Attacks/abuse on red-headed family in Newcastle, UK

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Bertie Wooster
Jedi Council Member
Location: reposed at the bosom of Nyx on the shores of Formentera

Attacks/abuse on red-headed family in Newcastle, UK

Post by Bertie Wooster »

BBC
Red-haired family forced to move

A Newcastle family claim they have been forced from two homes by thugs who have targeted them over their ginger hair.

Kevin and Barbara Chapman say they and their four children, aged between 10 and 13, have endured years of taunts, smashed windows and violence.

They said they moved from Walker to Newbiggin Hall to try to escape the bullying, and then again to Kenton Bar.

Son Kevin, 11, said he was recently punched in a street attack. Newcastle Council is "discussing the situation".

Mr Chapman, 49, said his 10-year-old daughter Ryelle and sons Daniel, 10, and Jordan, 13, have also been badly affected.

He said each time the family received abuse they moved home.

They've been punched and kicked and thrown over a hedge
Father Kevin Chapman

The family also say they have endured their homes being daubed in graffiti.

Mr Chapman said: "The abuse we get is unbelievable. It started more than three years ago, when the kids started getting bullied by lads over the colour of their hair.

"They've been punched and kicked and thrown over a hedge. Every time they go out these gangs get to them."

He added that the family now wanted to move again.

Community police officer Sergeant Colin Murray, of Northumbria Police, said there had been a number of incidents all of which had been fully investigated.

Commenting on the matter, a Newcastle City Council spokesman said: "We are currently discussing their situation."
Is there really bigotry against redheads in England or is this family being harassed and attacked for some other reason? I can understand how in the middle ages and the 16th century, there may have been hatred against Scottish-looking folks in England, but I've not heard of anything recent of a anti-redhead prejudice. The only bit of prejudice I've ever heard recently is some half-serious adage that you can't trust a redheaded girl, but I don't think anyone takes that seriously. There's redheaded people everywhere, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

This looks like a job for...

THE REDHEADED LEAGUE!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

What the deuce? :wtf:
JADAFETWA
Spice Runner
Jedi Knight

Post by Spice Runner »

Why, it's elementary my dear Kuja. Chewie is referring to one of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

Wow, people really will fuck with each other over anything.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

There are numerous insults for ginger people that I recall, certainly it's the one hair colour that allows you to be insulted randomly. I remember friendly banter in my house revolving mainly around one housemate insulting the ginger housemate and him insulting him back.

Nevertheless, this sounds above and beyond anything I've ever read about, and probably is more to do with these gangs of kids looking for an easy target. I can't speak for Newbiggin or Kenton Bar, but Walker is a run-down rough area and I don't think I'd feel 100% safe wandering the streets there, never mind little kids. Certainly when I was working for Newcastle City Council, I was under strict orders not to have my council badge in plain sight when I was in Walker. Also it was the only area where we were supposed to have a partner with us for anything more than a quick visit.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
Rye
To Mega Therion

Re: Attacks/abuse on red-headed family in Newcastle, UK

Post by Rye »

Bertie Wooster wrote: Is there really bigotry against redheads in England or is this family being harassed and attacked for some other reason? I can understand how in the middle ages and the 16th century, there may have been hatred against Scottish-looking folks in England, but I've not heard of anything recent of a anti-redhead prejudice. The only bit of prejudice I've ever heard recently is some half-serious adage that you can't trust a redheaded girl, but I don't think anyone takes that seriously. There's redheaded people everywhere, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anything like this.
Ginger hair is one of those things that people generally pick on people for at school and in a joking manner whenever they're being immature later in life. I've never heard of stuff like this going down, though. Must just be a really shitty area full of chavs, and there's some really rough areas in Newcastle.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Th bizarre thing is that the majority of people who live in Newcastle are descended from Vikings. Most of who was ginger as well, so this is just quite frankly, utterly moronic.

Bloody Geordies.... They're getting as bad as the Brummies. Almost.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

Newbiggin, Kenton bar and Walker are all dumps...

this family should plan the next move more carefully, and perhaps should think about moving a little farther away..
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Master Arachnos wrote:Newbiggin, Kenton bar and Walker are all dumps...

this family should plan the next move more carefully, and perhaps should think about moving a little farther away..
Having done work experience's in the local Housing department, I can say tell you that they probably had little or no control over where they were sent to live. That's the trouble with renting from the various housing associations - They may be full of good intentions, but they simply don't have enough properties to be giving people what they want.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
jegs2
Imperial Spook

Re: Attacks/abuse on red-headed family in Newcastle, UK

Post by jegs2 »

Bertie Wooster wrote:Is there really bigotry against redheads in England or is this family being harassed and attacked for some other reason?
Don't know about England, but I was picked on as a kid for having red hair. Have never heard of an entire family being bullied though.
John 3:16-18
Warwolves G2
The University of North Alabama Lions!
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

I grew up hearing "I'll beat (you) like a red-headed step-child" here in the Appalachians, so the idea of red-hair being 'wrong' in some way continues even in America.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

I've always had the impression that it's like having glasses, something you might get teased about at school, but not something that people target a family over.
wolveraptor
Sith Marauder

Post by wolveraptor »

Not once in my life has anyone ever insulted anyone for for having red hair. I live in the Midwest, near Chicago, by the way. I've simply never heard of something like that.
"If one needed proof that a guitar was more than wood and string, that a song was more than notes and words, and that a man could be more than a name and a few faded pictures, then Robert Johnson’s recordings were all one could ask for."

- Herb Bowie, Reason to Rock
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

LadyTevar wrote:I grew up hearing "I'll beat (you) like a red-headed step-child" here in the Appalachians, so the idea of red-hair being 'wrong' in some way continues even in America.
I think the "red-headed step child" thing is a movie reference, but I'm not sure. I've heard it myself, though it has never been serious.

Picked on just for red hair? I'm kind of suspicious of this. Unless they live in the equivalent of the American South, I can't imagine that red heads are rare enough to illicit reactions like those described from adults. Then again, people are inately xenophobic pricks, so not really a line between going too far and playful teasing...
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.