Tractor beam questions

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Stormtrooper THX-1138
Youngling

Tractor beam questions

Post by Stormtrooper THX-1138 »

Anybody have any information as to the range/towing capacity (I guess) of a Star Destroyer's main tractor beam emitters? A friend of mine asked me and I honestly had no idea what to tell him.Any help would be appreciated.
"Look, Sir ! Droids !"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

It appears to be able to push/pull/maneuver an asteroid as large as an asteroid with a diameter nearly equivalent of the main hangar itself. It can move these asteroids quickly, but it cannot be used on a maneuvering/resisting ship larger than a snub fighter, and even then only with great difficulty.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Stormtrooper THX-1138
Youngling

Post by Stormtrooper THX-1138 »

Any idea as to range ?
"Look, Sir ! Droids !"
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Under a Light mintue definatly but seems to accurate enough to Grap snub-fighters moving at low fractions of C(.05C or so, .005C more likley)

Though however from TLC we have evidance of Frigit sized craft being held in place (But that was multiple(Probably 3) Trator mounts)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

How much power does it use?

As for the DS tractor beams, I'd say they have similar power, because they're used for similar purposes, and the DS has a lot of them.
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Tractor beam range seems to be limited by the maneuvering of the target, more than a physical limitation. Note that the Falcon in ESB was MUCH closer to Executor than it was to the DS when it was tractored in ANH. The difference was that it was maneuvering in ESB, but not in ANH. This indicates a highly limited ability to target a maneuvering object, which is further confirmed by the tractor beam target selections in the novels, which are primarily non-maneuvering targets. Even capital ships appear to be able to dodge tractor beams, such as the Tantive IV, which was MUCH closer to Devastator in ANH before it was captured in the tractor beam than the much smaller, but non-maneuvering Falcon was to the DS in the same movie.

Tractor beams do not appear to be a serious drain on a capital ship's power reserves when used sparingly and in the normal course of combat (recovering crippled ships, etc.), but they DO put a drain on power when used to move very large objects, like large asteroids, very quickly.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Acutal Ossus the Tantive IV was in a tractor beam, That much can be surmised by various EU and elsewhere statments that put Blockade Runners Speed as twice that or more of SD, If the SD was catching up they had to be slowed down by the tractor and when the Engines died along with the Reactor they finaly where able to tractor it

Also remeber Thrawn's tatic of using enemy ships as extra sets of shields?

He used Tractors to hold those in place

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Yeah he practically vaped one side of the ship then turned that side against him and used it as a shield.

Pg. 393-394: On his[Pellaeon's] status board, a section of the Chimaera's shield schematic went red."Get that starboard shield back up," he ordered, giving the sky in that direction a quick scan. There were half a dozen warships out there, all of them firing like mad, with a battle station in backstop position behind them. If their sensor showed that the Chimaera's starboard shields were starting to go--
"Starboard turbolasers: Focus all fire on the Assault Frigate at thirty-two mark forty," Thrawn spoke up calmly. "Concentrate on the starboard side of the ship only."
The Chimaera gun crews responded with a withering hail of laser fire. The Assault Frigate tried to swerve away; but even as it turned, its entire starboard side seemed to flash with vaporized metal.

(ref: Heir to the Empire)
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.