Rebellion

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Rebellion

Post by Stormin »

Since this is my first attempt at a fic on this site, I would enjoy any comments and would appreciate some tips and assistance even more.

Rebellion
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

wow...it is so bad it does not even rate a 'wow that sucks' :shock:
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

As somebody whose original story has been ignored too, I'd gladly review it! :wink:

The general style of writing appears slightly pulp-like to me, but I assume that's the intention. The mood of the story is very dark, and I also like that.
The "mindbenders" are something which warrants elaboration further in the story - and I think they add a certain uniqueness.

One idea I really find novel is that the futuristic pistols look like flintlocks!!

Keep writing. Even if the "mainstream" ignore it, it's still worth reading.
"Hi there, would you like to have a cookie?"

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:As somebody whose original story has been ignored too, I'd gladly review it! :wink:

The general style of writing appears slightly pulp-like to me, but I assume that's the intention. The mood of the story is very dark, and I also like that.
The "mindbenders" are something which warrants elaboration further in the story - and I think they add a certain uniqueness.

One idea I really find novel is that the futuristic pistols look like flintlocks!!

Keep writing. Even if the "mainstream" ignore it, it's still worth reading.
Thanks. I will take the time to look yours over now :)

Pulp was pretty much what I was aiming for, and considering that it is taking place in a galaxy where a persons very thoughts are government property, the dark atmosphere would be hard to dispel.

And those guns are flintlocks. Anachronism and dueling code is currently in fasion. I did not want a story where everyone was going around saying 'wow! look at my brand new disruptor pistol!' Dueling code and WMD's are not a good mix ;)

I got a bit more done since I posted this, I just have not uploaded it yet.

Edit: I finished off the first chapter and am now working on the 2nd (which takes place before the prologue)
Last edited by Stormin on 2003-07-26 09:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Chapter 2 is in progress. I will update it whenever I have written a large enough chunk.

http://megatech.tk/~stormin/rebellion2.htm
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Stormin wrote:Chapter 2 is in progress. I will update it whenever I have written a large enough chunk.

Very well-written, but what is the purpose of that game the Mindbenders were playing? :?

"No, actually I would HATE to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!"
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Simon H.Johansen wrote:
Stormin wrote:Chapter 2 is in progress. I will update it whenever I have written a large enough chunk.

Very well-written, but what is the purpose of that game the Mindbenders were playing? :?
Simple amusement. The objective is to create the more complex or difficult pattern in the magnetic fluid. In this, a single artistic flaw can be worth more points than the most beautiful snowflake pattern because an intentional flaw is harder to place without ruining your pattern.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Well chapter 2 is finished. I will try to write a chapter every weekend and this time I will not post until it is finished.

Any opinions on the dual running timeline format or the story itself? Any tips would also be welcome, I know I am not very good but I do wish to improve and without feedback, I cannot. Really, I would prefer an honest criticism and analysis to a simple 'pretty good but it could be better'
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

The dual timeline format is acceptable, as long you make it clear that there's a distinction between the two timelines. Otherwise, it'll be really confusing.

BTW, I find that the wallpaper on your site makes the text slightly hard to read.

BTW#2, I suggest a future chapter largely concentrated on describing the Mindbenders, their abilities, history, origins, their nature, etc... It might slow the story down a little, but some things simply need to be explained.

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

I was planning to make the trip Beta is taking a chance to explain mindbenders. And I will change the background. I guess I will stick with white
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Well writing chapter 3 now. Maybe I will be able to post tonight, only a week late :(
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Doesn't matter if it's delayed - as long it's well written, I have no trouble with it.

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

good? that is a joke. I suck at exposition in large blocks. Hopefully I did not mess it up too bad and I decided to get the plot rolling a bit faster now by revealing Khaldan's plan. Next chapter will take place in the past again and will involve a battle between modern warships.

http://megatech.tk/~stormin/rebellion3.htm
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

It's not that bad - I definately liked the expansion upon the Mindbenders. So far, it's enjoyable.

BTW - is Separothe named after Sephiroth??

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

I just looked him up and no, I have not played final fantasy whatever that was. I probably heard the name before though and remembered it because it was so strange.

And how come you are the only one who has said anything about this while there are like 250 views?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I'll read it tomorrow. How's that?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Thank you. As I said before, I need harsh critics or else I cannot improve anything. I decided to make this story my ticket into the writers guild so I don't want to show up on their doorstep with a bucket full of dogcrap :D
Peregrin Toker
Emperor's Hand

Post by Peregrin Toker »

Stormin wrote:And how come you are the only one who has said anything about this while there are like 250 views?
I don't know, but very new authors often get little attention.

I've noticed that my fic, The Wormhole War, is getting increasing commentators as its expanding. Maybe it's because people have more to say as the plot develops.

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

I hope actually having some sort of action in the chapter I am writing may get some comment. I usually try to keep away from too many fighting scenes because I have no experience or info on how they would be done.