Major New Rail Lines Considered In UK

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Major New Rail Lines Considered In UK

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Major new rail lines considered
proposed new high-speed rail routes

Five new high-speed main lines crossing the width and breadth of the UK may be built as part of a review of the rail network, Network Rail says.

The network operator will announce on Monday it is to commission a study looking into what could be the largest track build since the 19th century.

The study will consider laying new lines alongside five of the UK's busiest routes by 2025.

They include the East Coast main line and West Coast main line.

Record numbers

The review will also assess the need for high speed trains similar to the French TGV to cope with Britain's growing number of rail users.

In the last decade, passenger numbers have risen by about 40% with more people travelling by rail than at any time since 1946.

There is a huge case to be made for an expansion of the rail network
Network Rail

In addition, numbers are expected to swell by a further 30% in the next 10 years.

The study being commissioned by Network Rail will look at the service in the post-2014 period, with all options "on the table".

If given the go-ahead, the new lines are likely to run alongside some of the UK's busiest existing routes.

They include the West Coast line to Birmingham, Manchester and Glasgow, the East Coast main line to Edinburgh, the Great Western main line to Cardiff and Penzance, the Midland main line to Sheffield and the Chiltern route to Birmingham.

A spokesman for Network Rail said: "We are looking at these five strategic routes. We are possibly looking at new lines.

Expanding Britain's railways by building new high speed lines is potentially very exciting
Richard Dyer
Friends of the Earth

"There is a huge case to be made for an expansion of the rail network. All options are on the table looking at how we address capacity issues."

Richard Dyer, transport campaigner at Friends of the Earth, said: "Expanding Britain's railways by building new high speed lines is potentially very exciting - and could play an important role in weaning Britain off fossil fuels and developing a low carbon economy.

"But the overall impact that this would have on local people and the environment must be carefully considered.

"The UK needs a modern, comprehensive and affordable rail network to provide a real alternative to cars, lorries and short haul flights, and help cut Britain's contribution to global climate change.

"Our creaking railway system desperately requires huge investment to bring it into the 21st century."

Ashwin Kumar, passenger director of independent watchdog for rail users Passenger Focus, said: "We welcome the study. It is extremely important the rail industry anticipates future growth."
Link

It's excellent news, though still only under consideration, but I'd like to see something to improve services to smaller towns in parts of the country that aren't the South East, as well. The way the rail services have been ran down that way in places like the North East - I'm from Hartlepool, and there's only about two trains run through there an hour now - is terrible. For example, prices are around 40% higher for a return trip to Newcastle from Hartlepool than they were when I started university in 2002 and the number of services has been halved to one every half hour, rendering it a deeply unattractive option for travellers. This is hardly a unique situation for towns in the sub 100k population league. The difference between that and the services available where I love now in the SE is like night and day.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I bet you £5 this never happens. actual payment of cash will not be honoured.

But the overall impact that this would have on local people and the environment must be carefully considered.
As in we won't do it, although we'll still hold a multimillion pound investigation into it to make it look like we care.
The UK needs a modern, comprehensive and affordable rail network
This point needs to be rammed down the rail operators and governments throats with a rhinoceros, getting to London via train for me would cost four times the amount of petrol I'd use and nearly three times just getting a coach. And lets not talk about reliability.
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

Also *waves from this place beyond the South East, the South West* Hellloooo, Bristol isn't very useful! How about some proper lines down here, away from the coast, you bastards?

Otherwise..yeah, good news.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I’d bet some of the roadbeds will be constructed, only to see the funding for laying actual track cut.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Darth Tanner wrote:As in we won't do it, although we'll still hold a multimillion pound investigation into it to make it look like we care.
What pisses me off in particular is the many, many millions spent on an endless succession of Severn (tidal) Barrage studies. So much in fact that you could actually build some of the smaller versions with the total amount of money spent on studies.
Sea Skimmer wrote:I’d bet some of the roadbeds will be constructed, only to see the funding for laying actual track cut.
That would at least be progress. We can always get back to laying the track later, as long as the right-of-way doesn't get built over.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Starglider wrote: That would at least be progress. We can always get back to laying the track later, as long as the right-of-way doesn't get built over.
Don’t worry, they’ll quickly approve a few subdivisions and unseparated roadways to cut the right of way into small impractical pieces to ensure the program is as dead as possible at maximum financial loss. I can expect nothing less from any project the British Treasury is involved with.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

What bites me is they got all these people back on the trains and then jacked the prices up by about 25%.

How much are the going to up the prices to pay for this?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Zac Naloen wrote:What bites me is they got all these people back on the trains and then jacked the prices up by about 25%.

How much can you afford?

Put it this way, it takes me longer and more money to get a return to my parents' from where I am (300 klicks) than it does to get to Malaga, Spain. I love rail, but the UK has screwed the pooch with the current network. More rolling stock can't help when the current system is so heavily inundated and extra lines? Gotta see it to believe it.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:
Zac Naloen wrote:What bites me is they got all these people back on the trains and then jacked the prices up by about 25%.

How much can you afford?

Put it this way, it takes me longer and more money to get a return to my parents' from where I am (300 klicks) than it does to get to Malaga, Spain. I love rail, but the UK has screwed the pooch with the current network. More rolling stock can't help when the current system is so heavily inundated and extra lines? Gotta see it to believe it.
I can afford to get to work for £25 a week (that's cheaper than my petrol would be) what I can't afford is to travel to London everyday (£85 a week) that's insane. It's an extra 10 fucking miles to get to London.
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

It depends entirely on the line, its popularity and who runs it. Getting to Edinburgh from London is not only quicker, it's cheaper than doing the shorter trip as direct as I can from Cambridge to Preston. It's utterly retarded, though I don't see it changing any time soon.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Why don't you lot re-nationalize the railways?

I have read that the subsidy for the private operators is at least 2 times greater than it was when was under public control. While at the same time usage has only gone up 30%.

What a rort.
Master Arachnos
Youngling

Post by Master Arachnos »

Instead of building new lines next to existing ones how about they do something smart and upgrade and expand local light rail networks.

Namely get around to finishing the one in manchester, and expand the Tyne & Wear metro into County Durham..to name but 2..