Masks

UF: Stories written by users, both fanfics and original.

Moderator: LadyTevar

Lusankya
ChiCom

Masks

Post by Lusankya »

This is something I wrote aaaages ago. It's been edited somewhat, but it's basically based on a nightmare I had (well, part of the nightmare anyway).

Enjoy.

Masks

I will always remember my first encounter with the Devil. Each time I try to recall it, the memory surfaces as vividly as if it were happening once again. To describe the experience, however, is difficult, and it may prove to be beyond my skills to describe it.

I believe I may have met him before I had experienced any of his power firsthand.

I don’t know how many of us there were. A dozen. Perhaps more.

He was among us, wearing a long hooded cloak. He just walked up to Bridget, my friend, and stabbed her in the heart.

She died almost immediately. I was so shocked that I didn’t even thing to attempt to stop her assailant.

I saw him again later, without the cloak.

In his dark blue clothing he looked incredibly handsome.

It seemed to me that he was only fourteen, although I knew from his eyes that he was much older. Somehow, I implicitly knew who he was.

He was standing behind his counter on the second storey of the mall, with giant tin soldiers guarding his back. They were new to the mall and were too oppressive for my taste. Most other people liked them, and said that they gave an air of structure to the otherwise lawless mall.

As people passed him, he would ring his bell, inviting them to come and buy the masks he was selling.

Nobody went by without putting on one of those masks. They were of many colours. I was people wearing orange and red, while others wore green, brown or yellow. Not once did I see a blue mask, however. It seemer that this colour was reserved only for those in the upper echelons of evil.

I had no choice but to pass him. The crowd forced me in that direction. He looked at me intensely, as if he had been waiting for me to come. He began to ring his bell harder: a summons for me to come to him.

“I have a mask for you.” He gestured to a solitary blue mask lying amid the dull earthy colours that predominated throughout the stall. “Put it on.”

I took one look at that mask and ran.

Eventually I had to stop. I had reached the end of the mall and there was no way down. I hid behind a stand that had been left in front of a store. I knew that it afforded me no protection, but its bulk at least parodied safety.

I was fortunate. Rather than come to me himself, the Devil had hoped to lure me to him, by sending out a masked person who I knew to assure me of my safety.

“Why don’t you come out?” she asked. “The Master’s very fond of you.”

I shook my head. It was dangerous out there.

“You let him kill Bridget.” She said. “You didn’t even try to stop the Master then.”

Hearing this, I cried. I could hardly breathe. I didn’t want to remember that.

My friend called over to the Devil, saying that I was not capable of fighting. My fear returned. I left my hiding place and ran through the crowd to the stairs.

I never reached them. The crowd pressed in around me, urged on by the Devil. I was trapped on the edge of the balcony. I could see the Devil coming towards me, his shoulders half a head higher than the next tallest person there. He had aged considerably in the few minutes since I first saw him. Although I couldn’t see it, I knew he had the mask with him, to force me to join him.

I climbed the railing and jumped down to the ground floor of the mall, the Devil’s magic cushioning my fall. He wanted me alive, it seemed. Reaching the ground, I ran. I could feel the Devil’s glaring eyes following me.

I had friends outside waiting for me. I went up to them immediately, thinking that I would be safe with them.

But they too had been given a mask.

Have a very nice day

-Lusankya
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Free Durian - Last updated 27 Dec
"Why does it look like you are in China or something?" - havokeff
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Ah good, I remembered reading this sometime ago. I liked it before, very nice, very disturbing.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Rather...nightmarey. Creepy.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Weird. But in a good way. Impressive. Creepy in a creepy way. Most impressive.
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

That wasn't even the scariest part of the nightmare.

Unfortunately though, me running to Sam Newman for protection from a pregnant demon teacher in a shimmering dark blue dress because he's the nicest thing around is not something that translates across cultures well.
"I would say that the above post is off-topic, except that I'm not sure what the topic of this thread is, and I don't think anybody else is sure either."
- Darth Wong
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Very Lovecraftian (something I can finally say now that I'm reading a collection of his stories). Very, very good. Some of the best stuff I've ever written is based on dreams. Glad to see someone else keeping the tradition alive. :D
JADAFETWA
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Interesting. Did you start seeing green buildings designed with non-euclidian geometry after that?
Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Not quite.

There were two buildings - semi-detached so they shared one wall. a black one and a grey one. the grey one looked nicer, but it was secretly more evil.

I went into the black one and it was like a cave inside, with green moss seeping from the walls like blood.

You might ask why i went into either. Well, you see, in the dream it was part of my school assessment.
- Darth Wong
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Lusankya
ChiCom

Post by Lusankya »

Wow. that's like an amalgamation of the worst parts of every nightmare I've ever had, except there aren't any evil supermarkets in it.
- Darth Wong
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Lusankya wrote:Wow. that's like an amalgamation of the worst parts of every nightmare I've ever had, except there aren't any evil supermarkets in it.
Glad you enjoyed it.