Owls Head Truck & Tractor Show (56K prob'ly not)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Owls Head Truck & Tractor Show (56K prob'ly not)

Post by Simplicius »

The museum held the show Saturday the 19th, and I got myself over there to volunteer - something I'll be doing as regularly as possible from now on, as a photographer, airplane handler (and in the aircraft workshop!), and researcher.

The show had a really great exhibitor turnout, and I took lots more photos of antique and in some cases unusual machinery. There's a little of that here, but this is mostly general photography - some of the interesting but less good shots can come later. Criticism is welcome.

Oshkosh W-Series snowplow truck.

1937 Chevrolet.

1937 Chevrolet.

1907 Renault Vanderbilt racer.

Spuds.

Ford 9-N tractor.

Ford Model A flightline hack - the "Doodlebug."

1935 Auburn 851.

1941 Chevrolet street rod.

1923 Fokker C.IV.

Farmall 350.

Farmall 350.

Resting in the shade of a 1916 Sopwith Pup. The gentleman in approximate period costume is our aircraft conservator, and the gentleman on the left is an intern who is here in his second year from Paris, France. Fine fellows both.

1960 Walter snowblowing truck.

1927 Packard Model 426. This automobile will be auctioned off in August.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Owls Head Truck & Tractor Show (56K prob'ly not)

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Simplicius wrote:The museum held the show Saturday the 19th, and I got myself over there to volunteer - something I'll be doing as regularly as possible from now on, as a photographer, airplane handler (and in the aircraft workshop!), and researcher.
Fuck you and your excellent jobs!
The show had a really great exhibitor turnout, and I took lots more photos of antique and in some cases unusual machinery
That sounds more interesting, especially if you showed some ingenouity with the angles and/or lighting. There's amazing potential in something like that :D.

1937 Chevrolet.
Love this picture and the lines, although it could use a tiny bit of straightening and sharpening. Have you tried Google's Picasa program for that light editing work? I use it exclusively.
1907 Renault Vanderbilt racer.
Great image, love the lighting bouncing off of the gold, although an extreme closeup or experiemntal angle would have been more interesting, the frame lacks focus beyond the shiny lighting.
Excellent "American" photo, it looks as though it were taken straight out of a magazine :D.
I prefer the Chevrolet hood shot.
"Whistles". Nice car.
You should have moved to the other side and closer, to get a shot without the other car interfering. Lower angle too.
You need to be more daring, you're a bit "plain" with your shots, even if they are very well done and cut. Show some daring!
As i commented on Flickr, love these shots for the composition on the second one and the good colours.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_simplici ... 685185669/
Resting in the shade of a 1916 Sopwith Pup. The gentleman in approximate period costume is our aircraft conservator, and the gentleman on the left is an intern who is here in his second year from Paris, France. Fine fellows both.
Sorry, lacks interest. Maybe a shot with what looked like a bombing airplane above the target on the wing...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_simplici ... 685999152/
1960 Walter snowblowing truck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_simplici ... 685998408/
1927 Packard Model 426. This automobile will be auctioned off in August.
Again, nice vehicles, good shots, but they lack "Ooomph", a "pop out" energetic quality.
You need to be more adventurous, play with the angles, the location, don't be afraid to look silly and to get your hands, pants and stomache dirty. Go for different angles and not the same "car, full body shot, 70% vertical of the frame car, rest sky" as you do in most of the vehicle shots.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Post by Simplicius »

DEATH wrote:Fuck you and your excellent jobs!
That's why volunteering is so great - I can show up and pitch in without the pressure of having to be worth my wage, or keep set hours, or anything. I basically just go to the museum and the shows and do what I always do, except now I'm allowed to touch.

I'll have to see if I can fit the Model T driving classes in there somewhere.
That sounds more interesting, especially if you showed some ingenouity with the angles and/or lighting. There's amazing potential in something like that.
I didn't post any of those because they suffered from wicked blown skies. The light was pretty uneven that day, so a lot of my shots which otherwise would have been passably mediocre were obnoxiously messed up. I took about 250, and weeded it down to these 16. It's really too bad, though, since that 9-ton Lombard log hauler is a hell of a machine.
Love this picture and the lines, although it could use a tiny bit of straightening and sharpening. Have you tried Google's Picasa program for that light editing work? I use it exclusively.
Believe it or not, it is straight - the centerline is vertical. It's not perfectly centered, which is no surprise since I was shooting using the LCD screen to avoid parallax error. That the horizontal appears off is due to perspective, as the grille is convex in both directions.

As for sharpening, there is no real improvement I can make - you are seeing the combined effects of glare, camera noise, and imprecisely stamped, chromed parts. I've never been impressed by unsharp mask, and don't use it except in the process of scanning.
Great image, love the lighting bouncing off of the gold, although an extreme closeup or experiemntal angle would have been more interesting, the frame lacks focus beyond the shiny lighting.
This was shot indoors, and most any other angle would have resulted in the car being backlit be a tremendous open hangar door, and yet another blown sky.

There's no real composition here, but it showcases some of the car's salient design features well enough. I was pretty much larking about with this one.
Excellent "American" photo, it looks as though it were taken straight out of a magazine.
Straight out of a 1940s-vintage tractor-trailer in this case. And I would like to know what they stuffed those bags with. But thank you.
I prefer the Chevrolet hood shot.
Fair enough; I might too if the Chevy shot looked better - but that chrome shows overexposure worse than matte gray.
You should have moved to the other side and closer, to get a shot without the other car interfering. Lower angle too.
The reason I chose the side I did was because that was the side in sunlight, as you'll note by observing its shadow. Moving to the shadowed side would probably have resulted in yet another blown sky; as it is this one is well-lit. I was also at about the limit of my ability to crouch here.
You need to be more daring, you're a bit "plain" with your shots, even if they are very well done and cut. Show some daring!
I'm not much of an artist; it's rare for me to think "Ooh! I need to try this!" But it's nice to have a good picture even when it's not good photography.
As i commented on Flickr, love these shots for the composition on the second one and the good colours.
If I may ask, what do you find about the second one that distinguishes it from all of my other more-or-less-three-quarters shots, other than the portrait format?
Sorry, lacks interest. Maybe a shot with what looked like a bombing airplane above the target on the wing...
I'm not sure I understand what you're talking about here.
Again, nice vehicles, good shots, but they lack "Ooomph", a "pop out" energetic quality.
You need to be more adventurous, play with the angles, the location, don't be afraid to look silly and to get your hands, pants and stomache dirty. Go for different angles and not the same "car, full body shot, 70% vertical of the frame car, rest sky" as you do in most of the vehicle shots.
As I said, I'm no artist - but when I take a shot like that, it's meant merely to be an improvement on the "hey look a car *snaps shot from current position*" kind of showcase photo rather than a great work. At a car show, one pretty much has to take some photos of the cool cars for their own sake.