Ancients - Necron similarities [Minor Lost City Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Ancients - Necron similarities [Minor Lost City Spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Am I the only one who's noticed a good number of similarities between the tecnology of the Ancients and the Necrons from 40K?

They both have interstellar range portal things, stupidly fast FTL (I presume the Ancients had similar abilities to the Asgard in that regard at the least), some really nice genetic abilities and even a little bug swarm weapon that can consume both ground targets and in sufficient numbers, starships.

And to induce some more amusing conjecture, would they make a good set of villans for Stargate: Atlantis?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

having no clue about the wh40k series i can only take your word for it, but it does sound like there are similarities certainly, another homage?

Ancients villians, or necrons villians?

Im hoping these wraiths aren't a crappy rehash of the goa'uld
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I think it's much a case of thinking along the same lines than a homage, I doubt SG1 would bother to homage 40K.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Actually, my question is this: Did the Ancients come from Earth, or did they simply leave a lot of genetic material here?

Make that two questions: If they did come from Earth, where/what are they in the fossil records?
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

LadyTevar wrote:Actually, my question is this: Did the Ancients come from Earth, or did they simply leave a lot of genetic material here?

Make that two questions: If they did come from Earth, where/what are they in the fossil records?
Ancients appear to be humans who acheived sufficiently advanced technology.

You'd think the Gou'ald would think this one over before enslaving them, but..
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SirNitram wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:Actually, my question is this: Did the Ancients come from Earth, or did they simply leave a lot of genetic material here?

Ancients appear to be humans who acheived sufficiently advanced technology.

You'd think the Gou'ald would think this one over before enslaving them, but..
That's what's confusing me... iirc many Ancient Relics pre-date Cro-Mag. So were the Ancients another homid race, or were they something even older?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

LadyTevar wrote:That's what's confusing me... iirc many Ancient Relics pre-date Cro-Mag. So were the Ancients another homid race, or were they something even older?
Practiaclly all the Ancient Relics are at least 3 million years old. Since thats about the time the Ancient race got taken out by that plague.

The mass time travel relic which was an Ancient's desperate attempt to wind back the clock couldnt be much younger than 3 million years based on the speed at which that Ancient Girl died from that plague.

Most relics are almost imposible to date, since the Ancient's biult to last and any reference material around the relics didnt last long enough. So when they found that gate in Antarctica its a good benchmark to measure the age of Ancient's relics.

The Stargates however can be biult by other races, but the Gate network has been up & running for at least 3 million years.

As for why no Ancient technology was found on Earth, apparently their capitial city teleported to another galaxy as a safty measure after the Wraiths unleashed the plague.
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Okay... so saying they 'predate humanity' would be a better way of stating this.

So.......... if the Ancients *did* come from Earth, and they died 3million years ago... what did they evolve from?

Were they Fish/Squid? Amphibian? Repitilan? Dinosaurs?

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

I'm not sure, I think humanity might be the ancients idea of a nice legacy to leave behind....we're their bastard grandkids.....with the potential to head off down the same evolutionary lines.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Daniel, during "Full Circle" says something like "we're descended from the Ancients" or something like that. That could come to mean that yes, like the above poster said, the Ancients did a little genetic engineering to create the first primates and make sure they evolve toward humans.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Tragic
Padawan Learner

Post by Tragic »

I believe the ancients did not come from earth but used it for an outpost as it was said in lost city part 2. But may have left some dna or messed with some old species on earth to mak ethe humans in the series.
"The point of war isn't to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" Gen. George Patton.
jenat-lai
Jedi Knight

Post by jenat-lai »

kinda like "Crap where all gonna die... hmm this primate would make a good template for our genetic material." *experiment and manipulate DNA*
Yay we just made Homo Sapien-like things. now we go away and wait a few million years for them to repopulate the galaxy, and maybe out legacy will be saved.
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

Personally, I've always thought Goa'uld tech looked Necron-ish. Particularly their ships.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Well, I meant in function, not style :)

Oh, and another similarity, I'm assuming that Anubis' ship weapon was a derivative of Ancient weapons, and as such, Lightning looking weapons.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

LadyTevar wrote:Were they Fish/Squid? Amphibian? Repitilan? Dinosaurs?
They where Human, more or less, visually identical, very close genetically too IIRC.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Grand Admiral Ancaris
Jedi Knight

Post by Grand Admiral Ancaris »

NecronLord wrote:Well, I meant in function, not style :)
Why can't it be both? :wink:

Oh, and another similarity, I'm assuming that Anubis' ship weapon was a derivative of Ancient weapons, and as such, Lightning looking weapons.
Anubis's mothership has a bit of a Necron look to it, and the lightning from it's main weapon certainly did remind me of Necron Lightning Arcs, but the Ancient weapon from the Lost City part 2 looked too organic.
Grand Admiral Ancaris

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege." --- Unknown

"Do not meddle in the affairs of Lumps, for they are always angry and never subtle." ---Dalton

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." ---Euripides