Wacom Painting Tips?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Covenant
Sith Marauder

Wacom Painting Tips?

Post by Covenant »

Hey, I was doing some freehand work with my tablet, and I was wondering, was there any kind of tips, tricks, tutorials or such for learning out to digitally paint? It's very similar to doing it by hand, but there's a very specific style and feel to digital paint, and I'd love to be able to do the gorgeous kind of art that the Homeworld staff did. They used so few strokes, it boggles the mind. Got any painting gurus, or shall I simply practice, practice, practice?
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Practice practice practice is the answer to anything, but I think if you poke aorund Penny-Arcade, Gabe made some posts about his technique. Probably some youtube vids as well.
XXXI
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Meddle with the opacity a lot.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Post by Tasoth »

Layers. Do a really rough sketch as the base and then either go over the concrete details you want with your freehand or take the 'draw shape/line' tool and use that to do the outline.
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

In truth, observe and practice. Everything else is just a means to an end. It's all about understanding your tools, what you want, and how to use said tools to get you there. Simple concept, requiring a large amount of work and dedication.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I´ve never tried it but from people who are into digital painting i hear that Autodesks Sketchbook Pro is supposed to be a lot better than programms like Photoshop for this type of task.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

salm wrote:I´ve never tried it but from people who are into digital painting i hear that Autodesks Sketchbook Pro is supposed to be a lot better than programms like Photoshop for this type of task.
I'll look into it.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
AnimeJet
Jedi Knight

Post by AnimeJet »

If you have a sample of your work and a sample of what you want to achieve that would help too
"Everyone is a Nintendo Fan when no one is looking"
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

salm wrote:I´ve never tried it but from people who are into digital painting i hear that Autodesks Sketchbook Pro is supposed to be a lot better than programms like Photoshop for this type of task.
Also look into Corel Painter X if you'd like.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!