Another Power Armor drawing.

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Another Power Armor drawing.

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Yeah, I've relapsed into drawing mecha. I got bored at work and doodled a rougher version of this on some paperwork, afterwards I decided to transfer to my sketchbook and try to improve the design. I don't think it is a drastic departure from anything, but I do feel like I'm getting better at proportions and perspective...even with my busy schedule. In light of this, I want to improve it still, and am not done yet. I'm going to work on some action poses this week before heading to work.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: Another Power Armor drawing.

Post by Norade »

Looks pretty good, what scale would it happen to be?
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Not bad at all, but still needs work on the perspective. The viewers eyeline appears to fall about half way down the model, but when we look at the legs and feet it looks like the eyeline is meant to be worms-eye view in line with the bottom of the feet. It's making everything below the thighs look very odd. We should be looking down on the feet, instead of which we're looking straight at one of them. The forearm also looks a bit long. When a human arm is straight by our sides the hand should end midway down the thigh, but your guy looks like he could reach his knees no problem. I realise it's not meant to be exactly human, but it will look more gangly than powerful if it's got very long arms.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Kenny_10_Bellys wrote:Not bad at all, but still needs work on the perspective. The viewers eyeline appears to fall about half way down the model, but when we look at the legs and feet it looks like the eyeline is meant to be worms-eye view in line with the bottom of the feet. It's making everything below the thighs look very odd. We should be looking down on the feet, instead of which we're looking straight at one of them. The forearm also looks a bit long. When a human arm is straight by our sides the hand should end midway down the thigh, but your guy looks like he could reach his knees no problem. I realise it's not meant to be exactly human, but it will look more gangly than powerful if it's got very long arms.
Yeah, the perspective is a problem I'm trying to wrap my head around. :( Having it explained helps though, as I had trouble trying to visualize what I needed to work on, so thank you...you input is very helpful! As for the arm, I meant it to be kind of gangly, I thought it would be cool looking.
Norade wrote:Looks pretty good, what scale would it happen to be?
I haven't though much about it...I suppose it could accommodate a 6 ft tall person sitting in the torso, thus making it more of a small mech than a power armor. When i drew it I was thinking of scaling it either to battletech elemental armor, or to the mechs from the most boring anime ever: Gasaraki.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

I must commend you for being better and more creative than I in the area of sci-fi mechanical designs.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Kenny_10_Bellys
Jedi Knight

Post by Kenny_10_Bellys »

Glad to be of service. If you want to give yourself a guide just sketch a horizon line right across your drawing as a reminder, and then you'll know pretty much how your guy should look above or below that. Draw the horizon line low down and you'll do a drawing looking up at the mech, making it look very imposing, draw it 3/4 the way up and you'll do a drawing as if level with the shoulders and head.
visit http://www.kennyscrap.com for all your crap model needs.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

I'll be trying to work on this in GiMP sometime this week. This is a rough cleaning of the picture that I'll use to work on color and shading. Next time I will try to exercise proper perspective using what Kenny suggested earlier.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

That looks very intimidating and pragmatic for a mech.
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Big Orange wrote:That looks very intimidating and pragmatic for a mech.
Thank you, I try to stay away from anything to fanciful as I'm easily put off from enjoying mecha as I tend to analyze and scrutinize much of the media I consume in an effort to see how it works. I try to rely on my mechanical background as an aircraft mechanic and from visuals of power armor concepts for inspiration. I found that near-future "realistic" designs hold my interest much more than other more fantastic designs.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Agree, but it has a lot of bullet traps.
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Starglider wrote:
Agree, but it has a lot of bullet traps.
Yeah, but I figured it wouldn't be a problem as I intend this to be largely immune to small arms fire. Shooting it with a .50 caliber machine gun would pretty much defeat it outright though.
ZGundam
Padawan Learner

Post by ZGundam »

I like the look.

It also looks similar to the personal power armor used in the anime adaptation of Starship Troopers
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

I agree with ZGundam, and yeah, I tried to like Gasaraki, I really did. Especially how they would go "Oh Shit" whenever an MBT showed up. But I agree, it was the most boring Anime I ever watched. The first minute or so was okay, and then...
Utsanomiko
The Legend Rado Tharadus

Post by Utsanomiko »

Good mechanical visual design work as usual.
By His Word...
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Yeah, it's rare that a design is both pragmatic and intimidating at the same time.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
TheMuffinKing
Jedi Council Member

Post by TheMuffinKing »

Thanks for the positive input guys!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

The right foot looks a tad blurred to me in that last pic, but still very nicely designed.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"