throne.

Binder: Dominated thrall of the Illithid, capable of binding the remnants left over from his lord's meals for some flavourtastic explanation, if you don't use Vestiges yourself.

Swordsage: Native of the Teflammar region of the Realms, mostly following the rest because they realize it's a freakin' money train.

The only one not liable to, at any moment, snap and slaughter the rest is the Binder. The mage will do it if she thinks it's most prudent to gain magical knowledge then run, the paladin will do it if he doubts this is the Perfect Tyrant, and the Swordsage will if he thinks it's a liability. The Illithid is unlisted because he can look at the others and basically see a smorgasboard.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

That's actually rather funny. It also means that the Illithid can randomly break out into "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King.
What is Project Zohar?

SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Ford Prefect wrote:That's actually rather funny. It also means that the Illithid can randomly break out into "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" from The Lion King.
If the major villain doesn't have a musical number, you fail as a DM.

Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

For the paladin type:

Fighter 2, paladin 6, cavalier 10, then paladin again for the last two levels.
feats:
1.mounted combat, weapon focus (lance)
2.spirited charge
3.ride-by attack
6.power attack
9.improved bull rush
12.shock trooper
15.cleave
18.great cleave (only included because you made me do it)

What this does:
Cavalier 10 (at 18th level) gives you Unstoppable Charge 5/day. When you charge while mounted and wielding a lance you deal quintuple damage. That's 10d4 plus bonuses. Shock trooper allows you to apply the penalty from power attack to your AC instead of your attack rolls. At level 20 you can channel 20 points into that. If your DM lets you hold the lance in both hands while mounted thats +40 damage. Multiply by five and thats +200 damage. This isn't over. Apply the quality Valorous (+1 equivalent) from Unapproachable East to the lance. This increases the multiplier again to +6. +240 damage from power attack. At this point your strength should be at least 14. Strength bonus is 2, times 1.5 for wielding in both hands is +3 damage. Oh, and your lance is at least +1. Four times five is 20, so now you're dealing 12d4 +260 damage. That's an average of 290. If your strength is 18 instead of 14 that gives you 18 more damage, and making the lance a +5 instead of +1 gives you 24 more. That's 332 damage.
Beware of gargantuan or larger dragons. They have enough hitpoints to survive that.

Caster:
Wizard 8, Ur-priest 1, Mystic Theurge 9, Wizard 2 more
Necessary feats:Iron will, Spell Focus(evil)
What this does: Ninth level arcane and divine spells. You lose one arcane caster level and gain crippled Cleric casting including 9th level spells through Ur-Priest.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

One of my friends once tried playing an Illithid. He had a lot of trouble though because we started at level 1 and I guess Illithids are pretty weak-sauce at low levels.
SirNitram wrote:It's like saying 'Here's Eberron with all the books, make something broken'. There's no challenge!
This is funny to me because one of my friends has just about every Eberron book, has a titanic hard-on for Eberron, and cannot wait to DM an Eberron game. Could you elaborate briefly on what is broken about Eberron?
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Raxmei wrote:<paladin stuff>
Here's a bit of twinkery that is DM dependent. If you are anticipating a lot of dungeon crawls, instead of a human paladin on a warhorse, take gnomish paladin on a riding dog (halfling also works, but gnome bonuses fit slightly better). It allows you to do the spirited charge in smaller spaces.

For comic twinking, there's always the werechicken. The twinking comes from the fact that chickens cost 1 copper piece, and starting characters typically start with 100 or so gold pieces. That's 10,000 chickens. Oh, and did I mention that werecreatures in D&D are able to command creatures of their type? The only weakness of this build is that it is completely helpless against stuff with damage reduction, particularly a level 7 barbarian with great cleave.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Uraniun235 wrote:
SirNitram wrote:It's like saying 'Here's Eberron with all the books, make something broken'. There's no challenge!
This is funny to me because one of my friends has just about every Eberron book, has a titanic hard-on for Eberron, and cannot wait to DM an Eberron game. Could you elaborate briefly on what is broken about Eberron?
Eberron in general is not really, really broken. There's just specific stuff in there that gets downright unreal. Consider the Planar Sheppard. Pick a plane. By the end of it, not only do you carry a 'bubble' of that Plane's features with you, you can Wild Shape into any native of it, and keep all (Ex) and (Su) and Spell-Likes the critter has. In short, you can pick a plane with the 'variable time' trait and get 10 rounds for every 1 in the rest of the world constantly, or pick one where Efreeti are known to reside and grant yourself Wishes.

There's a few other really titanically broken things, but it's hard to beat Planar Sheppard for the 'Win' button.

Academia Nut
Sith Devotee

Post by Academia Nut »

Werechicken commanding an army of chickens... must do extra well against elven fighters then! Man though, you guys really know how to break things, although I'll admit that since I don't have any of the "Complete" books I'm probably missing out on some of the more wanky feats and prestige classes. The most broken thing I could come up with was the barbarian/bard/dragon disciple combo with full demon-touched feats from Hordes of the Abyss, although I haven't really tried that hard to completely break the system... except for that one time where I worked out a way to get a character with damage reduction that required a lawful, chaotic epic weapon to overcome, again by exploiting Hordes of the Abyss.
I love learning. Teach me. I will listen.
You know, if Christian dogma included a ten-foot tall Jesus walking around in battle armor and smashing retarded cultists with a gaint mace, I might just convert - Noble Ire on Jesus smashing Scientologists
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Civil War Man wrote:For comic twinking, there's always the werechicken. The twinking comes from the fact that chickens cost 1 copper piece, and starting characters typically start with 100 or so gold pieces. That's 10,000 chickens. Oh, and did I mention that werecreatures in D&D are able to command creatures of their type? The only weakness of this build is that it is completely helpless against stuff with damage reduction, particularly a level 7 barbarian with great cleave.
Nice concept. If I ever play D&D again, I'll have to try that. :)
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Can we use the Gelsat rules to make them broken?
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

For #5 I think Scout 7, Dervish 9, Tempest 4 might work out decently. Seven levels of scout give you +2d6 damage per hit every round you move more than 10 feet. Dervishes have a dervish dance class ability in which the character moves after every attack in a full attack. Tempest 4 is mostly tacked on, but it also eliminates the attack roll penalties from two-weapon fighting. Oh, and you can also use spring attack with two weapons.

You could also use Swashbuckler instead of Scout, but that reduces your sneakiness and the damage worsens unless you can get your int bonus up to +7.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

Bah, nothing can beat Pun-pun!
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Rawtooth wrote:Bah, nothing can beat Pun-pun!
Oh come on, there's at least four tricks which beat Pun-Pun. Pun-Pun is so last decade.