Massive Attack Fans

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

JLTucker
BANNED

Massive Attack Fans

Post by JLTucker »

If there are any Massive Attack fans here, could you recommend some of their better albums? I recently got into them after hearing one of their songs on The Insider soundtrack. Thanks.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

My personal favorite albums of theirs are Mezzanine and Protection. I've Blue Lines and 100th Window as well, but both the above grab my attention much better and much more than the latter two.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I adore Teardrop, it's on Mezzanine.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Yeah. I found out about "Tear Drop" from the House theme. I just wasn't interested in them until I watched The Insider.
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

JLTucker wrote:Yeah. I found out about "Tear Drop" from the House theme. I just wasn't interested in them until I watched The Insider.
Mezzanine has a few other notable ones. Dissolved Girl is from the original Matrix movie, for instance. The song Angel I've heard in a few movies now, and for good reason.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Mezzanine is generally acknowledged as the Massive Attack album one must own. Though I only have two of their albums (Blue Lines is the other, so I don't really have much to go on) I'd have to agree with "Mezzanine" being the best one. It gets pretty intense.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
rhoenix
Jedi Council Member

Post by rhoenix »

muse wrote:Mezzanine is generally acknowledged as the Massive Attack album one must own. Though I only have two of their albums (Blue Lines is the other, so I don't really have much to go on) I'd have to agree with "Mezzanine" being the best one. It gets pretty intense.
I'd recommend you eventually pick up Protection. I don't think it's as good as Mezzanine, but it is my second-favorite.
Oberleutnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Oberleutnant »

Another vote for Mezzanine from me. Incidentally, Teardrop is perhaps among my personal top 10 songs of all time. I don't think I ever will get tired of Elizabeth Fraser's sugary voice (for those who don't know about this classic).

Edit:
You could, of course, try buying Collected, which is their "best of" album from last year. All my favourite Massive Attack songs are on the track listing.
"Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this."
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

I also heartily recommend Mezzanine.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Plekhanov
Sith Marauder

Post by Plekhanov »

'Blue Lines' and 'Protection' are both wonderful albums and not as dark or intense as their later stuff, I vaguely recall them putting out a compilation album last year that might be a good place to start to give you an overview of their output.