Condi nominated to Replace Powell...

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Condi nominated to Replace Powell...

Post by MKSheppard »

LINKA

Darth Vader to the rescue!
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Powell resigned? What prompted that?
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Powell resigned? What prompted that?
Deciding that the humiliation of being Bush's cabana-boy for four years was more than enough.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Personaly (after reading his autobiography he published before working for Bush), I think Powel stayed on because he simply is a soldier. He signed on for a for year term with the Bush team and he would thus give four years to the best of his ability, no questions. He would not cut and run, however much he might want to, before his time was up.

Which is a shame given how completly ignored he was in the administration and how he was humiliated at the UN after being forced to read Bush's wonderful cherry picked dossier...
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

CBC.CA
CBC wrote: WASHINGTON - U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell is quitting his job in President George W. Bush's cabinet.

Powell made the announcement on Monday, although he says he will stay on until Bush names his replacement.

Rumours have circulated for months that Powell had no desire to serve a second term if Bush was re-elected. Powell confirmed he's been telling Bush for months he wanted to leave, although he won't explain why.

Powell is widely seen as the only senior cabinet official who tried to dissuade the president from invading Iraq nearly two years ago. The former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff warned Bush the U.S. would be entangled in Iraq for years to come. Bush all but assured Americans that would never happen.

Eventually, Powell became Bush's most credible advocate for the invasion. It was Powell who was sent to present the allegedly iron-clad evidence that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction to the world at the United Nations.

But no weapons of mass destruction have ever been found in Iraq and Powell has since said publicly he was disappointed with the quality of the evidence he used to argue for war.

"He got snookered himself and he feels he was taken for a ride. No question he bought into it," said Powell biographer Karen DeYoung.

"The rest of the world will mourn Powell leaving because they felt he was a person that they could get to try and get the president to back off from some of these unilateral approaches for dealing with the world's problems," said former assistant defence secretary Lawrence Korb.

Before leaving centre stage Powell laid out the staggering diplomatic agenda facing the president in his new term: Iraq, North Korea, Iran, Sudan, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Powell's departure is seen by many in Washington as a victory for more conservative figures surrounding Bush, including Vice-President Dick Cheney, Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan was asked if Powell was leaving because he has too often been a dissenting voice in the Bush cabinet. But McClellan chose instead to praise Powell for being a "tireless and dedicated public servant throughout his life. He made a commitment to serve the president for his first term and we appreciate all that he has done."

Rice and UN Ambassador John Danforth have been touted as possible successors.

Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew said he was sorry to hear about Powell's decision. Pettigrew called Powell "a great friend of Canada."

Three other members of Bush's cabinet tendered their resignations on Monday: Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham, Agriculture Secretary Ann Veniman and Education Secretary Rod Paige.
Apperently it's for personal reasons. Is it standard to lie to make your President look good if you leave in conflict?

Note that I don't beleive he was forced out. He says he wants to return to private life and I believe it. Powell has always seemed like an honest stand up guy. I don't see any reason to doubt him.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
egyptfrk
Padawan Learner

Post by egyptfrk »

Yes, I remember hearing him say that he only would serve one term. I respect Condi as an intellectual and a politician, but her policies scare me. Traditionally the administration has a Sec of State that leans a little more towards diplomacy which (in theory) balances out the Sec of Defense. So pending her official appointment...things could get interesting in the next four years. :?
There's too much blood in my caffiene system!
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade other countries.
Image SoS:NBA Because boys are icky
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Mrs. CmdrWilkens wrote:Yes, I remember hearing him say that he only would serve one term. I respect Condi as an intellectual and a politician, but her policies scare me. Traditionally the administration has a Sec of State that leans a little more towards diplomacy which (in theory) balances out the Sec of Defense. So pending her official appointment...things could get interesting in the next four years. :?
The last four years weren't interesting enough? ;)
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Fuck. :evil:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
egyptfrk
Padawan Learner

Post by egyptfrk »

"Four more wars..."
We can only hope not :evil: [/quote]
There's too much blood in my caffiene system!
When women are depressed they either eat or go shopping. Men invade other countries.
Image SoS:NBA Because boys are icky
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Mrs. CmdrWilkens wrote:Yes, I remember hearing him say that he only would serve one term. I respect Condi as an intellectual and a politician, but her policies scare me. Traditionally the administration has a Sec of State that leans a little more towards diplomacy which (in theory) balances out the Sec of Defense. So pending her official appointment...things could get interesting in the next four years. :?
"We have outlawed Continental Europe, let the bombing commence."
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Stormbringer wrote:"We have outlawed Continental Europe, let the bombing commence."
As long as they spare Italy & Switzerland I can live with it, I need my Armani glasses and Swiss chocolate damnit!
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Grendel
Redshirt

Post by Grendel »

I admit that I am disappointed Powell is leaving however I like and respect Condi. I think that instead of a step back in the Secretary of State position we are taking a step sideways. The real question pertains to the position of National Security Advisor and who will occupy that particular position.

We shall see....
Lo! I am Grendel!
Ruler of the moors and devourer of men!

Um... has anyone seen my arm about?
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

aerius wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:"We have outlawed Continental Europe, let the bombing commence."
As long as they spare Italy & Switzerland I can live with it, I need my Armani glasses and Swiss chocolate damnit!
Switzerland is traditionally neutral and Italy is part of the 'Coalition' in Iraq, so your Armani and chocolates are safe.

It'd suck to be in Germany or France, though. :twisted:
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Pcm979
Rabid Monkey

Post by Pcm979 »

Neutral?! You're either with us or against us! :wink:
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Anyone just see The Daily Show's headlines on Powell resigning? They had a little graphic with Powell's face and the caption "Powell Movement." :lol:
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

I dunno...what has Condi done in the last four years? I certainly haven't heard much. Most of the political cartoons I read show her as a parrot mimicking Bush.
JADAFETWA
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Condi is a parrot who's smarter than her owner: Not only does she say nothing, but she says it in enough words that a casual observer will assume she actually is saying something.
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.