Sleep Apnea Suffererers?

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Andrew Joshua Talon
Youngling

Sleep Apnea Suffererers?

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

Alas, I rarely get more than three or four hours of sleep a night. My dad's got this weird breathing machine he puts on at night so he can reach deep sleep. Anyone like to share their experiences with sleep apnea, if you or someone you know does?

I haven't had a true dream in a month, oi...
"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics..." Admiral Rickover

Wolverine: Woah! It's me...
Cyclops: Oh yeah? Prove it!
Wolverine: ... You're a dick.
Cyclops: ... Okay then...
Andrew Joshua Talon
Youngling

Post by Andrew Joshua Talon »

Er, sorry for the typo of the title, oops...
"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics..." Admiral Rickover

Wolverine: Woah! It's me...
Cyclops: Oh yeah? Prove it!
Wolverine: ... You're a dick.
Cyclops: ... Okay then...
Slowhand
Redshirt
Location: Sitting atop Victor's rack. That's good vibrations!

Post by Slowhand »

Well, I have an uncle who suffers quite badly from apnea and my mother's been known to saw more than her share of logs. I also have a cousin who had some kind of surgery performed on his throat area to help control his snoring. And I, too, used to rattle the windows and find myself getting very, VERY broken sleep but sometimes I was woke up by the sheer verocity of a snore. Usually, I found that pretty damned funny. <SNORE!> "What? Who?! Oh..." <snicker, snicker> <snore, snore>

But I don't snore anymore. I can't really explain it. I'm still a fat bastard who smokes.

BTW, I know that apnea isn't always related to apnea, but *severe* snoring is usually a symptom.
Once it was known as the Codeine Hippo, but so as not to influence a legion of teenage fans, it was renamed the Cosmic Hippo. Most often seen flying through the depths of space, to catch one is to be near the Flecktones themselves.

With my spear and magic helmet,

~Slowhand
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

I don't know if there's a cure, but what I've found to be truly helpful is toooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,vfhj hmk ffffffffmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
ArthurDent
Youngling

Post by ArthurDent »

I have both central and obstructive apneas. Central is where the brain "forgets" to fire the signal to the lungs that makes them inhale. Obstructive are caused by a blockage of the airway. I averaged 68 apneatic events an hour when I had my sleep test. Three doctors said that without treatment I wouldn't make it to my 60s. :shock:

I currently use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) set at 12 centimeters. Since starting use of the CPAP I've felt more rested and energetic. I also dream, which I hadn't done in a number of years.

I did have to have surgery (septoplasty) to fix my deviated septum and I may still need to have further surgery to remove part of my throat to keep it from closing so easily.

All in all I've had a very positive experience with apnea now that I'm on my regimen of treatment.
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions every day, I say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny." --Ronald Reagan
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

I never snore, but a friend of mine once snored so heavily he woke me up. I told him to shut the hell up, and he did. I'm convinced that is the end-all of snoring cures.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

That is the reason I had my tonsils removed on the 1st of this month.