30%
No
70%

Total votes: 82

Srelex
Jedi Master

Are you arachnophobic?

Post by Srelex »

Well, are you? If you're unsure, here's a very simple test. Simply look at this picture and gauge your reaction: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... sition.jpg
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Tasoth
Sith Devotee

Re: Are you arachnophobic?

Post by Tasoth »

First thing I noticed was what looks like an egg sack behind the spider. But naw, I'm fine with spiders.

Slugs, on the other hand....
I've committed the greatest sin, worse than anything done here today. I sold half my soul to the devil. -Ivan Isaac, the Half Souled Knight

Mecha Maniac
Geodd
Youngling

Post by Geodd »

This is my most recent encounter with a largish spider in my bedroom:

1: Sighting of the arachnid in question
2: Quick tactical retreat to kitchen
3: Psychological doping in form of a few glasses of scotch
4: Armored assault with vacuum-cleaner
5: Chemical assault with RAID
6 Possible victory
7: Strategic retreat to living-room couch
8: Sleep

But I'm not afraid of spiders, that would be silly, irrational even. Honestly
ShadowDragon8685
Village Idiot

Post by ShadowDragon8685 »

Yes, very. Not only am I arachnophobic, I am highly bugophobic in general. If in it's default state (IE, not taking into account individuals with amputations) it has more than four legs or less than two, it freaks me out.
CaptainChewbacca wrote:Dude...

Way to overwork a metaphor Shadow. I feel really creeped out now.
I am an artist, metaphorical mind-fucks are my medium.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

You're right, Tasoth, there *IS* an egg sack there. I did have to go have a second look to be sure.

Still, it's a Wolf Spider. As long as you don't bother it, it won't bother you. If it was inside, I'd use a broom to shoo it outside where it could go back to hunting.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

That's a cool-looking spider, I'd keep one as a pet, but it'd probably eat me in my sleep or something.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

I love spiders, but ants freak me out.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I'm okay with spiders, for the most part. They stay on the ceiling, I stay on the floor, everything's kewl.

Honestly, it depends on the spider, and where I run across it.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Spiders freak me right out (dunno why) but I usually just step on them or relocate them outside. I don't go to the extremes of vacuum/broom warfare or hairspray flamethrowers.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Well, I'd like to be, but if my wife is on a chair or the wood needs splitting or the garden needs weeding, there's not much I can do but suck it up and deal.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Werrf
Youngling

Post by Werrf »

I'm not, my wife is, and I'm probably sleeping on the settee tonight because of that picture in the first link :D

Mind you, I did just get through moving one for her by hand, which should at least buy me a blanket for the night.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

I have to say that I am very mildly arachnophobia. It was bad when I was a young child, but exposure via books and nature programs lessened my fear.

Still, if it's any bigger than a quarter, I'll have a slight hesitation before acting. Luckily they tend to more rather slowly though.

While not arachnids, centipedes are the things that really freak me out, partially due to their size and speed.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

I don't mind spiders really, except when dealing with all the annoying cobwebs they leave behind.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

I always hated trying get to these big boys when their in their tangled webs.

You go to hit them and the whole web moves and spider with it. So I used to resort to hairspray. :twisted:
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
RazorOutlaw
Padawan Learner

Post by RazorOutlaw »

I've never been diagnosed, so, no I wouldn't say that I do. I had my moments when the sight of a spider would scare me, cause me to jump back and make a lot of noise. A combination of being a Boy Scout (and living with the possibility that they could crawl in my sleeping bag whether I liked it or not), seeing them in my home, and learning more about them allowed me to deal with it.

To do this day I still get uncomfortable if I see them in my room but for the most part I don't feel a need to stop what I'm doing. They leave me alone AND they take care of all of the other insects in this place.
Sig.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

I generally think that everything people are phobic over are adorable. Snakes, spiders, scorpions etc.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

LadyTevar wrote:Still, it's a Wolf Spider. As long as you don't bother it, it won't bother you. If it was inside, I'd use a broom to shoo it outside where it could go back to hunting.
One of those bit me once on a camping trip. Didn't see it til it dropped out of my pant leg. Stung like a sumbitch.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Commander 598
Jedi Knight

Post by Commander 598 »

I have a spider bite on on my leg about two months ago, I don't recall actually _getting_ it.

I do not like spiders...
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:I generally think that everything people are phobic over are adorable. Snakes, spiders, scorpions etc.
This is because you are strange.
Commander 598 wrote:I have a spider bite on on my leg about two months ago, I don't recall actually _getting_ it.

I do not like spiders...
It probably got you while you were asleep.
Lief
Transphobic Ignoramus

Post by Lief »

Spiders are cool, I like spiders.

Wasps are cool, but I was stung by an entire nest when I was 3, I hate wasps.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I don't really like having spiders crawling around near me, and particularly on the floor (if I see one in either such position, I'll usually kill it). On the other hand, if I see a non-dangerous variety up in a corner by the ceiling, I'll leave it alone as long as it doesn't have an egg-sack or anything like that (particularly since the normal house spiders usually keep the possible hobo spiders out of the house, or so I've heard).

I wasn't weirded out by the picture - I actually think spiders are kind of cool to look at . .. provided they are on the other side of a piece of glass and can't touch me.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
eion
Jedi Master

Post by eion »

Spiders eat bugs
Spiders don't eat me
Spiders are awesome!
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Post by Spoonist »

Nope. Always liked them because they take care of flies and other nasty shit.

However visiting downunder had me worried on several ocations, me not knowing the difference of the local ones.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Spoonist wrote:Nope. Always liked them because they take care of flies and other nasty shit.

However visiting downunder had me worried on several ocations, me not knowing the difference of the local ones.
Easy: keep away from the ones that have a red stripe on their back (who have a habit of taking up home under the toilet seat). There are others, like the funnel-webs, but I've never seen them before and I've been living here for 10 years. Honestly in most parts of the country, you should be more concerned about the snakes.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Wolf Spiders are cool, one of the few spiders that actually have any maternal instinct, even carrying their young around.

Though if I found one here I'd be tempted to call in the RSPCA or someone to move it, because it would be a wee bit out of place and probably better off being looked after.

We only have weaksauce spiders in this country, the biggest will maybe be 1.5", and anyone who is scared of them really needs to find something bigger and nastier to be scared of. (I have several that trundle around my flat, there used to be one, but I came back one day and the bathroom ceiling was covered in tiny baby spiders.)