Good Lord of the Rings fanfic...

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Bug-Eyed Earl
Jedi Master

Good Lord of the Rings fanfic...

Post by Bug-Eyed Earl »

I occasionally find a gem or two on fanfiction.net, but since the release of the movies, that page has become inundated with Mary Sues and Legolas romances written by empty-headed teenage girls who never read the books.

anybody have any recommendations?
BotM Cybertronian
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Can't help you there. Didn't really think it was something to write fanfics about; the most stories and events that take place in Middle Earth are quite closed-ended, though I guess I could see someone writing about thier own little group of characters doing their own little thing somewhere between major events.
By His Word...
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I've never encountered any decent LOTR fiction.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Biddybot
Youngling

LOTR Fanfics

Post by Biddybot »

I'm sorry to say I've never found any good LOTR fanfic either. The only thing that came close was the parody National Lampoon did, 'Bored of the Rings', but that was pro. Writing serious fanfic about LOTR is like trying to do fanfic about 'A Tale of Two Cities' or 'Lord of the Flies', methinks.

Since most of the stuff out there is mediocre, better you go for the bad apples that go the extra mile and are so excruciatingly terrible that they become quite funny in spite of themselves--at least you'll have a couple of good laughs. One about Frodo failing in his task and becoming Sauron's love-slave comes to mind. The forum at Godawful Fan Fiction is a good place to go for leads on finding the quality schlock.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

I took a bit of a crack at it once, but it never got very far...where the Borg assimilate the Orcs.

Godawful? Wow, I remember that site. I submitted a couple of PAUL JACQUES stories to it and one of them got ripped to pieces :D
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
BlackWarMewtwo
Youngling

Post by BlackWarMewtwo »

The Official Fanfiction University of Middle-earth: http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=644826

I've had that recommended to me, but it's more of a parody of bad fanfics than a fanfic of its own
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fanfiction.net is shit if you ask me. A circle wank for a few of the elite authors and with most of the work being absolutely shit.

Remember when ASVS was praised by someone (I forget who) for having the most consistantly high standard of fic on the net?
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

LOTR Legolas gay sex and other musings moved....Keep on topic fellas.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2