Finished Dark Tower 7 and have Question... (SPOILER WARNING)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Finished Dark Tower 7 and have Question... (SPOILER WARNING)

Post by Icehawk »

MAJOR SPOILER WARNING:

Well, I just recently finnished DT 7. While I thought the ending was decent, it left me with a burning question. How the hell did Roland keep getting beamed back in time over and over to redo his quest when IIRC it was mentioned that his world and the world of Stephen King were worlds where time can only flow forward?
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Icehawk
Jedi Council Member

Post by Icehawk »

*Ventures back into thread and here's crickets chirping*

Hmmmm, I see.... :) I take it not many people here have read the final book yet, but surely at least someone else here has. Bob the Gunslinger, you out there? I'd like to here your comments on the ending and this possible plot hole if you have any.
"The Cosmos is expanding every second everyday, but their minds are slowly shrinking as they close their eyes and pray." - MC Hawking
"It's like a kids game. A morbid, blood-soaked Tetris game..." - Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)
Cthulhu-chan
Padawan Learner

Post by Cthulhu-chan »

There is no plot hole. You're taking the musings and gut feelings of the characters at face value. However close (or far) to the truth they were, Rolands ultimate fate shows that there is far more to the workings of the Dark Tower and the multiverse than they could have imagined.
"Heaven is an American salary, a Chinese cook, an English house, and a Japanese wife. Hell is defined as having a Chinese salary, an English cook, a Japanese apartment, and an American wife." -- James H. Kabbler III.
Anhaga
Padawan Learner

Post by Anhaga »

I'd tend to agree.

The ending of the Dark Tower may be one of the most horrifying things I've ever read though.
"Hwær cwom mearg? Hwær cwom mago?
Hwær cwom maþþumgyfa?
Hwær cwom symbla gesetu?
Hwær sindon seledreamas?
Eala beorht bune!
Eala byrnwiga!
Eala þeodnes þrym!
Hu seo þrag gewat,
genap under nihthelm,
swa heo no wære"- The Wanderer
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

It's also possible that he must do it all in slightly different key worlds with slightly different incarnations of his ka-tet, etc.
One theory that I've heard is that this was the 19th time through for him. Next time, everything will be in the land of 20.

I really hope the next Crimson King isn't such a sissy.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

And Flagg, too. His death disappointed me, and I didn't like the fact that King made him Walter. I prefered the idea that Walter had really died in the Golgotha.

As for how Roland got pulled back, well, it's the Dark Tower, the point on which the universe spins, the nexus of space and time. I think it can break the rules if it wants.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Forgive the double post, but I want to tack my own question onto this thread. It was my understanding that the tower won't stop resetting Roland's quest until he has the horn of the Eld when he reaches the tower. But how the hell is that possible if he lost the thing at Jericho Hill and the tower pulls him back to after that?
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Bob the Gunslinger

Trogdor wrote:Forgive the double post, but I want to tack my own question onto this thread. It was my understanding that the tower won't stop resetting Roland's quest until he has the horn of the Eld when he reaches the tower. But how the hell is that possible if he lost the thing at Jericho Hill and the tower pulls him back to after that?
Perhaps it pulled him into a different when and where--a keystone world where the Roland in thet universe actually did pick up the horn of Gilead.

Either that or the Tower is so immensely powerful that it can alter all of space-time on a whim, which would imply that it was never really in danger but just using the Crimson King to teach Roland some all-important lesson and toy with billions of worlds.

The horn seems to represent some step toward salvation, some growth of character that Roland gets to keep with him in the next loop, so it may not even be the original horn. Maybe it's just a magic sigul that appears where ka wants it.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I suppose, but the horn was so obviously ripped off from the oliphant in the Song of Roland I'd rather hoped it would be irrelevant.

Bob the Gunslinger

Trogdor wrote:I suppose, but the horn was so obviously ripped off from the oliphant in the Song of Roland I'd rather hoped it would be irrelevant.
The symbolism is different, so it was okay with me.

Now if Roland were to blow it until his brain exploded (or hemorraged, whatever), then it would be a problem.

Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Well, the nature of all this meant it had to be a closed loop...the Dark Tower novels are really all about creativity and the act of writing...of forging a tale....which inevitably comes back on itself and is told again...

As for what the ending means in universe, the time Roland is sent back to is the only one it could have been. Rolands existence is meant to be bounded by King's tale....and thus, his loop returns to the opening line of the first novel...

As for the horn, the voice of the tower, of Gan, says to him that perhaps this time it will be different. This time the song of Gan is different, the notes slightly changed so the work which King will produce will not have so tragic an ending for Roland...that the next draft will be better ;)
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire