Team 1540's Animation for the '08 FIRST Robotics Competition

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Lambda 00
Redshirt

Team 1540's Animation for the '08 FIRST Robotics Competition

Post by Lambda 00 »

Made by: Anthony and I
Voice actors: Dale and Brad
Music by: Cole
SFX from our team's lab

And...Without further ado, I present the 2008 FIRST robotics Animation submission by Team 1540, The Flaming Chickens (The title slide was changed in the submitted one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ9aQ7Y_R1w
SD.net Celiac (Can't eat Wheat, Barley, Spelt, and Rye)
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

I've never understood what these things are. Isn't it just a robot thing? What's the animation thing about? I see a lot of these FIRST animation things and they're always fairly godawful by animation standards, so I imagine they're really more about the robots or something, right?
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

yeah i don't understand either.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Re: Team 1540's Animation for the '08 FIRST Robotics Competi

Post by Master of Cards »

Lambda 00 wrote:Made by: Anthony and I
Voice actors: Dale and Brad
Music by: Cole
SFX from our team's lab

And...Without further ado, I present the 2008 FIRST robotics Animation submission by Team 1540, The Flaming Chickens (The title slide was changed in the submitted one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ9aQ7Y_R1w
Well you're another Animator? I'm team 1094's lead animator. You have issuses with your sound.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

FIRST animations are typically god awful because they're done by a bunch of HS students with no sense of art. Also, they have no sense of what amount of time it will take to do a good job in their planned animation, and so do something far to complicated. And they're inexperienced, so they don't know how to do stuff in the first place.

That is why someone who's never been in FIRST before, but is both motivated and experienced in modeling and animation, can win first place at the national competition, while a team of animators can fail. The example I'm talking about

Yeah, the sound is slightly desynced (fast) from the video in the OP.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lambda 00
Redshirt

Post by Lambda 00 »

Beowulf wrote: Yeah, the sound is slightly desynced (fast) from the video in the OP.
Oops! Didn't mean to have that happen...
Edit: Apparently the Cheesy ones seem to win more for some odd reason, at least so far... Yes, ours sucks somewhat, but it's still our first year (also damn that iMovie HD software)
SD.net Celiac (Can't eat Wheat, Barley, Spelt, and Rye)
Master of Cards
Jedi Master

Post by Master of Cards »

Lambda 00 wrote:
Beowulf wrote: Yeah, the sound is slightly desynced (fast) from the video in the OP.
Oops! Didn't mean to have that happen...
Edit: Apparently the Cheesy ones seem to win more for some odd reason, at least so far... Yes, ours sucks somewhat, but it's still our first year (also damn that iMovie HD software)
Oh trust me, editing software sucks ass. This year they tryed to give us Combustion to help with it, but we never got it. So we had to do it in Windows Movie Maker, it sucks ass.
An d your animation is better then a lot of other teams I can think of.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Ugh, combustion. Use Aftereffects, or if you can find it, use Final Cut Pro for a real easy entry level editing package. Makes things a whole heck of a lot simpler to cram stuff together.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Can you really edit in Combustion and After Effects? They´re compositing programs and as far as i know lack most editing features. You´d have to use something like Adobe Premiere, Avid or Final Cut to really edit your movies.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

FIRST, eh? I lead one of those teams last year. In fact, I think I might've seen you (1540) at the Greater Toronto Regional...

Or I'm imagining that, since I don't recall any flaming chickens... :?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum