Any Opera fans out there?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Any Opera fans out there?

Post by irishmick79 »

I recently picked up a recording of Richard Wagner's Lohengrin - absolutely amazing music. Wagner's ability to put poetry into music is incredible. After picking up this recording, I've been lusting for a massive 14 disc recording by Sir George Solti of the entire ring cyle of operas. It's almost $200, so it's hard to justify dropping that kind of dough, unfortunately.

Do you guys listen to opera at all? What are your favorites?
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Admiral Bravo
Padawan Learner

Post by Admiral Bravo »

I personally dont like opera that much as I cant usually understand what is happening, but I do know a few people who do like opera.
"Just once I'd like to destroy a starship that we did'nt pay for!"- Imperial Admiral Hurkk at the Battle of Oovo IV

"Whats the last thing to go through an Imperial scout troopers head when he hits a tree? His afterburner."- joke told by rebel forces on Endor.

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

Post by irishmick79 »

Admiral Bravo wrote:I personally dont like opera that much as I cant usually understand what is happening, but I do know a few people who do like opera.
I've found that the really good recordings come with a playbook with lyrics - very helpful, because I didn't know too much about the stories either.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

I'm pissed off that I didn't buy tickets to the Ring when it was on here. Apparently it went hideously over budget because they decided to go overboard with the water curtains and the rings of fire. Ah well, it'smy own damn fault.

The few times I've been to the opera, I've enjoyed it, but 3 operas does not an expert make, alas!
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
haas mark
Official SD.Net Insomniac

Post by haas mark »

Mozart's Requiem is never a letdown, and even though I'm not a huge fan of opera, I'd prefer to see it performed than to hear it recorded.
Robert-Conway.com | lunar sun | TotalEnigma.net

Hot Pants à la Zaia | BotM Lord Monkey Mod OOK!
SDNC | WG | GDC | ACPATHNTDWATGODW | GALE | ISARMA | CotK: [mew]

Formerly verilon

R.I.P. Eddie Guerrero, 09 October 1967 - 13 November 2005

Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

We very recently had a thread on this topic, I'm afraid. Locked.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman